Fender Dimension IV - anyone have one?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Fender Dimension IV - anyone have one?

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm

I'm interested in one of these but I don't know much about them. I know there are two versions and I don't know which one is better. I plan to use it with line level mostly (synths, re-amping vocals and other instruments). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Dimension IV - anyone have one?

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 am

I had one and my ancient pre-divorce-time demo is still on YouTube.
It's fun but not too useful, really. Like a fast phaser or so.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am

I played one once in a vintage shop years ago. It would probably be fine for synth if you’re going for a ‘60s organ sound. Probably too much for vocals unless you want to sound like a Dalek from Dr. Who.

It’s more of a spinning speaker cabinet effect with slap back delay than a phaser, or at least that’s the intention I think, the circuit is probably creating a phased signal. Not any closer to a real Leslie than the Univibe was, and that’s basically a phaser type pedal.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 am

i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Hmmmm yeah that sounds really nice.

what about this version though?

https://reverb.com/item/17127764-fender ... alone-unit

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm
Hmmmm yeah that sounds really nice.

what about this version though?

https://reverb.com/item/17127764-fender ... alone-unit
Yes. That’s the type I tried. It’s a stand alone unit that you can plug straight into. It has a tube preamp, so you don’t need a Fender reverb amp to power it.

I don’t think there’s any other difference. It might sound a little different not relying on a Fender amp, but you can use it with any amp and sound consistent.

The one I tried sounded like Pat’s demo. A fast phaser/spinning speaker effect with some slap back echo. Since you can’t adjust any of the settings; I mean there are probably trim pots inside you could alter, its not very versatile. Just the one sound.

I’d rather use a Univibe into a DMM to get that sound, and I do, so I can change the speed, delay time, echo level, etc.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 am

hmmm. interesting. Thanks for the info!

I'm interested in this unit cuz Tomita used one on his early records. The AKG BX20E Echo Unit was his main reverb but I think he used the Fender with his Mellotron. I assume he used the one with the 1/4" jacks but who knows.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 am

The Morley oil can echo are expensive but excellent units:

https://www.premierguitar.com/article ... ey_Evo_1

If you want a spinning echo sound. It’s closer to a Binson Echorec Sound that Tomita used than the Dimension IV, and more versatile.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:38 am

Do you need something fairly noisy by any standards, lo-fi, that has one sound, vintage, likely needing service, that if the main component breaks, is unfixable junk, that will take effort to decently integrate with modern equipment, and is bulky?

I heard a Morley Rotating Wah in the 1980s that sounded absolutely wonderful. EVERY subsequent time I've come across any variation of these units (Morley, Dimension IV, Tel-Ray), they've been broken or don't sound nearly as good as that wah did. They all use the same Tel-Ray guts.
You could relatively easily circuit bend an analog delay pedal to do the same effect. Some pedals probably have the feature built in.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:38 am
Do you need something fairly noisy by any standards, lo-fi, that has one sound, vintage, likely needing service, that if the main component breaks, is unfixable junk, that will take effort to decently integrate with modern equipment, and is bulky?

I heard a Morley Rotating Wah in the 1980s that sounded absolutely wonderful. EVERY subsequent time I've come across any variation of these units (Morley, Dimension IV, Tel-Ray), they've been broken or don't sound nearly as good as that wah did. They all use the same Tel-Ray guts.
You could relatively easily circuit bend an analog delay pedal to do the same effect. Some pedals probably have the feature built in.
Yeah, this is true. Fairfield Circuitry has an under water sounding Chorus and analog delay pedals, or Old Blood Noise Endeavor has an oil can delay simulation pedal. A pedal that I am interested in from Source Audio, the Collider, has one of the better oil can delay effects I have heard. I would check out the Strymon Volante too.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 am

Yeah the Volante seems really nice.

I’ll check out the other suggestions. Thank you!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 pm

Earthquaker has the Space Spiral which is another oil can delay-inspired pedal. I have one, and it hasn't left my board. You can turn the modulation off and just use it as a delay too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384