Everyone needs a stompbox.
yaksox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by yaksox » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:04 am

djetz wrote:
StevenO wrote: Herro?
Getting a kit is probably the best thing to do. I believe that there are plenty of Fuzz Face type-kits around - that's what I'd do if I felt a bit more inspired than I do right now.  

As Mike says, there are pedal building/modding forums around, have a look at them, they're quite interesting.
I'm deciding to start easy. I got a LPB and a big muff kit from GGG. The circuit board for the booster looks hella easy. I was really surprised how small it was.  I still haven't done it. Been too busy.

The fuzz faces look really simple. Give it a shot  :)

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:08 am

StevenO wrote: I want to take a stab at pedal building. I'd ideally like to make myself a silicon fuzz face clone. However, I'd like to add a bias pot and a mid knob. Is this easy to do?

Any links to schematics or parts lists? Could somebody possibly list all the parts I'd need? PRETTY PLEASE?!  :)

EDIT: Also, I'd be using this pedal with a humbucker-equipped guitar. Any mods that I could to make it more cooperative with my guitar?

general guitar gadgets have the kit you want. choose the "early 70s option" (fulltone '70 clone) and buy an additional 5k pot (to use instead of the internal trimpot) :)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks everyone! I know about the other forums but I figured I'd just try my luck here. Thanks! I'll check out a kit.

So it would be really difficult for me if I just wanted to source the parts myself and try to build something? I was thinking about building a booster myself and if everything worked out well, I would build the fuzz. Too much work?
Last edited by StevenO on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:53 pm

StevenO wrote: Thanks everyone! I know about the other forums but I figured I'd just try my luck here. Thanks! I'll check out a kit.

So it would be really difficult for me if I just wanted to source the parts myself and try to build something? I was thinking about building a booster myself and if everything worked out well, I would build the fuzz. Too much work?
I'm in the same boat StevenO.  I think I'm going to start on a big muff clone from byoc, and if I order I get this http://www.buildyourownclone.com/firsttimecustomer.html to start  learning on.  I have to revive my soldering skills though.  I think this is going to be loads of fun.  I need to read a bunch of material on basic electronics though, I'd like to know what everything does.
Before bringing up drugs with your kids, hook your turntables up to a wah-wah pedal.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Slow-Pop wrote: and if I order I get this http://www.buildyourownclone.com/firsttimecustomer.html to start  learning on. 
That's a pretty good deal. I'm feeling some temptation myself, now...
-=264=-

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm not expecting it to go real smooth in the beginning, I figure that kit would help me hone at least some of my skills.
Before bringing up drugs with your kids, hook your turntables up to a wah-wah pedal.

Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:31 am

StevenO wrote: Thanks everyone! I know about the other forums but I figured I'd just try my luck here. Thanks! I'll check out a kit.

How are you going to build the circuit, on stripboard?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:20 am

Mike wrote:

I don't know. That's sort of what I was wondering. Would that be difficult? I'm not bad at soldering, I've just never built a pedal before, let alone a circuit.

Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 am

StevenO wrote:
Mike wrote:

I don't know. That's sort of what I was wondering. Would that be difficult? I'm not bad at soldering, I've just never built a pedal before, let alone a circuit.
In that case I recommend you forget any ideas of building one yourself from scratch and build a kit first. You'll have everything you need in terms of parts and also instructions. After that you can start thinking about treading your own path. There are many things you need to learn which the kit will help you with:

1. How do you fix the board in the case not to ground out?
2. How do you wire a 3PDT switch?
3. How do you ground everything together?
4. How do you implement input jack power switching to conserve a battery?
5. How do you wire a DC jack to disconnect the battery while in use?
6. How do you wire up input and output jacks?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:05 am

listen to the man, steven.

timhulio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timhulio » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:52 am

Some nice effects and artwork. I've been building a few too:

MXR Dist+ / Pushme-Pullyou / Green Ringer:

Green Russian Big Muffs

Gingham covered Harmonic Percolators

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:46 pm

mynameisjonas wrote: listen to the man, steven.
DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOU SWEDISH MEATBALL!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Mike wrote:
StevenO wrote:
Mike wrote: How are you going to build the circuit, on stripboard?
In that case I recommend you forget any ideas of building one yourself from scratch and build a kit first. You'll have everything you need in terms of parts and also instructions. After that you can start thinking about treading your own path. There are many things you need to learn which the kit will help you with:

1. How do you fix the board in the case not to ground out?
2. How do you wire a 3PDT switch?
3. How do you ground everything together?
4. How do you implement input jack power switching to conserve a battery?
5. How do you wire a DC jack to disconnect the battery while in use?
6. How do you wire up input and output jacks?
Good, good. That's what I was wanting to hear. Thank you! :)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Here's a new pedal I custom built for a friend named Rudy that I call the Rüdy. It's a tweaked OD250 (LED clippers, tone control, and a few other value tweaks) and a AMZ MOSFET clean boost in one box.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Wow!

That looks super professional Jay, both inside and out!

Nice work!!

justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane