Pictures added.....Just one tuner away from completion....

Bringing your older offset back to life.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Pictures added.....Just one tuner away from completion....

Post by fullerplast » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:45 am

Some '59s did NOT have nuts. The stackpole switches (without nuts) were phased in. They used whatever they had. I have a '59 harness that has a threaded stackpole switch. That was what confused me so much when I was inside the '58. I haven't seen a ton of these, but my guess is that the switch with nuts could be found (without suspicion) into 1960, and the switch without nuts can be found in 1959.

The way to tell for your particular one is the make of the switch. They look different. Those Japanese pics of the comparison of the 4 pre-62 guitars show it well. But one way to tell is the Stackpole switch says so right on it. The other one does not have the brand stamped on it IIRC. Sometimes the stackpole switches strip out and people put nuts on the back. So if you determine which switch you have, you'll be able to tell if the nuts are supposed to be there or not.

Regardless, the screws are the same for both switches. The oval heads are the same as pickguard screws, but the threads are machine screws... not wood screws. They're the same screws that hold the roller bracket to the guard. These screws are very hard to find by themselves, but they come with new switches (I think the brand they use now is Switchcraft and they are sold by GPR, Angela, Allparts, etc). If you end up having to buy a whole switch, its only around $7. Then you get the screws, and have a spare switch to keep. If you end up needing the nuts too... good luck. I don't know the size offhand or where to get them. They are tiny... smaller than 1/4"  (maybe 3/16", 7/32" or 5/32"?)....  
Q. Are we not men?

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:56 am

Thanks for all the info, Doug!!

Good idea on buying the switch to get the screws!  That certainly is the best way to get them.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Nice one!! Just for some extra info I'm gonna take photos under the hood (so to speak) tomorrow. Its a nervy experience as its just solder holding everything together but I've done it before when I tried (and failed) to flatten my slightly buckled pickguard. Its definitely a ligit switch as I wrote down all the names & serial numbers a while back (I might have posted them too) & they seemed to match with the various sites I've referenced.

Check it out tomorrow!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 pm

beautiful!  8) congrats!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm

fullerplast wrote: The tanline on the neck from the other body:  

This is pretty common when changing necks. Although theoretically the bodies should be the same, there's almost always a small difference.
Some of it can be attributed to age and different properties of wood, shrinkage*, etc. And some of it has to do with the way the neck was shimmed in the pocket. Do you have a shim in there?

I always try to rub off the line with rubbing compound and then polish the area. It can usually be minimized if not removed entirely.

Your JM looks GREAT!   8)

* I WAS IN THE POOL!

;D
What is rubbing compound & where would I get it?? Thanks for the tip.

As for the "shim" question. The neck came with a strip of very thin cardboard/wood stuck to the heel. It fell off. Is that a "shim". If so I still don't think it would make much of a difference to the alignment of the body & neck. I understand the logic though!!

Essentially I'd love to get rid of the tide mark & make the join look less....fake (which it is!!)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

this is what my shim looks like:

Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:43 pm

OK. I know what you mean know, that piece of cardboard I was talking about is identical. What does it do???

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:46 pm

it just lifts the break angle of the neck....so then the bridge is set a bit higher, which gives a sharper break angle...it basicaly gives a better playing action.

pretty cool idea
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:44 am

What is rubbing compound & where would I get it?? Thanks for the tip.
It's automotive polishing compound and comes in various grades from heavy to fine. Basically, it's a gritty paste that acts like a very fine sandpaper. After you rub it out, you'll need to polish and wax the area. The polishing gets rid of the fine etching done by the compound, and the wax will reseal the area.  Unlike sandpaper, compound isnot  intrusive enough to go all the way through the finish, unless you're a madman with it.
Q. Are we not men?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Why not just rub some dirt on there and call it a day?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:07 pm

Soiouz wrote: Great pic, Zhivago.. Although, for a 1959, there should be small nuts in the back (we had a discussion about this in the past on the forum).

I'll post pics..

So, jazzheadmark, it's just the screws that are wrong. I agree with Zhivago that they may not have to be originals, as they are scarce. I'm pretty sure the ones from an AVRI would do. By the way, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be the same as the ones holding the roller pots bracket.

It's exactly the same screws that are also missing from AJBennett107's 1958 JM in the other thread....
Maybe someone here has some in a parts bin?
There's a guy selling the whole part (as discussed before) on eBay & its not Hankeroo "The PartsMeister" so I can sleep a little easier. I've asked if he'll include the original screws (the only bits I need). Silly really but I've got this far, I might as well see it through!!

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:10 pm

If this doesn't work out, you could always do what fullerplast recommended, ie: buying a new switchcraft switch, as they come with the screws.  That would be pretty cheap (around 7 - 10$), and it's pretty certain that those new screws would fit.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:12 pm

Oh....also. The same guy (probably just another PartsMeister really) is selling the shielding I need. The main part (Volume & Tone routing section) looks fucked but thankfully I need just one piece for under my bridge pick-up.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Soiouz wrote: If this doesn't work out, you could always do what fullerplast recommended, ie: buying a new switchcraft switch, as they come with the screws.   That would be pretty cheap (around 7 - 10$), and it's pretty certain that those new screws would fit.
Y'know. That probably how it'll work out. I've lost count of the ££££'s I've put into this baby. One or two NEW screws aint gonna make a whole lot of difference in the long run. I'm just being a perfectionist I guess!! Plus the left-overs will hopefully get spread amongst the "offsetguitars.com-folks"

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 pm

By the way. One question I've never asked....

What's the normal weight for a '59-'60 Jazzmaster (get dem scales out people) cos this baby weighs a tonne. I've no scales in the house (my girlfriend doesn't like em!  :D) but I'm gonna get it weighed somehow anyway.