PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: RIP Fulltone

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:30 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:50 am
There are other notable benefits too, like the Dave Matthews Band not existing here (unless you're reading old news reports about the 'poopgate' incident).
Such a caper that was! :D I can't stand DMB but they did earn my goodwill by dumping that poo tank out on those people.
Yep. I don't think I've heard even a single song of theirs, and I'd get blank stares if I asked anyone about them.

Poopgate is so hilarious though, and is a story that needs to be remembered/retold. I mean what are the odds there'd be a tourist boat floating underneath at that exact time?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 pm

What is the law in the US around such things? I can't imagine that dumping human waste into a inner city river would be acceptable. The fact they did this is insane to me, the fact they did it in broad daylight with a tonne of people around and so careless to not even check for river boats. :derp:
If OSG has tort me anything...

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm
Yep. I don't think I've heard even a single song of theirs, and I'd get blank stares if I asked anyone about them.

Poopgate is so hilarious though, and is a story that needs to be remembered/retold. I mean what are the odds there'd be a tourist boat floating underneath at that exact time?
It really is. I mean, I don't care who you are or how "mature" you imagine yourself to be, a bunch of people falling victim to a "death from above" fecal holocaust on a lovely summer afternoon is an absolute gut-busting, knee slapping humdinger of a cheap, dirty laff.

Their initial denial of the whole thing made it even better. I mean, they were caught dead to rights, brown-handed as it were but they stonewalled 'em as far as they could. Presumably while trying REALLY hard to keep a straight face.

As for the odds of that boat being there? No idea, but I have to just imagine it was the WILL OF GOD and that the GOOD LORD ABOVE has a great sense of humor.
Last edited by mackerelmint on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is an excellent rectangle

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:06 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 pm
What is the law in the US around such things? I can't imagine that dumping human waste into a inner city river would be acceptable. The fact they did this is insane to me, the fact they did it in broad daylight with a tonne of people around and so careless to not even check for river boats. :derp:
Oh, it was totally illegal and their bus driver... who knows what he was thinking, but maybe he was local and hated those riverboat tourists? I could be sympathetic to that.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 am

I'm happy to admit my immaturity. :D
soggy mittens wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 pm
What is the law in the US around such things? I can't imagine that dumping human waste into a inner city river would be acceptable.
It varies from state to state. You need a 'dumping' permit for it to be legal(*). Not sure about Illinois.

Keith Urban made a decent effort at this too, but was lacking the bridge/shower of shit onto a boatload of architecture tourists aspect.
Keith Urban Steals Tour-Bus-Turd Title From Dave Matthews

(*) Probably not true.
Last edited by andy_tchp on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:39 am

HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh man I hadn't heard about that one, and I disagree that he usurped the crown with it, but that's good times!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:45 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:39 am
HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh man I hadn't heard about that one, and I disagree that he usurped the crown with it, but that's good times!
"Aussie Aussie Aussie!"

Can only imagine the (complete absence of) thought process from the driver in question as they were in the process of dumping literally hundreds of pounds of liquid shit into the street.

"I'll just do it right here where I'm parked, in a large, conspicuous tour bus.

No-one will ever know."

I lost it at the end of this bit:
"There was about 150 square feet of gunk, a half an inch thick, outside the main entrance,” one employee told “Page Six,” not able to resist adding, “It was a literal shit show.”

Basically, anyone trying to get out of the concert hall through the main entrance would be confronted by the horror — and forget it if you wanted to get onto the bus itself, which idled in its own filth for 30 minutes before pulling away. And the worst part is, they couldn’t clean the filth up until the next day, because they had to wait for it all to dry up.
The only thing that could've topped it would be if they'd played an especially shit gig, so reviewers could make use of "they stunk it up on AND off the stage at Webster Music Hall last night".
David McComb, 1987.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 pm

They needed shovels. Couldn't just toss sawdust over it like a tidy pile of puke, they had to let it bake solid in the sun before they could scrape it up.

The day I stop finding pooptastrophes hilarious, just put the needle in my arm and end my misery. ;D

FiestaRed335
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FiestaRed335 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm

The movement to ban and trash any business owner who doesn't pass a political litmus test (and to shame those who do business with them) is a toxic and childish trend. We live in an era of the socially conscious consumer, which is causing companies and their public-faces to be held to higher moral and ethical standards. But I feel that the individual uses their wallet to get the market to adhere to these higher standards. There is no collective mandate for businesses or their owners to act a certain way; they only do so in the interest of their bottom line.. That may not be pretty, but it is what it is. With that being said, I will no longer do business with Fulltone.

Keeping his pedals on a pedalboard and painting over them is nothing but a virtue signal that accomplishes nothing of any moral value. If one has a moral conflict, they should sell the pedal, as I am doing. Shaming those who choose to buy and use Fulltone pedals is childish and stupid.

For the record, I am a pretty staunch liberal and have worked for multiple DNC presidential campaigns. I also am from the south and naturally have a lot of conservative family and friends. A hostile attitude to silence and "cancel" those with different viewpoints (even if they are on the wrong side of a moral issue) will never bring about a change of heart from them, and will likely entrench them in their currently held beliefs. I also will not ostracize anyone who sees things differently than me.

