chavez, anyone?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

chavez, anyone?

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:35 am

this is one of my favourite bands of all time (there seems to be quite a few of those  ;)).
they didn´t exist for very long, but they managed to release two magnificent albums, "gone glimmering" and "ride the fader", both of which (eleven/ten years later) still feel really fresh. even though i´ve probably listened to them at least a thousand times each i still sometimes find new sounds that i hadn´t noticed before.

and i can honestly say they made THE best music video ever (IMO): break up you band

here´s another video: unreal is here
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Re: chavez, anyone?

Post by flatfiver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:59 am

Chavez is a great band!  A friend of mine introduced me to them a couple years ago.  You're right - both of those discs still sound fresh and both are excellent and different.

The videos are great - thanks for posting them!  I don't know if I would have ever thought to look for anything by them.  Break Up Your Band is hilarious!  This band is also made way cooler by the presence of Goldtop Les Pauls with P-90s!
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:10 am

yes, yes, yes!

I REALLY like them...fantastic band...."New room" is one of my fave songs EVER!!

http://www.matadorrecords.com/chavez/
Resident Spartan.

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:36 am

I totally forgot about the "Better Days Will Haunt You" compilation - all their songs (remastered) and videos in one package. Does anyone have this yet?

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:54 am

I will shortly...  ;)
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:14 am

Absoultely!! One of my all time faves.  I first saw them opening for Dinosaur Jr, right after they had signed to Matador, and was just blown away by their live show.  They had such a great presence. 

I actually bought an old script mxr distortion+ after talking about it with Clay Tarver at one of their shows.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:11 pm

Ian wrote: I totally forgot about the "Better Days Will Haunt You" compilation - all their songs (remastered) and videos in one package. Does anyone have this yet?
not yet, but i ordered it a couple of days ago :)

i discovered chavez a bit too late. they played at a small punk club in stockholm (i think it was in 1995) where i used to hang out all the time. i remember seeing their name on the poster, but had no idea who they were, so i didn´t go to the show. about two months later i saw "break up your band" on MTV, not knowing what band it was, and i was totally blown away. and then at the end of the song when the little info box popped up, i couldn´t believe my eyes. i was so mad at myself.
never got another chance to see them live :(

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:53 am

Due to a crazy series of lucky circumstances, I found myself in NYC on Saturday night, with my girlfriend and two tickets to see Chavez.  Oh my, if the rumors are true and a full reunion tour is in the works, you must do everything you can to check them out live.  This was my third time seeing them live, but the first since 1996, which is a record for me as far as most time between seeing a particular band live.  They haven't missed a beat and just absolutely killed.

They played almost every song from the two albums, an early b-side, and both sides of the first 7".  There was only one song I did not know, and I think maybe that was a new song, I'm not sure.  Amazingly fun show though.  They were all really into it and it was my first concert experience where I truly felt like a silly high school kid again.  Fuck any actual high school reunion, this was it.  One of the best concerts ever, when you factor in the show itself plus nostalgia.

Do whatever you can to see them if they decide to tour, you will not be sorry.

Here is the opening number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBVL1B_DzY  (not my video)

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:59 am

wow, thanks for the link. i really hope they make a world tour out of it. is that scott marshall on the bass? hard to tell if ot is him or not :-\

anyone seen "boys making music, music making men" btw? the version that´s commented by scott´s dad is just priceless ;D

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:28 am

Yup that's him on bass, just with short hair.  He flew in from Louisiana that morning!  They had one full practice in the afternoon, and it was their first practice since 1999, or so the story goes.  He was rocking his 4001 with all the same old moves, it was hysterical.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:41 pm

wow!

they're back together??

*prays for a London show*

sometimes I'm slow, guys...so if you do see tour dates for England, do let me know!!!
Resident Spartan.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:51 pm

zhivago wrote: wow!

they're back together??

*prays for a London show*

sometimes I'm slow, guys...so if you do see tour dates for England, do let me know!!!

They actually claim they never broke up!  Just taking a break.  Anyway, they were to get back together to do 3 or 4 shows, but Matt broke his hand, so they had to cancel one or two.  This past Saturday in NYC was the first.  Then San Francisco in a week or so.  No official plans after that, but the fairly reliable rumor is that they will do a full tour and 3rd album if the shows go well. 

And I will definitely let you know what I hear.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:07 pm

hehe...a long break then...hehe....cool!

hope to see them soon-ish, then :)
Resident Spartan.