Re: Jazzmaster neck and bridge pu's... the same?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:07 am

daydreamdelay wrote: oh and.. how can you tell the difference?
Try a compass....

bridge:

neck:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:54 am

well according to the seller there's no difference whatsoever..

HELLO, BOTH OF THESE PICKUPS ARE ORIGINAL TO THE JAZZMASTER THAT I PARTED OUT AND LISTED ON E-BAY,
YOU GOTTA STOP SMOKING THAT STUFF.

::)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:31 am

I guess you're just going to have to buy them both and sell the other one to somebody on here... for double the price.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
daydreamdelay wrote: oh and.. how can you tell the difference?
Try a compass....
brilliant idea doc! :)
daydreamdelay wrote: well according to the seller there's no difference whatsoever..

HELLO, BOTH OF THESE PICKUPS ARE ORIGINAL TO THE JAZZMASTER THAT I PARTED OUT AND LISTED ON E-BAY,
YOU GOTTA STOP SMOKING THAT STUFF.

::)
he actually said that?  :o

he obviously doesn´t know much about fender pickups...

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 am

i just had a look at that auction, and it looks like one of the pickups have a white hot lead and the other one has a yellow one. maybe be that could help figuring out which is which..?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the pups are not the same...I mean I hear that when you buy a set of AVRI pups, they got a different colour dot on each of them (or something amongst these lines)

why would that be if they were the same?  ???
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:16 pm

...and have you ever heard of a jazzmaster (in stock condition) that didn´t have hum cancelling in the middle position?

this guy is just ignorant.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:28 pm

yeah, that guy sounds like an idiot....to answer that other thing...I always thought that the neck pup was hotter, because I read articles years ago about les paul players swapping round their neck pus and putting them in the bridge position to get a hotter signal  ???

or maybe I got it all confused?
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:49 pm

zhivago wrote: yeah, that guy sounds like an idiot....to answer that other thing...I always thought that the neck pup was hotter, because I read articles years ago about les paul players swapping round their neck pus and putting them in the bridge position to get a hotter signal  ???

maybe they wanted a hotter signal from the neck pickup? the usual pickup configuration (nowadays) on standard gibsons is a 500T at the bridge and a 496R at the neck. the 500 being 4 units hotter than the 496...
but they might have done it the other way around at some point... and i have no idea if fender wound their pickups differently in the 60s, so you shouldn´t take my word for it. :)

all i know for sure is that if you place two identical pickups in the neck and bridge position, at the same distance from the strings, the signal from the neck pickup will be considerably louder.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:02 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
zhivago wrote: yeah, that guy sounds like an idiot....to answer that other thing...I always thought that the neck pup was hotter, because I read articles years ago about les paul players swapping round their neck pus and putting them in the bridge position to get a hotter signal  ???

maybe they wanted a hotter signal from the neck pickup? the usual pickup configuration (nowadays) on standard gibsons is a 500T at the bridge and a 496R at the neck. the 500 being 4 units hotter than the 496...
but they might have done it the other way around at some point... and i have no idea if fender wound their pickups differently in the 60s, so you shouldn´t take my word for it. :)

all i know for sure is that if you place two identical pickups in the neck and bridge position, at the same distance from the strings, the signal from the neck pickup will be considerably louder.
agreed! :)

man...what's the time over there?

it's 1am here...gotta get some sleep....speak tomorrow :)
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:43 am

hehe, yeah i´m one hour ahead of you ( i think ???), so it was pretty late... insomnia is a bitch.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:01 am

mynameisjonas wrote: hehe, yeah i´m one hour ahead of you ( i think ???), so it was pretty late... insomnia is a bitch.
yeah, been having trouble trying to sleep too lately :(
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 am

Definitely different.

Even the original Fender schematic has a statement (such as) on it:

"WHEN ORDERING REPLACEMENT PICKUPS BE SURE TO SPECIFY RHYTYM OR LEAD"

They get installed 180 out, the neck pickup goes in with the leads at the top, bridge at the bottom. Both pickups have black and white leads.If you hold a true "set" of pickups top to top, they should attract each other.

Visually, there's no way to tell AFAIK. I am not even sure about the winding, but the polarity is definitely opposite.
we need doug or jim for this one i think...
My memory by experience messing with these, and confirmed by the schematic on Jim's site.   :)

By the way, I've had two JMs that did NOT have reverse polarity, and both appeared to be original. I can totally understand the factory goofing it up, since they're not marked. Luckily I had both JMs at the same time when the issue came up, and swapped one from each and made two reverse sets. To tell the truth, I really don't think it made much difference in sound or noise, still the sweetest pickups either way....
Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

lapsteel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lapsteel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 pm

In my '66 the neck pickup has a white and a very dark blue/green wire (almost black), and the birdge has a black and a white.

If you look at the pickup from the wires side, the neck should be white (left) and dark blue (right) and the bridge should be black (L)  and white (R)

Both read 7,5 kohms approx.
Last edited by lapsteel on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.