Jaguar Baritone

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Baritone

Post by pullover » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Well, my Jag baritone came in the mail today. I was pretty surprised that the body was the same size as my jazzmaster, just a little thinner, and the horn is more pointy. I don't know if it's cause my Jazzmaster is a 93-94 or if all the jag bari's have a little different shape. I don't know. Anyway. I am kinda diggin the stop tail-piece on it, not so sure about changing it out now. I am still going to plan on it and get everything ready just in case. I was pretty bummed when I opened it up and the thing smelled like smoke. I can smell it now and it's all the way across the room ugh... How much do you have to smoke for a guitar to smell like it? It looked like it was set up by that monkey on a typewriter, so I put new string on it, set it up, and it sounds awesome. I can't wait to play it some more. I really like the tort guard, it makes me hate the one on my Jazzmaster even more.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Baritone

Post by Pumpkin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Kool :? I like Baritones :?

Bet it'll sound even better with decent pups!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:05 pm

That red tort made me  :k in comparison. :)

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Pumpkin wrote: Bet it'll sound even better with decent pups!
I can't wait to gut it and replace everything, but it still sounds great right now.
StevenO wrote: That red tort made me  :k in comparison. :)
;D ;D I know I need to change it out with a black one until the gold guards are done. I love black on sunburst, almost as much as gold on bursts.

MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MelWaldorf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:40 pm

Congrats Pullover!

The Jaguar Baritone body is shaped like a Jaguar which has a slightly pointier upper horn than a Jazzmaster. 

Enjoy, Mel

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 pm

I love mine. I put baritone strings on it, tuned B to B and love the sound.
The only problem with the pups is that they squeel when you play distorted, which can be corrected by rolling off the highs a little.
I guess humbuckers would be better, but they sell a Jag baritone special (looks like a Jag HH in a JM setup) with humbuckers.
Before you change out the pickups play it for a while and see what you get out of it.

This thing sounds massively awesome when you roll off the high tone and use an ebow!

I love mine, and I dont think they are going to make any more. I am glad I got one and am glad for you that you did.
Congrats and enjoy.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:57 pm

dude, so amazing.

where and how much do they sell them for? did it come with a case? can you tune it to standard? so many questions.

its either one of these or a jaguar HH, brown tort guard, fender amp knobs, and a NASA sticker ;D
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:31 pm

pullover wrote: I really like the tort guard, it makes me hate the one on my Jazzmaster even more.
You don't like Ketchup?
;D ;D ;D ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm

haha ketchup. yeah that red tort looks just wrong. i hate red tort. its like they wanted to make a cheap tort guard. ugh. why do they make it that colour??!?!??
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:54 pm

ps:

:-X :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:55 am

mewithoutus wrote: where and how much do they sell them for? did it come with a case? can you tune it to standard? so many questions.
I got this one on Ebay, they've been running around 500-600, but I contacted ishibashi and they have them for around 750 brand new delivered. They come with a gig bag new. I have this one tuned E-E like the Bass VI, it sounds great but there is a little bit of buzz on the low E and A strings around the 12th frets up. There is still laquer on all the frets in the upper registry so I imagine the former owner hardly played it up there (when he did play it, it still had the wrapping on the pick guard), and it probably needs a little fret dressing.
It's actually surprising how heavy this thing sounds. I wasn't expecting this much low end out of it, I might try restringing it and tune it up to B-B, like 1946dodge. It's really cool, I have no idea why they didn't push these more in the bass guitar section. Whenever I saw them it was in the guitar section or baritone section. I would have thought these would sell really well to bass players. You know how many times I have heard, "I would like a 5 or 6 string bass, but I can't get used to the wide neck and I don't see the point in a low B string..."? Okay, maybe only like 3 times and one of them was me, but still.
Last edited by pullover on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 am

As for the smoking issue...

I don't smoke but I've bought more than a few guitars that have reeked of it. It seemed like wiping it down a few times with standard guitar polish helped get rid of it faster. That and sitting out in the open (not in a case) should tame it down over time.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:42 am

pullover, I found that strung E to E I got the buzz as well. When I strung it B to B it was much better.
Many people complained that this was not a true E to E guitar , i.e. not a true Bass VI, but I think they wanted a six string bass instead of a baritone.
It makes a much better baritone (B-B or A-A) than it does a bass (E-E) IMHO, but only because I am a guitar player and not a bass player and looking for a darker guitar sound.
I dont know how a true bassist perceives this instrument.

Anyway, you will like it.
Good luck.

PS I think they discontinued this model (jaguar baritone custom aka bassVI) and are producing only the black baritone HH now.
The HH baritone is also an excellent instrument - a true baritone and I got one and gifted it to my son who is a real musician instead of a hobbiest like me.
He loves it.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am

I could buy a jaguar baritone that isn't pretty much in mint condition and comes with 5 packs of the bass strings for $350cdn. There is only two ding on it, one on the side of the body, and one on the neck, and I put them there. :)

I've turned down the offer for now, but may consider it in the future.

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

I dont know how a true bassist perceives this instrument.
Well, with the Bass VI they think the strings are way too close [they are, from a bassist's perspective, but that's just the design]

It's funny to hand it over to a guitar player: They start playing it, and make lots of fumbles... the extra 5 inches throws 'em way off.  :D
Bass VI - A What?