let's see them 70s Jazzmasters/Jaguars!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: let's see them 70s Jazzmasters/Jaguars!

Post by Carbohydrates » Fri May 30, 2008 1:11 pm

carli28 wrote: Fender THICK SKIN - gloss finish... Haha..
Funny how the times are changing right?
No kidding! Have you seen all these new Gibsons specifically advertising a "short tenon neck joint?" That cracks me up.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri May 30, 2008 1:21 pm

That's funny that they actually advertised "thick skin" finishes.... ::)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 am

carli28 wrote: If there were a more authentic looking repro guard i guess i would replace it.
you have no reason to believe it's not the original guard. so i wouldn't be inclined to replace it. it looks great as is and i didn't mean to doubt it's originality - i was merely interested to know whether 70's pickguards were generally like yours and that it has different layers to the 60's ones.
i feel bad now  :'(
p.s.  all these b&b jazzmasters look great.  :?  8)

carli28
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by carli28 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:24 am

No please don't feel bad. I have always wondered if the guard was a repro in the first place..
I don't care about it's originality or value, as i will never sell it. For sentimental reasons.
:)

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Sat May 31, 2008 7:15 am

carli28 wrote: No please don't feel bad. I have always wondered if the guard was a repro in the first place..
I don't care about it's originality or value, as i will never sell it. For sentimental reasons.
:)
8)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm

sorry. im bring back this thread after the idea got in my head to build a 70's blackguard style jazzmaster and i've been using this for inspiration
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 pm
ok i see there's A LOT of 60s offsets everywhere, but we hardly get to see the ones from the 70s, or even the last-issue early 80s ones.
now's the time to show off!!!

let me start with a guitar the HOPEFULLY someday soon will be mine. she's my other ex-guitarrist's 1972 jazzmaster...

she's quite beat up like i love 'em (looks pretty clean in the pic, though) and yeah... has gone thru a HORRIBLE fretboard swap which will have to be reversed someday. she's basically unplayable as-is, so now she's got a cheap squier strat neck on. bummer. i LOVE the b&b necks...  :'(

see how they just ripped off the old fretboard and glued a 1 inch thick board on there. THE HORROR.

oh well... so i say... she will be mine, oh yes... she WILL be mine.
*sigh*

now let's see yours!
oh and them blackguards too!!!  :?

Pat.
I’ve seen a lot of disgusting guitar mods in my life but I think this is about the most offensive I’ve ever seen. Just beyond any reasonable explanation why someone would do that - it’s unjustifiable and fucking pisses me off. I know that people were buying these guitars for $50 or whatever at one point but motherfucker what would possess you to do this? Aesthetically it’s objectively worse looking, functionally it’s unplayable and I feel like the cases that actually necessitate something like this are super, insanely, comically rare (though I’m not a tech so maybe someone who is can confirm that - I’ve never heard of someone needing a new fretboard before outside of someone smashing their shit beyond recognition. Even then though! Probably rarely ever is this a necessary repair.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread yet but I hope you were able to salvage this thing my dude.

jeff m.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jeff m. » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm

IIRC, there was a thread quite some time back in 'Vintage Restorations' on the resurrection of that neck..is that right, Pat ?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm

I’ve seen a lot of disgusting guitar mods in my life but I think this is about the most offensive I’ve ever seen. Just beyond any reasonable explanation why someone would do that - it’s unjustifiable and fucking pisses me off. I know that people were buying these guitars for $50 or whatever at one point but motherfucker what would possess you to do this? Aesthetically it’s objectively worse looking, functionally it’s unplayable and I feel like the cases that actually necessitate something like this are super, insanely, comically rare (though I’m not a tech so maybe someone who is can confirm that - I’ve never heard of someone needing a new fretboard before outside of someone smashing their shit beyond recognition. Even then though! Probably rarely ever is this a necessary repair.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread yet but I hope you were able to salvage this thing my dude.
most of pat's guitars will be more offensive then. however we cant say anything bad about the crackwhore jaguar or we will find the spirit on an angry mexican lady at the foot of our bed ready to steal our souls and feed them to satan.

but this guitar was pretty fucked up when pat got it. the neck restoration took a good 5 years. i'm sure pat has the links somewhere.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm

I know parts of that read like I was calling out the poster as if he’d done it but that wasn’t the case at all, just wanna make that clear haha. Specifically speaking about the dickhead who ever did this shit.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm
I know parts of that read like I was calling out the poster as if he’d done it but that wasn’t the case at all, just wanna make that clear haha. Specifically speaking about the dickhead who ever did this shit.
ah yeah, i agree with that. but the mods look like they were done between the 80's and 90's. so that tells you all you need to know.