Do you oil your fretboards?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Do you oil your fretboards?

Post by zhivago » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:24 pm

and if yes, how often?

I've been shaking my head in disbelief...the Jaguar I got a couple of weeks ago felt a bit uninviting, and I was getting fed up with it...after oiling the really dry fretboard (I don't think it's EVER been oiled!!!  :o) it now feels great to play!

on my Jazzmaster, I oil the neck once every 6 months or so...I've heard people saying it should be once a year, but using a bit (not soaking the fretbord) of this PRS  :o oil-fretboard-thing works so well, and keeps my fretboard clean and nice to play
8)
Resident Spartan.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you oil your fretboards?

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:26 pm

yeah! I do every time I change the strings. I think it helps guard against weather changes and it feels so nice!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:58 pm

I oil mine too. I just keep an eye on them (the fretboards) and oil whenever they start to look like they need it. It does make a neck feel way better and play much easier. I used to use some Gibson oil/ conditioner, but I also sometimes use furniture lemon oil, which works just as well.

justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:37 pm

I just drool in it every so often.

:?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

That should do it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Never.
What types of oil you guys using?is there any household shit i could try cause my necks feel to "grippy" sorta.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Lemon oil it's an ingredient in most furniture polish
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:23 pm

I only have a spray can of furniture wax/polish stuff,i use it on the back of the neck on my mustang as it has no nitro left on it and feels strange without it.
I'll have to get something i think.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:23 pm

you can get fretboard oil at most guitar shops

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:24 pm

will do.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 am

I actually bought some (100%) rosewood oil and use that  ... much better than lemon oil which effectively is just an alcohol based cleaner fluid with lemon scent.

This is the stuff I bought locally in australia, I am sure there is similar in outher countries.

every three or four months I use the rosewood oil...  but then again the environment I live in is pretty neutral for wooden instruments.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:48 am

I oil them whenever it feels like they need it, which isn't very often. It's quite a humid environment here so that may have something to do with that.

The other side of the coin to this is that you shouldn't oil a rosewood board too often as that can cause oil to collect in the bottom of the fret slots and eventually the wood there can become spongy and frets get loose .. so my tech says, anyway. It can make a big difference to a dry board though.

I use lemon oil which is what my tech uses, although I have heard people say they won't touch the stuff though as it tends to dry the board in the long run.

Apparently one of the benefits of Brazilian rosewood is that it's naturally quite oily and tends to retain the oils from your hands quite well too.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:34 am

I generally don't unless one feels like it really needs it, which is rare. I live in a humid place too and I think it may be a factor. I have kind of oily skin too and I'd guess my fingertips are like the rest of my body. My new mustang's board is really really dry from years of closet life and no fingers on it. It definitely needs it.
Bigger in sum than parts.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:57 am

I also use lemon oil, and only when the neck is noticeably dry.  I'd say that's once a year at most.

People really have mixed views on this and I've never been clear on it.  For every person who swears that you are killing your guitar, there is someone who says he has been using it weekly since the 50s.  Who knows?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:44 am

i used some lemon oil on the (ebony) fretboard of my avalon acoustic once. It really cleaned all the gunk off the 'board, and made things nice and slippery too :) I might try it on my jazzmaster if the fretboard gets too gunked up.

i can imagine that it wouldn't be a good idea to oil your fretboard too much though.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Well, you don't want to use to mutch I give it a good rub down, let it sit for a few minutes and the wipe the excess off with a dry paper towel. (I also don't change my strings to often right now because I am not playing out)