IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Post Reply
User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by peterherman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:36 am

I've got a Mooer Radar that I'm trying to use for headphone practice/playing when the kid's asleep. It sounds pretty decent with clean tones, modulation, etc. but with gain it gets REALLY frizzy.

I'm going through my board into a Quilter Mini 101, out the effects send, and into the Mooer which has its own headphone tap. I know that I'm getting the Quilter preamp into the signal that way, so I'm using the power amp sim on the Mooer. No matter what cab I use, though, I just get the frizzy mess with gain pedals, ESPECIALLY with a Big Muff. I turned the volume down on the Muff to about 9 o clock and while it's better, it's still crap compared to using the speaker.

I am going to try coming out of the Quilter headphone tap into the Mooer, since that's apparently a padded-down tap on the speaker output.

The Quilter sounds GREAT with fuzz and gain stuff, so I really don't think it's that. Any great IR tips to share? Please don't make me spend 4-5x what I've got into this thing on a Strymon Iridium or an HX Stomp.

User avatar
Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 am
Location: Korea
Contact:

Re: IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 am

If you’re looking for better IR recommendations, I bought a Deluxe Reverb IR pack from Ownhammer for $8 which got rid of the fizzy yet dull sounding tone I was getting from the stock IR from my Ampli-Firebox. Best $8 I spent in a long time.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

Re: IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by peterherman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 am
If you’re looking for better IR recommendations, I bought a Deluxe Reverb IR pack from Ownhammer for $8 which got rid of the fizzy yet dull sounding tone I was getting from the stock IR from my Ampli-Firebox. Best $8 I spent in a long time.
It absolutely could be the IRs themselves. The Mooer ones are...ok. I bought a huge package of them from Celestion, though, and they're not really that much better! Maybe they also have dud power amp IRs on them, I don't know.

User avatar
Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 am
Location: Korea
Contact:

Re: IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 am

peterherman wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 am
If you’re looking for better IR recommendations, I bought a Deluxe Reverb IR pack from Ownhammer for $8 which got rid of the fizzy yet dull sounding tone I was getting from the stock IR from my Ampli-Firebox. Best $8 I spent in a long time.
It absolutely could be the IRs themselves. The Mooer ones are...ok. I bought a huge package of them from Celestion, though, and they're not really that much better! Maybe they also have dud power amp IRs on them, I don't know.
I don't have much experience from Celestion's stuff, but I heavily disliked the one they had for free on their website. I actually thought it was worse than the stock Ampli-firebox IRs. Can't say if that's the case for all of their IRs though. Maybe the Quilter preamps don't really work for headphones? I dunno.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

Re: IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by peterherman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:30 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 am
peterherman wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 am
If you’re looking for better IR recommendations, I bought a Deluxe Reverb IR pack from Ownhammer for $8 which got rid of the fizzy yet dull sounding tone I was getting from the stock IR from my Ampli-Firebox. Best $8 I spent in a long time.
It absolutely could be the IRs themselves. The Mooer ones are...ok. I bought a huge package of them from Celestion, though, and they're not really that much better! Maybe they also have dud power amp IRs on them, I don't know.
I don't have much experience from Celestion's stuff, but I heavily disliked the one they had for free on their website. I actually thought it was worse than the stock Ampli-firebox IRs. Can't say if that's the case for all of their IRs though. Maybe the Quilter preamps don't really work for headphones? I dunno.
The funny/ironic thing in all of this is that I went back and just plugged into the headphone out on the Quilter and it sounded leagues better than trying to fart around with IRs. So yeah. Made my life more difficult than I needed to there.

User avatar
ManFromMars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 am

Re: IR loaders and headphone practice/playing: help wanted

Post by ManFromMars » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:07 pm

I have the HX Stomp and haven't found any free IRs that I prefer over the stock cabs. I hear good things about Ownhammer, etc. but I just can't bring myself to pay for extra IRs.

Post Reply