ANOTHER Squire Jagmaster in sliver sparkle...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: ANOTHER Squire Jagmaster in sliver sparkle...

Post by fullerplast » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 am

djetz wrote: I've heard that the Fender JM re-issue pickups are actually strat-type pickups in JM covers, rather than actual JM type pickups.
No, not entirely true. AVRI JM pickups are like the originals, black bobbins same size as originals and wound in a similar manner.

What you may have heard is regarding MIJ/CIJ JM pickups;  The inner part of the bobbin is much narrower than original and they are not wound all the way to the outside of the bobbin, making the actual magnetic field more the size of a Strat pickup than a JM (although the pickup itself looks like a JM pickup).

Hope this helps...
Q. Are we not men?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:48 am

I've always thought REAL P-90 are very cool...so if I were you I'll put P-90 and for a better match I'll wrap them under the Jm PU covers with their  pole screws, because I hate to see the 2 additional screws of P-90 covers..maybe a Jm pickguard could be nice at that point..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Superfuzz wrote: I've always thought REAL P-90 are very cool...so if I were you I'll put P-90 and for a better match I'll wrap them under the Jm PU covers with their  pole screws, because I hate to see the 2 additional screws of P-90 covers..maybe a Jm pickguard could be nice at that point..
Curtis Novack makes a JM P-90 http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jazzmaster.shtml
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 pm

I've heard that the Fender JM re-issue pickups are actually strat-type pickups in JM covers, rather than actual JM type pickups.
The Japanese ones, yes. The AVRIs are, as Doug points out, similar to the originals. Here you can see a comparison, with pictures: http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/v2/index ... ow=jm_pups
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:48 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: Curtis Novack makes a JM P-90 http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jazzmaster.shtml
Yeah I know but I don't see we I've to buy  these costum made P-90 for jazz when you can put standard P-90 under the standard Jm cover..however Curtis is great!!
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:42 pm

you can?
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Why just stick any p90 pickup in there when you can get a guaranteed kick ass p90 in there for not much more expensive(if anything), from a guy like Novak?

I'd go with Novak(or Lollar, etc.) over anyone else for pickup choices.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 pm

oooh, thaks for all the recommendations for the pickups. i think i might go with the quarter pounder seymour duncans...

anyway, my jagmaster came today. i took some pics:

as you can see, she wasnt babied very much. theres dings everywhere, the strap holes are stripped beyond belief. all the metal is either rusted or pitting, there are lame stickers (vinyl, too) everywhere, even on the back of the neck :o

there are no pickguard screws, the nut for the switch and the switchtip are missing, and it needs some freakin love.

luckily, i am so very ready to love this guitar and make it stage-worthy. im going down to the hardware store soon to get screws/nuts for the missing parts, then im gonna go to my guitar shop and grab some other stuff, and ill get to work on her tonight.

anyone have any ideas on how to get vinyl stickers off? the ones on the back of the neck wont peel off, ive tried. i dont care about the ones on the body much, i just want the ones on the back of the neck gone >:(

what do you guys think???
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:31 pm

i cant find my soldering iron ???
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:34 pm

how do they not peel off?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Some light heat... LIGHT heat with a hair dryer should do the trick to loosen up the gum under the vinyl.  You may have to take some goo gone or orange glow or whatever too them afterwards but that should make it easier to start peeling them up.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Jay wrote: Some light heat... LIGHT heat with a hair dryer should do the trick to loosen up the gum under the vinyl.  You may have to take some goo gone or orange glow or whatever too them afterwards but that should make it easier to start peeling them up.
ooh cool thanks for the tip.
StevenO wrote: how do they not peel off?
i cant peel them off because they are stuck pretty good on that neck. judging by all the rust he probably played this guitar alot and after playiong this neck the stickers just, steeled i guess. i cant even get a fingernail under the edge...
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:33 pm

THANK YOU JAY!!

your idea worked, i got those horrible stickers off the neck. now im gonna get some goo gone and shine her up!
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:37 pm

yes. no more stupid vinyl stickers! jay's advice worked perfectly and so she is good to go!!

that little yellow square on the bottom pic is the factory shim. my other jag has one too, but its more of a traditional shim shape. funny.

i didnt get a chance to get screws or anything else tonight, but tomorrow is when i solder the pickups in and string her up!
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 pm

What pickups are you going with? if they are chrome, I think tele knobs would be cool