Re: Custom/Maverick?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:57 pm

I can also offer your choice of neck fingerboards, "Custom" or "Maverick" decal, and matching headstock.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:40 pm

Well, since I'm imposing, how about "all of the above"?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:06 am

thew ebow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thew ebow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:08 am

its a custom: identical to my other one. but neck is cleaner and in better nick/ body is a refin. I might ask luthier to restore my beaten bound neck custom. Its a olympic white refin really well done..has some dodgey holes through a tortishell pick plate not sure if its original either. May eba bit of steep price. but i am addicted to these guitars... i think the customs were slightly later than mavericks... i have heard the headstock is slightly smaller..as was made for customs..but one never knows?? what do you guys think?

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 am

I've read that the early name was "Maverick", but I also read that "Maverick" may have been a special naming for dealer(s).  I can't confirm either 100%.
My Maverick has a '69 neck date and does not show any visual envidence that it was a XII neck chopped & veneered into a six stringer.  To me this is a confusing, as the neck stamp indicates that this neck was made early in the distrubution of the Custom/Mavericks.  But, it would seem that Fender would have used up the XII neck stockpile before making any newer necks.

Does anyone have a copy of "Fender Facts #17"?  This issue introduced the model and I'm hoping it will shed some light in the subject.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:32 pm

WOW! Thanks, Darrel! Greetings from Washington DC...
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."