Interesting Electric XII info

Bringing your older offset back to life.
glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Interesting Electric XII info

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 pm

Curtis, you wouldn't happen to be selling templates/making necks/bodies would you?  I have to admit it's awfuly tempting to get a decent template or body/neck and just source the parts as best I can(can you say hello Squire Venus)....
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

weijie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by weijie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 am

I was having the same thoughts!  I'd definitely also be interested. :)

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:29 am

Me three!
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

thew ebow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thew ebow » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:12 am

Mr M wrote: i really want a Maverick  :( they are so awesome to me
there is one in London in a shop on denmark street - £1395. its a refin..so probs seems a bit expensive and its in the UK!

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 am

ouch.... when i get rich i'll have not problem buying another almost $3000 guitar  :) but right now i can only have one... :(....The it being in UK isn't that bad thought, my friend is moving back there in 2 weeks to Manchester

thew ebow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thew ebow » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:26 am

cool!

well i have an original 69 custom. I was wanting a xii but the latest one came into London prices £1998 which seemed a bit sttep. I was going to instead try and pick up a coronado xii..

Curtis do you still make a coronado replacement pickups? Or could you if i got some pickups to fit inside the original cases.. cos the feedback is that the pickups along with the no-central pole makesthe pickup prone to feedback.. so I was looking to get some better pickups made for a  coronado xii and seeing how that fared...how much would it usually cost for something custom like that? as ultimately i want a hockey stick headstock xii but everyone screamed when i spoke about using a custom and just knocking out the through body block and putting back in a xii threough body bridge and making neck into xii...

i can just see people shudder again...hence why i am going along coronado xii route as it seems more afforable!

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Soiouz wrote: I always thought the butt of the XII was more rounded than the one on the JM (near the jack). The pic daydreamdelay posted of the two side by side show that pretty clearly, IMO.

Could you try and align that part too?  I'm curious to know if I'm seing things or if I'm right!
Once again I think it only LOOKS different b/c the different positioning of the control plate.  It is the same shape.
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 pm

glimmertwin wrote: Curtis, you wouldn't happen to be selling templates/making necks/bodies would you?  I have to admit it's awfuly tempting to get a decent template or body/neck and just source the parts as best I can(can you say hello Squire Venus)....
It was not my original plan, and I am busy enough w/ my pickups.  I am starting to consider it.  Let me do some looking into it.
I know of someone that just acquired a industrial inverted pattern router...  this thing will do an exact copy of an an original.
I will meet w/ him tomorrow.  I will also consider template patterns.  This is not my main area of focus, but I do have the equipment, resources to do this, and there seems to be a real need for this.  If it is not too much extra commitment of my time, and there is a meed for it...  I will commit to do it.
curtis

---

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm

CurtisNovak wrote:
glimmertwin wrote: Curtis, you wouldn't happen to be selling templates/making necks/bodies would you?  I have to admit it's awfuly tempting to get a decent template or body/neck and just source the parts as best I can(can you say hello Squire Venus)....
It was not my original plan, and I am busy enough w/ my pickups.  I am starting to consider it.  Let me do some looking into it.
I know of someone that just acquired a industrial inverted pattern router...  this thing will do an exact copy of an an original.
I will meet w/ him tomorrow.  I will also consider template patterns.  This is not my main area of focus, but I do have the equipment, resources to do this, and there seems to be a real need for this.  If it is not too much extra commitment of my time, and there is a meed for it...  I will commit to do it.
curtis

At very least if you could facilitate in cranking out a few templates or bodies/necks to the offset enthusiasts here on the board, that might be enough to help get the resources out there for us to share with those who are so inclined.  I have a relatively simple set up here, but once I get a little better at using the tools I have I would be willing to help out maybe with making templates but obviously a more exact way to replicate bodies/necks is the preferred method...I wonder if we could even submit a template to guitarbuildingtempaltes.com so that they could at least offer that to the offset hobbyist...

Just talking out loud here to no one in particular...

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:22 pm

glimmertwin wrote:
CurtisNovak wrote:
curtis

At very least if you could facilitate in cranking out a few templates or bodies/necks to the offset enthusiasts here on the board, that might be enough to help get the resources out there for us to share with those who are so inclined.  I have a relatively simple set up here, but once I get a little better at using the tools I have I would be willing to help out maybe with making templates but obviously a more exact way to replicate bodies/necks is the preferred method...I wonder if we could even submit a template to guitarbuildingtempaltes.com so that they could at least offer that to the offset hobbyist...

Just talking out loud here to no one in particular...
Thanks for the offer, I will let you know how it pans out.  I am sure some of you wont like this, and some feel I am a fraud and should be hung for charging, but this is not just my passion, it is also my business and how I make my living.  Giving it a way does not pay my rent or my equipment.  If I do this I wont charge a lot but I will need to cover my costs and time.  I am offering this, b/c I see there is a desire, and I have the equipment, and knowledge to do it correctly.  I am making it a point to offer parts such as pickups that are truly vintage correct made using the same process and materials , and doing it for items that others wont offer b/c there is not a large demand and the promises of millions in return.  In the end if I beside it is taking way too much of my time I will likely take you up on your offer.
hope you understand.

curtis

---

weijie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by weijie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 pm

I don't think you're a fraud, and what you say does make sense. :) Do keep us informed though!

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Completely understood - I absolutely think you should charge for it.  I guess what I was trying to get at was if you didn't really want to get into that business of making templates 'per se' then maybe you could let a few of the board members take over in a sense after buying templates from you.  I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't sell them or people should be competing with you - I guess I was just looking at it in terms of making sure the greater offset community keeps some sort of outlet alive for things like this because you seemed a little reluctant.  As you move in that direction I'm all for it - I think everyone here can appreciate a fellow offset enthusiast providing great pickups, templates, bodies - whatever! 

Thanks for your hard work!

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Good I am glad we understand that.  I too really dig offsets and there is just not a large market for parts.  As I said if it is just more trouble than it is worth I will open source it rather than bury it.

---

thew ebow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thew ebow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:17 am

if only there were more curtis novaks in the world! :)

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Not RWRP?

So they're not humbucking, like PBass pups?

Hmmm.
-=264=-