Flatwounds on JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
aram
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Flatwounds on JM

Post by aram » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:32 pm

I am a strong proponent of flatwounds, particularly on my jaguar.

They sound SWEEEEEEEEEEEET.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm

JVG wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:08 pm
With the Pyramid Fusion set, I found that the initial attack you speak about disappeared fairly quickly, and they became a fairly mellow string. I’m not suggesting that's either a good or bad thing.

Your description of the wrap winding style was spot on. Maybe they should call these ‘angular flats’ or something!

Anyway, I’m about 10 months into my set, and after some initial uncertainty (mainly due to the rough feel) I have grown to really like them.

I also found them to be incredibly stable - they don’t seem to go out of tune at all.
Likewise, I tuned mine initially, tweaked a couple of strings slightly, and it’s stayed in tune ever since. I predict a long life for these strings.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:26 pm

aram wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:32 pm
I am a strong proponent of flatwounds, particularly on my jaguar.

They sound SWEEEEEEEEEEEET.
I have a Jaguar I built from Warmoth parts, AKA the WarJag’ which has Pure Vintage ‘62 pickups. It’s pretty decent sounding, and it has the Fusion Flats. I also have a Squire CV ‘70s Jaguar, which sounds just as good. It currently has a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies that add about a week old, but when those start to show their age, I have a set of Thomastik Jazz Swings that I’ll install. Basically, I hope to have two different sounding Jaguars, the Squier for the old school Surf sound and the WarJag’ with more of a Fusion/Blues sound, although this also works well for Surf.

Interestingly, the Squier also does an excellent impression of a Jazz axe, on the Rhythm circuit.

Abandoneur
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Abandoneur » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 pm

My JMJM sports TI Jazz Swing .11s., as does my Eastman AR371. They are the business. And I'd rather spend a little more on the front end for the very best flat wounds, when they last so long I save money in the long run, while sending a few less strings to the landfill. For jazz and surf, gotta have flats.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 am

Synchro wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm
JVG wrote:
With the Pyramid Fusion set, I found that the initial attack you speak about disappeared fairly quickly, and they became a fairly mellow string. I’m not suggesting that's either a good or bad thing.

Your description of the wrap winding style was spot on. Maybe they should call these ‘angular flats’ or something!

Anyway, I’m about 10 months into my set, and after some initial uncertainty (mainly due to the rough feel) I have grown to really like them.

I also found them to be incredibly stable - they don’t seem to go out of tune at all.
Likewise, I tuned mine initially, tweaked a couple of strings slightly, and it’s stayed in tune ever since. I predict a long life for these strings.
I just ordered a set.
There’s a few reviews on other sites too, and everything I’ve read sounds interesting, I’m very anxious to get them, I think I’m going to really like them.

I like both pyramids rounds and flats, so I think it’s just going to be a matter of like or love them for me.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:47 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 am
Synchro wrote:
JVG wrote:

I just ordered a set.
There’s a few reviews on other sites too, and everything I’ve read sounds interesting, I’m very anxious to get them, I think I’m going to really like them.

I like both pyramids rounds and flats, so I think it’s just going to be a matter of like or love them for me.
Three weeks on, with this set, and I’m only more impressed. They are good for a wide variety of sounds. Use a thick pick, and they are mellow, use a Fender Medium and they get Surfy, in a big hurry.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

Has anyone used Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwounds on a Jazzmaster? It says they have a cobalt alloy wrap. I'm not really a fan of their cobalt round wounds, but I can't remeber if I ever put them on a Jazzmaster. On the other hand I tried TI Jazz Swings on Jazzmaster, but didn't care for the tone. I like to keep Chromes on a few different guitars, plus D'Addario Half Rounds on a Jaguar.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:45 am

Synchro wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:47 am
sugarandopium wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 am
Synchro wrote:

I just ordered a set.

Three weeks on, with this set, and I’m only more impressed. They are good for a wide variety of sounds. Use a thick pick, and they are mellow, use a Fender Medium and they get Surfy, in a big hurry.
Wow these are really sweet.

Only regret is that I didn’t get the 12s with the wound 3rd. I put the 11s on the classic player, seemed fitting with the whole ‘fusion’ thing going on.
Am so impressed that I’m ordering the 12s for one of the traditional spec’d this weekend.

I can’t even really put into words what they’re like.
I strung them up Thursday and only really had time to play for 10 mins.
They were like a high quality round (think TI rounds) in feel and sound, strangely a bit more finger noise than the TI rounds, but not complaining, just an odd observation for something with flat winding.

I played last night for about an hour and they’ve mellowed into something really nice.

They’re not even close to flats in the traditional sense. The only thing that hints to flats is the winding looks like a flat.
I could imagine a lot of pissed off people that bought these excited for a new pyramid flat and not reading about them beforehand.

I also noticed the sensitivity to different picks, completely changes the timbre, perhaps even more than any other string I’ve experienced.

Extremely low tension like a flat, I tried to tune to d standard and they were so loose it really didn’t work well at all (another reason I wish I got the 12s)

Very fun set so far. Overall very happy with them!!

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:53 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:45 am

Only regret is that I didn’t get the 12s with the wound 3rd. I put the 11s on the classic player, seemed fitting with the whole ‘fusion’ thing going on.
Am so impressed that I’m ordering the 12s for one of the traditional spec’d this weekend.

