Re: blocks & binding

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:18 pm

If you really want an accurate Jazzmaster neck, that warmoth one is WAY off.....

- smaller headstock (aka, Strat)
- there's a block at the 21st fret, most Jazzmasters don't have one there if they have blocks and binding
- The binding seems too thick
- the blocks look more like Les Paul stock than what was used on nthe Jazzmaster
- the neck has 22 frets instead of 21, a normal Jazzmaster neck has 21 frets regardless of age
It's Me

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:29 pm

So whats the deal between binding & no bindings? I (as you may have noticed from my over-frequent & novice-like questions) am looking to add a tasty neck to a tasty body. I love the MOP inlay business but I want that old pre-CBS neck look without the bindings. I've got a bag of MOP from ebay for next to nothing. There's a guy who's quoted me £300-400 (not dollars!) to make it! Is that a rip off? Is there an established company out there that'll do it for less??

As Mezcalhead says though, you can't have a Jazzmaster without a BIG fuckin' head!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:09 pm

This is what my ideal Jazzmaster would look like (with a little help from Photoshop...)
  As you can see, I'm definitely not a purist so I wouldn't mind the historical inaccuracies of a Warmoth neck.  It's definitely better than what I have on it now which is a stratacoustic neck.
  Personally, I think that Warmoth neck back on page one is pretty slick, so who knows.  I just might get it so I can (as my dad used to say) "have rest in my ass!"
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:54 am

berlinbetty wrote:   This is what my ideal Jazzmaster would look like (with a little help from Photoshop...)
  As you can see, I'm definitely not a purist so I wouldn't mind the historical inaccuracies of a Warmoth neck.  It's definitely better than what I have on it now which is a stratacoustic neck.
  Personally, I think that Warmoth neck back on page one is pretty slick, so who knows.  I just might get it so I can (as my dad used to say) "have rest in my ass!"
Lee from Sonic Youth has this one....

Resident Spartan.

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:05 am

I'm fretting about re-fretting my 1967 neck or not... block/bound... keep it as is for (whatever) collectors-value and putting an aftermarket neck on the JM for playing... or go the re-fret-route.... hmmmmm
Last edited by Webrocker on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
look ma, no string-buzz

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 am

this issue seems to come up once in a while and I understand the desire to keep a guitar original but I've never been able to get what's so collectable about a poorly playing guitar?

I'd much rather play the original 39 year old neck with a quality fret job than stick it in a box in favor of a new repro neck.. that just doesn't make sense to me  :(

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:29 am

95% agreed.
the last 5% is like, maybe one time in future i need to sell the guitar and could need all the money i could get out from it... gnargh. ::)
look ma, no string-buzz

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 am

I can appreciate that, I've been there but between unplayable or new frets... which wins?

are the unplayable frets really worth more because they're original?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am

I've re-fretted the '67 Jazzmaster that I used to own...played really well afterwards.

of course, it was a refin.

in all fairness, the way I see it is that if it's a killer guitar, I'll always re-fret...I only live once and I wanna play the guitar first and foremost :)

I think as years pass, good re-frets will become widely acceptable...some of these guitars are 50 years old...the only guitars I could think of that might not need an refret after all these years are once kept in their case without being played :(

my 2p :)
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:55 am

Frets are consumables. To me, it's kind of like tires. I have new radials on my '68 Firebird, because I like to actually drive it now and again. I'd hate to be riding around on old, bald bias-ply maypops.

Of course, who wouldn't want a mint 100% example... but if you plan to play it, I vote for the refret.
Q. Are we not men?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 am

good analogy Doug!

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Frets

Post by jetset » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Every fret job I've had, the guy at most replaced the first four or five frets and leveled everything, rather than replacing all of them.  Depending on how low they've gone, that can be the best for both the guitar and your wallet.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:36 pm

fullerplast wrote: Frets are consumables. To me, it's kind of like tires. I have new radials on my '68 Firebird, because I like to actually drive it now and again. I'd hate to be riding around on old, bald bias-ply maypops.

Of course, who wouldn't want a mint 100% example... but if you plan to play it, I vote for the refret.
Great analogy, and plus guitars are meant to BE played, they weren't designed to sit around and just look at em. Play it (don't abuse though) and if it needs a refret to be played and enjoyed, go for it
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:25 pm

If you wanna be picky the dressing room blocks aren't that accurate either :P
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:32 am

fullerplast wrote: Frets are consumables. To me, it's kind of like tires.
Yep, great analogy. :-)
Matter resolved. It's my favorite playing and gigging guitar, and to keep it this way it needs to have new frets.
Thanks for all your input!
:-*
look ma, no string-buzz