Fewer AVRI colours

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fewer AVRI colours

Post by StevenO » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Felix wrote:
StevenO wrote: the 75 fender Jazz bass only comes in natural! :(
but it sure does look nice.  :)
It looks even better in olympic white, rosewood neck blocks and binding and a matching headstock. I actually saw this one at a music store awhile ago. 1800, cdn. May have been vintage,

theswingincreeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theswingincreeper » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Sometimes I think it's only a matter of time when they will be down to just 3 colors, maybe black and white and sunburst. Sunburst probably will always be around. Darn, I wish I had bought one in 2001, I have a catalog from that time and they actually offered color #054 Dakota Red. The guitar of my dreams has got to be Dakota Red. (With a mint green pickguard, of course).

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:53 pm

StevenO wrote:
Felix wrote:
StevenO wrote: the 75 fender Jazz bass only comes in natural! :(
but it sure does look nice.  :)
It looks even better in olympic white, rosewood neck blocks and binding and a matching headstock. I actually saw this one at a music store awhile ago. 1800, cdn. May have been vintage,
How true. My last white guitar was a an L series mustang. I didn't care for the sound versus the JM, though. The price you saw seems to be in line with those who overcharge for AVRIs and those who undervalue originals.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Felix wrote:
StevenO wrote:
Felix wrote: but it sure does look nice.  :)
How true. My last white guitar was a an L series mustang. I didn't care for the sound versus the JM, though. The price you saw seems to be in line with those who overcharge for AVRIs and those who undervalue originals.
It looked mint, so I'm sure it was new. I had never seen anything like it before, atleast not in a store. That's actually a reasonable price for a AVRI in Canada, sadly.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:55 pm

StevenO wrote:
Felix wrote:
StevenO wrote: It looks even better in olympic white, rosewood neck blocks and binding and a matching headstock. I actually saw this one at a music store awhile ago. 1800, cdn. May have been vintage,
It looked mint, so I'm sure it was new. I had never seen anything like it before, atleast not in a store. That's actually a reasonable price for a AVRI in Canada, sadly.
Sorry to hear that man. I feel for our fender fans abroad. That's about $1400-$1500 USD, right? I paid $1300 for my AV. Pricey for sure.

This is a little off topic... I wonder, is it cheap to buy a Marshall tube amp in England? I mean we definitely overpay for them here, but what about them? They overpay for the Fender vibe, and we overpay for the Marshall madness? What a funny twist if true.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 am

Crap, I hope this doesn't mean that all the IBM AVRI JMs are gonna go up in price, because that's the color I wanted, and I wanted it new!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:55 am

stereordinary wrote: Crap, I hope this doesn't mean that all the IBM AVRI JMs are gonna go up in price, because that's the color I wanted, and I wanted it new!
There is always the refinish option.  :)
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:04 pm

I can't imagine them going up much, if at all. It doesn't seem the Inca Silver and Sherwood Green have gone up. There's a green Jag on gbase for a reasonable sum, all things considered. There's a new IBM JM there too.
Bigger in sum than parts.

Val66c
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Val66c » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:12 pm

I don't see why they can't just offer every custom color.  ???

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 pm

Felix wrote:
flatfiver wrote: There are even fewer options for the '62 Tele.
That is true. But wasn't there a limited color selection for the original '62? I could be wrong on that one.
Nope, originally you could get any guitar (maybe not "student" models) in a custom color for an upcharge.  Now you have to spend 4 grand with the Custom Shop if all you want is a different color.  It's much less expensive to buy a random color guitar and have it stripped and refinished professionally.

As for pickguards, I don't believe Fender offers a pickguard option on any guitar.  You get what they decide goes with the color of the instrument.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Musician's Friend offers options.  Not sure if they just swap out the pickguards, but that's right on their site.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:43 pm

cmatthes wrote: Musician's Friend offers options.  Not sure if they just swap out the pickguards, but that's right on their site.
Yep. Fender must deliver them with the different guards. I'm pretty sure they don't alter anything. Other places have the different guard options too (like AMS).

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:49 pm

They've got pics of different guard options, but if you look at the options menu they only have the standard combinations available.  I don't think Fender ships them any way but how they're described/pictured in the price list/catalog.  Unless they are part of a factory special run, or something MF or AMS does after the fact.  Has anyone ordered a JM with a different guard from either of these places or somewhere else?  There aren't any guard options pictured for Strats or Teles, just maple & rosewood fretboards.  I'd think if they had pickguard substitutions available for anything it would be Strats.

[edit]
I just looked at the Jags on MF and they have OTM and Surf Green listed in the options with tort guards, but then again they also still have pics of Fiesta Red and Dakota Red.
Last edited by flatfiver on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

darkstriker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by darkstriker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Crap... the CAR Jaguar has also been discontinued  :'( :'(

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:07 am

They did used to stock and sell both guards on the same colors. Maybe Fender is cutting down on the variations that leave the factory in terms of both color and guards. Either way, a new guard is still cheap and easy to change if anyone wanted a different configuration. Yeah, the colors they show aren't up to date, but whatever options they have in the scroll down price list should be okay. They generally seem to have most colors on backorder at any given time though  :(  Personally, I'd ratehr just buy an AVRI used, but that's just me. I love my AVRI Jaguar for the $900 I paid, but I'm not so sure I would want $1400 in it. But like I said, that's just me.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane