Jaguar Baritone

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Baritone

Post by pullover » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 am

That sounds like a great deal StevenO, you should really think about jumping on it.

Thanks Justin, I cleaned the hell out of it and it doesn't smell as bad, I threw the case in the garage and I'm gonna spray it down with febreeze as soon as I get some.

1964dodge, I think with the right tension strings and a good setup it could be a good shortscale 6 string bass, but worst case scenario I have a sweet baritone right. It may become a baritone anyway, just because it's so hard to find the right bass VI strings. I did a search on google, and I have seen a lot of people talking about which strings not to get, but I haven't seen anyone say what definitively works. I considered getting one of the HH baritones but the even shorter scale kinda turned me off, and I like the idea of being able to play bass on it if I want.

You're right about the fumbles thing SPudnik, I wouldn't say its difficult to get used to, just different.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:46 am

1946dodge wrote: pullover, I found that strung E to E I got the buzz as well. When I strung it B to B it was much better.
Many people complained that this was not a true E to E guitar , i.e. not a true Bass VI, but I think they wanted a six string bass instead of a baritone.
It makes a much better baritone (B-B or A-A) than it does a bass (E-E) IMHO, but only because I am a guitar player and not a bass player and looking for a darker guitar sound.
I dont know how a true bassist perceives this instrument.

Anyway, you will like it.
Good luck.

PS I think they discontinued this model (jaguar baritone custom aka bassVI) and are producing only the black baritone HH now.
The HH baritone is also an excellent instrument - a true baritone and I got one and gifted it to my son who is a real musician instead of a hobbiest like me.
He loves it.
does your son have a band? id love to hear it. how old? is he around my age (20)?
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:29 pm

SOme FDP types talked about having the low E tuner bored out so you could fit a thicker E string in there, resulting in better tension,less buzz etc.
I prefer their older stuff.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:17 pm

Thats a good idea, aen, I'm gonna look into that.

Check out Bill Frisell's Jag Bari on this website. I'd just post picks but they are either too large or too small.
http://gmvintagerestorations.com/examples.html

http://gmvintagerestorations.com/Imgp1355.jpg

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:46 pm

does your son have a band? id love to hear it.how old? is he around my age (20)?
mewithoutus, my son plays jazz. He used to play rock and roll a long time ago, but I can't get him to play it anymore, and he was very good.
His website is www.bigtallwish.com and has a myspace also of that name. You can hear some of it on there.

He plays a Gibson Es335 now, has used strats and a G&L Comanche and  a Heritage hollow body but now the ES335 exclusively. He only has that and the Jag baritone I gave him.
He is a pro, and I am just an amatuer.
He only needs one or two guitars, I need 20.
Seems the better you are the less you need.
Anyway, he will inherit all of mine when I go to that big Guitar Center in the Sky.
By the way, he is 30. His name is Mike and is the one with the hat on in the Myspace pics
Ed
Last edited by 1946dodge on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:08 pm

1946dodge wrote: Anyway, he will inherit all of mine when I go to that big Guitar Center in the Sky.
Sucks that you are going to hell, eh?  ;)

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Sucks that you are going to hell, eh?
If I play my guitar in hell, the devil will commit suicide.
I am that  bad.
So there is good in everything.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:25 pm

1946dodge wrote:
Sucks that you are going to hell, eh?
If I play my guitar in hell, the devil will commit suicide.
I am that  bad.
So there is good in everything.
I was refering to the "Guitar Center" part.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 pm

I go to Guitar center all the time. The upside is you get to play all the instruments before buying, rather than buying them unplayed online.
The downside is of course, every idiot in the world has had their hands on them.
I was in there one day when this dink was letting his ADHD kid go and take all these expensive guitars off the rack and playing them while he went away. The kid was banging Les Pauls, a 63 JM and other high end items around because kids dont understand especially if they are spoiled like this kid was, and the guitars were too big for him and unwieldy, plus he was a wild kid anyways.

When I saw him wack a beautiful Fender vintage XII on an amp I told him to put the damn thing back.

You guys would have had anxiety attacks if you saw this horror going on.

I just couldnt stand to see this mutilation and masacre go on while his dipshit dad was looking at drum machines or something.
He did as I told him and went away.

Hey someone had to put his foot down, although I wanted to put my foot up his dad's ass.

The kid was just a kid.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:26 pm

1946dodge wrote: I go to Guitar center all the time. The upside is you get to play all the instruments before buying, rather than buying them unplayed online.

When I saw him wack a beautiful Fender vintage XII on an amp I told him to put the damn thing back.
Which Guitar Center were you at?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 pm

StevenO wrote:
1946dodge wrote: Anyway, he will inherit all of mine when I go to that big Guitar Center in the Sky.
Sucks that you are going to hell, eh?  ;)
Hehehe...You have to listen to 13 year olds play out of tune versions of Smoke on the Water, and Ironman through Marshall stacks for all eternity!! Then, pierced, mohawked clerks tell you they can set you up for financing on that new guitar you want, and that they have the same one at home (They tell you that about every guitar you play.)
;D ;D ;D
:-X :-X :-X :-X :k
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:37 am

Well, I used it during our jam/recording session this weekend, and it was really hard to fit it in to our live sound, :-\ I can definitely see how B-B tuning could be more useful than E-E now, for instance, playing a low E is nearly impossible unless you just play the last 5 strings. Definitely won't replace the Jazzmaster for jamming, however it sounded freaking awesome doubling the Jazzmaster parts on the recordings. I went through on each song and just doubled parts, and mixed the two guitars together and wow. I love it. When I needed to go down to the low E I just played it like a bass, so it took a little change in style but it's definitely cool. A great studio tool, I suggest anyone doing recording at least look into one.
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*