Hello!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Waka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello!

Post by Waka » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:11 pm

So this might be a little odd here, but I'm actually mostly a death and black metal guy. I don't really play surf or indie rock. A few months ago, before the pandemic, I went out to try some single coil guitars, for recording cleans, and because I had never actually tried any before. I was fully walking out expecting to think that maybe I'd get a Strat at some point, or maybe a Tele, or maybe I'd decide my Ibanez RG was fine for cleans after all. I did like the ones I tried! What actually happened though was, out of curiosity, I tried a Squier J Mascis and a Squier Classic Vibe - and instantly fell in love with how vibey they sounded when distorted. I can see why the shoegazers like them, and I'm partial to noise, myself :P. I've since heard that the Mascis has pickups that are closer to a P90 in character, but I liked them both, and that Mascis especially felt great. I wasn't expecting to like Jazzmasters, but I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head!

So now I'm here, mostly for information, because I'm thinking about either picking one of those up or putting one together from parts as a project. Where do you guys pick up your bodies? I'm especially curious if anyone has had luck with those affordable Chinese bodies you see around on Aliexpress, Ebay etc. Should I be worried about the whole string popping out of bridge thing, which didn't happen to me in the shop but is apparently a thing that happens? Cheers!

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello!

Post by beauzooka » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 am

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck on starting your offset journey!