Is there a safe way to remove paint from vintage knobs?

Bringing your older offset back to life.
dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is there a safe way to remove paint from vintage knobs?

Post by dinosaur » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 am

I'm working on a 62 JM project, and someone has colored in the "Volume" and "Tone" lettering on the original knobs in something permanent, either red paint or marker.  Anyone know of a safe way to get rid of the color?

I know the color underneath will be gone, but I'd rather it was all gone than red. 

Maybe some chemical that is safe for the knobs that I can apply with a Q-tip or something?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Is there a safe way to remove paint from vintage knobs?

Post by fullerplast » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:54 am

Any kind of organic stripper that comes in a plastic container should be OK. I've seen citrus-based strippers in plastic jugs (my theory is that if its not eating the container it should be safe for your knobs). Obviously, avoid solvents. Some eat plastic and some do not. I'd hate to chance it.  No matter what, try a dab on the back of the knob first.

If it's not paint in there, but some kind of wax (or ink) marker or something, a scotchbrite pad and soap and water may remove it.  You might try a toothbrush with and without some softscrub compound or even toothpaste.

I know from sad experience that light scrubbing with a toothbrush takes off the original paint in there.  :(
Q. Are we not men?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 am

Sometimes, if it's permanent marker or one of those paint pens, you can write on it with another marker/paint pen, then immediately wipe it off and get most of it off.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks guys.

I'm not positive it's paint vs marker, so I'll try the toothbrush first.  The original paint is a goner for sure.