Lovely Starcaster Photos

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lovely Starcaster Photos

Post by mewithoutus » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:19 am

the starcaster is my dream guitar. in a natural finish...........

omg i think i would die if my dream where realized one day...
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

NoFi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NoFi » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 am

Beautiful !

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:08 am

there's a really great pic of a black starcaster in this month's guitarist magazine (UK), i think it was the dude from the killers? or something, i dunno. 
apocalypse is happenning.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:57 pm

nealescott wrote: there's a really great pic of a black starcaster in this month's guitarist magazine (UK), i think it was the dude from the killers? or something, i dunno. 
Now watch as the price skyrockets!
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Hellion
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hellion » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:31 pm

They're already astronomical. This first one is $1800 under reserve. The other is $3800, but has never been owned by anyone, which is an uncommon state for anything that old. I guess I will have to be happy with a Coronado, but that's some nice guitar. Two things--why is a CBS model worth more than the older counterpart Coronado? Rarity? And why would Fender release a SUCK low-end model and re-use the name? It's a neat enough name, but it is wasted on a Costco guitar. Better to explore more Caster names, like Shadowcaster and Spellcaster, to name a few. I have actually written to Fender before to suggest that they reissue the Mandocaster. Not even a reply. That's hubris, IMO. Leo would have emailed me personally if he though it would make some scratch.  :D

Natural and Burst
What's he building in there?

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Hellion wrote: They're already astronomical. This first one is $1800 under reserve. The other is $3800, but has never been owned by anyone, which is an uncommon state for anything that old. I guess I will have to be happy with a Coronado, but that's some nice guitar. Two things--why is a CBS model worth more than the older counterpart Coronado? Rarity? And why would Fender release a SUCK low-end model and re-use the name? It's a neat enough name, but it is wasted on a Costco guitar. Better to explore more Caster names, like Shadowcaster and Spellcaster, to name a few. I have actually written to Fender before to suggest that they reissue the Mandocaster. Not even a reply. That's hubris, IMO. Leo would have emailed me personally if he though it would make some scratch.  :D

Natural and Burst
A Mandocaster reissue would probably sell about 27 units. Also, I think Starcaster being worth more now than a Coronado is partly due to rarity and partly due to looking 10000 times more badasssss.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:22 am

Hellion wrote: The other is $3800, but has never been owned by anyone, which is an uncommon state for anything that old. I guess I will have to be happy with a Coronado, but that's some nice guitar. Two things--why is a CBS model worth more than the older counterpart Coronado? Rarity? And why would Fender release a SUCK low-end model and re-use the name?
With your average beaten-up old Fender on ebay, you're bidding against a bunch of other guys like yourself, plus dealers, etc. When you get something that clean, IMHO you're bidding against guys who represent former CEOs of Toyota and so on .. it's an entirely different league of prices up there.

Coronados are cool guitars and one of my favourite bands of the 90s used one regularly. FireAarro's right about the rarity and badassness of the Starcaster, but I think the Coronado also has a reputation for having issues .. sadly I've never owned one so I don't know how much of that is factual or whether they're okay if you know what you're doing (much like Jags/JMs). Also, I think the humbuckers in the Starcaster give it an edge as well .. everyone digs WRHBs but I've never heard people rave about Coronado pups.

As for the Costco Starcaster .. go figure. Some marketing drone truly had too much coffee that morning. Dumbasses.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:28 am

You'd think Fender would try and make a more accurate reissue of the WRHBs, I'm sure there's a healthy enough demand for them. But not many younguns around know what they really sound like anyway I guess, plus the current reissues look the part and that itself sells. And something about hard to source magnets.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 am

FireAarro wrote:

A Mandocaster reissue would probably sell about 27 units. Also, I think Starcaster being worth more now than a Coronado is partly due to rarity and partly due to looking 10000 times more badasssss.
FireAarro nails it.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:03 am

I'm no killers fan but i just saw DUMMY mag at B&N and i looked for scans.

I LOVE this guys starcaster! the actual mag photo's are much better quality, an that guy is really creepy

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 am

I didn't know David Coverdale played for the Killers...  ;D

HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWNNN!!!!
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:23 am

Mr M wrote:

haha love the URL of those images killmenow4/dummy05.jpg

Also in that pic it looks like someone photoshopped his face in. Its weirding me out a bit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:41 pm

My black one looks better than that dude's sunburst, IMHO.

He gets points for having a HiWatt but loses them immediately for the hair.  ;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:55 pm

here's Jonny Greenwood and his Starcaster:

http://www.sigur-ros.it/franz/RHG/Jonny/starcaster.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3991 ... 47l0zy.jpg

looks like a 2-tone burst, and the mastervolume button has something written on it (probably 'master').

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:02 pm

i have a radiohead DVD and i've had it for a few months now and i remember thinking why isn't he playing the starcaster. and just last night i noticed he was playing it on the last song, street spirit (fade out)

it's such an awesome guitar