They were like a high quality round (think TI rounds) in feel and sound, strangely a bit more finger noise than the TI rounds, but not complaining, just an odd observation for something with flat winding.

I played last night for about an hour and they’ve mellowed into something really nice.

They’re not even close to flats in the traditional sense. The only thing that hints to flats is the winding looks like a flat.
I could imagine a lot of pissed off people that bought these excited for a new pyramid flat and not reading about them beforehand.

I also noticed the sensitivity to different picks, completely changes the timbre, perhaps even more than any other string I’ve experienced.

Extremely low tension like a flat, I tried to tune to d standard and they were so loose it really didn’t work well at all (another reason I wish I got the 12s)

They are unlike any other string I’ve tried. I’ve bought a few sets to keep on hand, ‘cause I intend to keep these on my WarJag (Warmoth Jaguar build) for the long haul. When I play that Jaguar, I change picks for different songs. For Surf, a Fender Medium or a Dunlop 486ML, to maximize drip. For warmer sounds, I use a Dunlop 477-205, which is a slightly oversized version of a small teardrop Jazz pick, with the slightest hint of a sharp point. This gets me into a warmer sound, and is good for a wide range of material, including Fusion. The pick makes a big difference with these.

I keep TI Jazz BeBop rounds on one of my Gretsch Tennesseans, and these are exceptionally good strings, as well. It’s a fairly bright sound, and like all TI Jazz strings, they seem to last exceptionally well.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:47 am

tammyw wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am
Has anyone used Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwounds on a Jazzmaster? It says they have a cobalt alloy wrap. I'm not really a fan of their cobalt round wounds, but I can't remeber if I ever put them on a Jazzmaster. On the other hand I tried TI Jazz Swings on Jazzmaster, but didn't care for the tone. I like to keep Chromes on a few different guitars, plus D'Addario Half Rounds on a Jaguar.
I wasn’t aware EB had released these, but I am interested. I will pick up a set at some stage, in the spirit of my continuing string adventure! Seems like they will be on the brighter end of the spectrum, tone-wise, which would suit some guitars better than others.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 am

Synchro wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:53 am
sugarandopium wrote:

They are unlike any other string I’ve tried. I’ve bought a few sets to keep on hand, ‘cause I intend to keep these on my WarJag (Warmoth Jaguar build) for the long haul. When I play that Jaguar, I change picks for different songs. For Surf, a Fender Medium or a Dunlop 486ML, to maximize drip. For warmer sounds, I use a Dunlop 477-205, which is a slightly oversized version of a small teardrop Jazz pick, with the slightest hint of a sharp point. This gets me into a warmer sound, and is good for a wide range of material, including Fusion. The pick makes a big difference with these.

I keep TI Jazz BeBop rounds on one of my Gretsch Tennesseans, and these are exceptionally good strings, as well. It’s a fairly bright sound, and like all TI Jazz strings, they seem to last exceptionally well.
Agree with everything you said.
I had ti bebop’s on the guitar that the fusions went on, love them too.

If you like the bebop’s you should try the ti blues sliders if you haven’t, I like them a bit more even than the bebops, possibly my fav round, only downside to them is they’re not offered in heavier gauges.
Only 2 sets, 10-48 being the heaviest, this set is very similar to the bebop 11s

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:22 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 am
Synchro wrote:
sugarandopium wrote:

If you like the bebop’s you should try the ti blues sliders if you haven’t, I like them a bit more even than the bebops, possibly my fav round, only downside to them is they’re not offered in heavier gauges.
Only 2 sets, 10-48 being the heaviest, this set is very similar to the bebop 11s
As it is, I have, literally, a lifetime supply of TI Jazz Swings and Jazz BeBops, in assorted gauges, or I would. When I buy strings, I vacuum bag them in a package that contains a humidity indicating desiccant pac and can store strings rust free for years. Over the years I’ve built up a nice stock of the string sets I use most often. I’m in the process of laying in a supply of Fusion Flats, now, because these will definitely end up in use on my WarJag, over the long haul.

Today’s project, assuming that the caffeine does its work, will be the hopefully final, setup on the WarJag. I just got a Stewart McDonald dial indicator fitting for measuring string height, and I’m going to try setting it up to match the setup specs on my Squier CV ‘70s Jaguar, which plays perfectly. I have one nut slot that is about .010 too high, and one fret that could use some love, and I should be good to go.

RocketKing
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RocketKing » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:09 pm

sugarandopium wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 am
Synchro wrote:
sugarandopium wrote:

I have blues sliders 10 on my Gibson ES 339 and they're the best sounding strings I have. Great feel and vintage sound.
Too bad as you said they only come in light gauges.
I recently put a set of thomastik jazz bebop 12 on my Jaguar after Synchro recommended them to me on another forum and they are also a very nice set, similar to the Blues Sliders.
I'm tempted to go up to jazz swing 13s though next time around.
Under the Tuscan sun

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:45 pm

Synchro wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:22 am

I’m in the process of laying in a supply of Fusion Flats, now, because these will definitely end up in use on my WarJag, over the long haul.
Theyre 15% off at cme right now!

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm

sugarandopium wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:45 pm
Synchro wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:22 am

I’m in the process of laying in a supply of Fusion Flats, now, because these will definitely end up in use on my WarJag, over the long haul.
Theyre 15% off at cme right now!
Thanks for the heads up.