I bought a Reface CP, and Microfreak

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I bought a Reface CP, and Microfreak

Post by burntumber » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I don't really know how to play keys at all, but I was looking for something new to learn.

A couple weeks ago I got the Reface CP on a whim and I touch that thing more than any gf I ever had now :shifty:
Just marked where E was so I can relate it to guitar. Learnt the equivalent of the power chord, some little arpeggios and basic stuff.

Today I went back and picked up the Microfreak and this thing is pretty bonkers.
I wish it could take batteries and had built in speakers like the reface though.
Messing around, was getting some Wanna-be-AFX-boardsofcanada sounds.

Been listening to stuff like Music for airports, Grouper, Mogwai's soundtrack work while playing the Reface.

Fun way to blow to almost $1000.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I bought a Reface CP, and Microfreak

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:25 am

Yeah, the Reface CP's been on my radar for a while now too. Hard to justify when I have MIDI modules and VST plug-ins that could probably take me to the same sonic territories, but stand-alone keyboards have an appeal all of their own.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 am

I just sold a CP. It was great, especially the onboard effects, but I didn't want the keyboard for something with that few sounds. The Wurlitzer and Rhodes sounds are great though, as long as you're playing through real speakers. Another thing I didn't like was the response, but maybe it was my inexperience - you either play softly and can barely hear, or you're bashing keys to hear it and hearing it a little too much.

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 am
I just sold a CP. It was great, especially the onboard effects, but I didn't want the keyboard for something with that few sounds. The Wurlitzer and Rhodes sounds are great though, as long as you're playing through real speakers. Another thing I didn't like was the response, but maybe it was my inexperience - you either play softly and can barely hear, or you're bashing keys to hear it and hearing it a little too much.
For a beginner with keys I think the CP is good to learn on. For me it has enough of the types of electric piano sounds and effects a guitar player is already familiar with. If I want more sounds I can always hook it up to guitar pedals.

I do agree with you on the response, it's something to get used to.

I should have got a midi cable to daisy chain the CP and Microfreak together.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am

The CP is great, I probably would've kept it but I have a reface dx

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am
If that was me I almost certainly would've kept it, then probably gone on to buy all the others in the series. Instead of just tracking down an E-MU Vintage Keys module for a fraction of the outlay. :fp:

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:08 pm

I have to say that the synth from the Reface series looks like the most versatile one.

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:17 pm

The CS?

I think it's the white one.
Had my eye on that too before I got the Microfreak.
The store in my city had every model but that one.
I might have skipped the Microfreak if they had it.

I was thinking when I had the funds to get all four of the Refaces.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:14 pm

The CS is the analog-style synth, the DX is DX7'ish synth mini

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:01 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:08 pm
I have to say that the synth from the Reface series looks like the most versatile one.
There are two synths: the CS is analog-style and the DX is sort of a mini DX7 reissue with a few differences (can't load dx7 patches, less operators, simplified interface, onboard effects)

The CP is nowhere near as versatile as the DX, since the DX lets you control filters, envelopes, lfo's, and of course the algorithms that control the operators. The effects of the CP can shape the sounds a good bit - Clavinet with Wah and maxed overdrive sounds almost like electric guitar - but it's basically 7 sounds (6 + "hidden" acoustic piano). The only real advantage to the CP, other than if you prefer those piano sounds to fm synth, is the effects, which you can add and control without a menu. The DX can only use two effects at a time, and you have to press a button and then use the weird touch faders.

I forgot to mention that probably the main reason I chose to keep DX and sell CP was that I already have rhodes and wurli instruments on my MPC Live, each of which are multisampled from studio recordings of the real instruments - I can control everything like velocity response, envelopes, etc. The CP has the keys, knobs, and switches, but I've got the DX and a bunch of guitar pedals for that.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 pm

burntumber wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:17 pm
The CS?

I think it's the white one.
Had my eye on that too before I got the Microfreak.
The store in my city had every model but that one.
I might have skipped the Microfreak if they had it.

I was thinking when I had the funds to get all four of the Refaces.
Yeah, it was the CS I was talking about, though I do realise that the DX is a synth too, complete with tweakable parameters. Like the OP I'd have them all (if I was rich), but the DX would be last on my list and only bought to satisfy the completist urge.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 am

The Reface series is excellent, I had the CS (which sadly broke when I took it on a flight) which I adored. 8 voices of polyphony on a good quality keyboard for such a cheap price is a rare thing. I had the chance to try out the DX and CP and they were also great. They garnered a lot of unwarranted hate when they were first released for being digital and having mini keys, but it seems they get the respect they deserve nowadays.

As for versatility, it's a no brainer that the DX is the best in that particular area. FM can do a lot more than subtractive synthesis, it's just that it's a PITA to program, but from what I hear the DX is actually really easy to program. My problem is that I just don't really enjoy FM sounds all that much. They certainly have their place, but I'm not really willing to shell out money to buy a standalone hardware synth for a sound which I rarely use..

The CS is more of a classic subtractive synth, and there's not really much you can do on it, but it's also very difficult to make it sound bad. Sweet spots all around. The looper gets a lot of hate for being impossible to use, but it's excellent to create some droney backdrops to jam on.

AFAIK the CP isn't supposed to be a synth per se, it's more of a miniature battery powered piano.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:45 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am
If that was me I almost certainly would've kept it, then probably gone on to buy all the others in the series. Instead of just tracking down an E-MU Vintage Keys module for a fraction of the outlay. :fp:
I have an E-Mu Vintage Keys and while it's great for mellotrons, organs and weird, eery synth pads, the piano sounds leave a lot to be desired. They are not anywhere near as good as the CP. I actually would love a 19" module of the CP for that matter.