Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Post Reply
User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by timtam » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 pm
Good news. I just looked at the SG2000 pickups and noticed they do have an unused terminal underneath them. All I have to do is add a new shielded single conductor cable to each pickup and buy a pair of push-push pots. I can easily wire this up like an SG1000 8)
Measure the resistance across each of the different terminal combinations. That will confirm if they are actually potential coil splits.
Image

User avatar
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods
Posts: 12379
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Tarzana, CA

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:47 pm

Yep. I can read each coil separately.
There’s a pic of some SG1000 pickups here and you can see they only added an extra wire.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -267819486

User avatar
eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4897
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 am

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by eggwheat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:47 pm
Yep. I can read each coil separately.
There’s a pic of some SG1000 pickups here and you can see they only added an extra wire.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -267819486
Good news..I'm pretty certain Mr McGeoch used the coil taps.

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm

I just did an impulse bargain buy of a black SG1500 on Reverb (whoops). Will report in when it arrives. Some wear, not light (10 lbs. Ouch). We'll see who comes out on top in the fight between my back and my ears...

User avatar
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods
Posts: 12379
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Tarzana, CA

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm
I just did an impulse bargain buy of a black SG1500 on Reverb (whoops). Will report in when it arrives. Some wear, not light (10 lbs. Ouch). We'll see who comes out on top in the fight between my back and my ears...
Congrats! Amazing price if it's the one I think it is (from Oregon?)
I really love my SG2000! Yeah 10 lbs. isn't awesome (mine is the same) but it blows away my Gibson SG, which I always thought sounded amazing.

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by cestlamort » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:07 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm
cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm
I just did an impulse bargain buy of a black SG1500 on Reverb (whoops). Will report in when it arrives. Some wear, not light (10 lbs. Ouch). We'll see who comes out on top in the fight between my back and my ears...
Congrats! Amazing price if it's the one I think it is (from Oregon?)
I really love my SG2000! Yeah 10 lbs. isn't awesome (mine is the same) but it blows away my Gibson SG, which I always thought sounded amazing.
Thanks! Excited about it. That’s the one.
I haven’t played one in years but loved my old band mates’ one. I did have a LP that was not a good match (and it was more than equaled by a Studio Lord, which was way above its class) I’m curious to take a peek at the pickups to see if they can be split like yours (doubtful though). I’ll admit to periodically scouring all corners of non-English encoded guitar shop websites for a SA1200s thanks to Shadowplay’s reviews, too.
The Yamaha SG did imprint on my young mind how a guitar should sound and look (McGeoch, Adamson/Watson, err... Andy Taylor, etc)
Last edited by cestlamort on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:07 am
OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm
cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm
I just did an impulse bargain buy of a black SG1500 on Reverb (whoops). Will report in when it arrives. Some wear, not light (10 lbs. Ouch). We'll see who comes out on top in the fight between my back and my ears...
Congrats! Amazing price if it's the one I think it is (from Oregon?)
I really love my SG2000! Yeah 10 lbs. isn't awesome (mine is the same) but it blows away my Gibson SG, which I always thought sounded amazing.
Thanks! Excited about it. That’s the one.
I haven’t played one in years but loved my old band mates’ one. I did have a LP that was not a good match (and it was more than equaled by a Studio Lord, which was way above its class) I’m curious to take a peek at the pickups to see if they can be split like yours (doubtful though). I’ll admit to periodically scouring all corners of non-English encoded guitar shop websites for a SA1200s thanks to Shadowplay’s reviews, too.
The Yamaha SG did imprint on my young mind how a guitar should sound and look (McGeoch, Adamson/Watson, err... Andy Taylor, etc)
Damn yeah, that's a steal. Congrats!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

User avatar
CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:34 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 am
This is the exact guitar I bought:

https://rocknrollvintage.com/listing/31466440
I’ve played that exact guitar (R&R Vintage is 4 blocks from my work), in the Before-Times, obviously. CME is of course the local juggernaut for American vintage gear and going head-to-head with them is madness. R&R seems to want to get ahead of the curve on MIJ stuff - he’s had some extremely cool Ibanez Destroyers and Kramers and Charvels and other 80’s metal guitars that haven’t blown up pricewise yet.

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by cestlamort » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:57 pm

My SG1500 landed (and is waiting out quarantine, funnily not a joke for the first time in my life).

Took a quick peek and it looks good. (and had a note that ordering direct skips the sales tax :fp: I know we're supposed to pay sales tax whatever the case, but it still stings a little)

Image
(funny to have super high quality photos that kinda don't really show what the condition of the guitar is; it's just like this black hole in the photos. Or maybe I need a new monitor. On the plus side, this is the fastest I've received anything I've ever ordered online).
shop listing with pics

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:57 pm
My SG1500 landed (and is waiting out quarantine, funnily not a joke for the first time in my life).

Took a quick peek and it looks good. (and had a note that ordering direct skips the sales tax :fp: I know we're supposed to pay sales tax whatever the case, but it still stings a little)

Image
(funny to have super high quality photos that kinda don't really show what the condition of the guitar is; it's just like this black hole in the photos. Or maybe I need a new monitor. On the plus side, this is the fastest I've received anything I've ever ordered online).
shop listing with pics
I may have owned this very guitar circa 2004. Some of the marks look familiar. Otherwise it was a dead ringer.

I bought it for $150 in a Denton, TX pawn shop and regrettably had to sell it a year or so later. I've regretted it ever since. Enjoy it!

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by cestlamort » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm


I may have owned this very guitar circa 2004. Some of the marks look familiar. Otherwise it was a dead ringer.

I bought it for $150 in a Denton, TX pawn shop and regrettably had to sell it a year or so later. I've regretted it ever since. Enjoy it!
Whoa, that's crazy. I remember seeing what was my first electric ($40 beat up Decca tulip with a "made in canada" sticker from a dischord CD on the headstock) at a store here 15 years after I sold it and being strangely confused/conflicted (I didn't rebuy it). It's funny to trace how guitars move around (for this one: from Japan to ?? to Texas to ?? to Oregon to Seattle). If that's the case, you can totally have first refusal if it doesn't work out for me. Note: I'd probably want more than $150. ;)

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:50 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am
If that's the case, you can totally have first refusal if it doesn't work out for me. Note: I'd probably want more than $150. ;)
Please!!

Let me know. I mean, 100% of my touring income is gone until.... ???

So there's a high chance I'd have to pass, breaking my heart again. So I hope you love it!

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by cestlamort » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:50 pm
cestlamort wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am
If that's the case, you can totally have first refusal if it doesn't work out for me. Note: I'd probably want more than $150. ;)
Please!!

Let me know. I mean, 100% of my touring income is gone until.... ???

So there's a high chance I'd have to pass, breaking my heart again. So I hope you love it!
I'll do so.
However, after playing it all morning, my bet is that it'll be staying for a good while.

Having not played a Yamaha SG in years (since my bandmate's), I'm really impressed by it. The quality feels better than the (90s) Les Paul I had and it sounds better, while also being a notch above what I remember about the Yamaha Studio Lord that replaced the LP.

Some good sounds, warm and clear tone, flat neck (!), pretty heavy (especially when you first pick it up). Judging by the spontaneous stuff that I played, it makes me play differently (while also making my Rickenbacker 330 feel really weird).

(I still feel bad for the others in the band way back when: SG1500, heavy Rickenbacker 4001, while I was playing a seemingly weightless Guild SFIII).

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:47 pm

They're really great guitars. My favorite Yamahas by far

Post Reply