Phew. This is the first and last political BS I'll ever say on this forum. Back to the fluid and musical vibrato of Leo's floating tremolo system.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:28 am

you do your thing but personally, i don't have the patience or inclination to be accepting of bigots like fuller and jhs. so covering up fulltone’s branding is nothing to do with “virtue signalling” - the arsehole’s way of telling you to shut up when they know you're right - and everything to do with my feelings about the guy and this object that bears his name.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:23 am

Anyone who uses 'virtue signaling' to downplay somebody's views is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

That Premier Guitar comment section is not surprising. Go on YouTube and look up either John Cruz fired from Fender or Fulltime situation and the comments are the same.

It's a shit thing to see come from musicians. It's also sad, that it is the majority of comments, and they have tons of likes. Any comment that calls this out is attacked.

What's with people (mostly Americans) being stupid and immediately going straight to 'Marxism', 'virtue signaling' and 'SJW/Antifa' whenever there is a discussion about rights?
Immediately, it's a conspiracy by the 'libtards' and nothing can tell them otherwise.
It has gotten worse and worse, and now you see a lot of younger people around the globe parroting the same stuff.
I am seeing it a lot more on every social media platform.

God, how can full grown adults be so Incapable of using their brains????
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:44 am

There's no reason to assume that covering up a manufacturer's name is done for anything other than personal reasons.

Maybe someone simply finds it cathartic to paint over the name. Maybe being reminded of bigotry every time they look at their board sucks. Maybe they don't want to give free advertising to the company.

It could be any of those things, or more, or a combination... but there's no good reason to just assume someone's motive is "virtue signaling."

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 am

"Virtue signalling" is just a term that is used to dismiss someone's thoughts and beliefs. It is meant to devalue their motives, and is a huge pillar of the American right-wing media machine. Like, people can't possibly believe in something, they're just showing off how they want to be perceived.

Yes, it's intellectually dishonest and lazy. That's the point.

Owning a pedal and covering it up is a better way to boycott a company than selling it. Why? If you cover it up and just answer "some pedal I got at a garage sale" if anyone asks you what it is, you've stopped advertising the company's products. Placing a used ad doesn't generate more cash for them directly, but it does provide free advertisement, as in "hey, this pedal is worth buying," and whoever buys it might like it and buy more from the company.

Covering it up, coupled with no longer talking about them in order to halt word-of-mouth advertisement, is actually a more powerful way to divest, and can go much farther than virtue signalling.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:42 am

I absolutely abhor the term virtue signaling. As mentioned above, it’s lazy, dishonest, and meant to devalue someone’s beliefs or feelings. Mostly it’s used as a shield to deflect any criticism coming towards far right fuckwads who are being called out on their bullshit. I liken it to “...., but...” (I’m not racist, but...). Anything coming after that term is automatically negated as far as I’m concerned.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

FiestaRed335
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FiestaRed335 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:07 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 am
"Virtue signalling" is just a term that is used to dismiss someone's thoughts and beliefs. It is meant to devalue their motives, and is a huge pillar of the American right-wing media machine. Like, people can't possibly believe in something, they're just showing off how they want to be perceived.

Yes, it's intellectually dishonest and lazy. That's the point.

Owning a pedal and covering it up is a better way to boycott a company than selling it. Why? If you cover it up and just answer "some pedal I got at a garage sale" if anyone asks you what it is, you've stopped advertising the company's products. Placing a used ad doesn't generate more cash for them directly, but it does provide free advertisement, as in "hey, this pedal is worth buying," and whoever buys it might like it and buy more from the company.

Covering it up, coupled with no longer talking about them in order to halt word-of-mouth advertisement, is actually a more powerful way to divest, and can go much farther than virtue signalling.
You tell me that I am dismissing someones thoughts and beliefs and devaluing their motives, yet you then implied that I was intellectually dishonest and lazy, very ironic.

Virtue signaling is a real thing that is widely practiced on both ends of the political spectrum with increased frequency, and I stand by what I said. The right tends to virtue signal to each other around their ideas of "patriotism", religious purity, etc. I am surprised at how many dismiss this concept as a right-wing ad hominem attack. My career works to advance progressive causes, and I cringe at the suggestion that this is a one-sided practice. Clearly, the term has become just another heuristic.

Painting over the pedal but still using it is intellectually dishonest and lazy. If one truly had a moral issue with Fulltone (as I do), they would not be comfortable using their pedals. I avoid JHS for the same reason. Covering up the brand name on the pedal shows that one is still comfortable with owning and using the pedal, but simply does not want others to see them using it. In a more histrionic sense, they may even want others to see that they are using a painted-over Fulltone pedal. What does this accomplish?

While I had a moral issue enough to get rid of my Fulltone pedal, I still needed to recuperate some the money I paid for it. I think everything that has happened to Fulltone since has been deserved for his despicable comments, and I welcome socially conscious consumerism such as this. I will adamantly try to persuade others regarding Fulltone, JHS and Sweetwater, but I will not try to use shame to pressure other consumers. That quickly goes from doing the right thing to self-serving sanctimony.