Am Pro Jaguar bridge help

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Am Pro Jaguar bridge help

Post by tune_link » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 am

Recently bought an Am Pro Jaguar and the low E string keeps popping out of its saddle. I still have the stock bridge and don’t have any other issues with it. Is this something where I could maybe just gently file down the slot and it would sit in there better? I don’t wanna fuck it up since I’m not having other issues. Also, these plastic inserts in the bridge post holes....seem like they keep the bridge fixed, if I was going to change bridges would they have to be removed permanently?

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Am Pro Jaguar bridge help

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 am

I haven't had this problem with the Am Pro bridge, actually I consider it a decent substitute for the Staytrem bridge. Chances are your bridge is too low. Shimming the neck and raising it up will help. Are you using light strings?

The non-rocking bushings are removable (they just pop out) and may or may not be compatible with different bridges, depending on the size of the posts. Won't work with a Mastery. I've heard some people say they work with a Staytrem and others who say they don't. Should be compatible with any Fender bridge though.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:11 am

I use .11 gauge on my Jags. Never had this issue before with this bridge style. Bridge height seems right for the rest of the strings which aren’t popping out. I tend to play pretty hard though. A few years back I switched to using lighter gauge picks so I wouldn’t break strings constantly. Prior to this my only experience with having strings pop out on offsets was with the trad style bridge that most of them come with. For that reason I generally upgrade. I might try raising the bridge just slightly and see if that does anything to help.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:54 pm

As a heavy player with the Mustang-style Am Pro bridge you already have the somewhat deeper slots to help keep the strings in place. Cutting a deeper slot would mess with the string radius, which you can't directly compensate for on a Mustang-style bridge. You could buy an inexpensive Mustang bridge to scavenge a higher middle saddle and file its slot lower (but I'm not sure that's a good idea). You've also already got somewhat higher gauge strings for the higher tension and thus downforce (you could try going a tad higher). How high is the bridge ? Close to its max or not ? A little more neck shim to push the bridge a tad higher for the extra downforce would be a logical next step. You could test the likely effect to some extent by just raising the action to increase the string break angle, and seeing if the string stays in place. If it does, shim to get the action back in range with similar break angle.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.