Boss DD-8

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boss DD-8

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:32 am

Cool that you got the DD-8 to check out. Hopefully it’s what you’re looking for, at least to replace the DD-3, maybe both.

I had a DD-3 and a DD-20 for many years, and sold them both. Don’t miss them.

I use 2 Meris Polymoons and a Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe, all in different boards. The BED does the EP-3 wonderfully, and also has other options.

One is the DMM. I’ve never had a DMM, so I can’t say how close the BED is to it, but Catalinbread makes very nice pedals that are pretty dead on, so I’d venture to say it should be really good if they included it as an alternate option in the pedal. Plus I think it still benefits from the actual EP-3 preamp in the pedal. And it’s solid as a rock. Expensive, but worth it.

Just another option to think about, in case the DD-8 doesn’t so it for you. With that you could have an EP-3 and a DMM at your feet, plus a few other delay choices like analog, modded and whatever the other options are, and just use your old DMM safely at home.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:29 am

Received the DD-8 in the mail yesterday. I got to spend a pretty good chunk of time with it. I immediately sold my DD-3 last night. It definitely handles the digital delay on the standard setting as well or better than a DD-3. I love the shimmer delay, as someone who doesn't love shimmer reverb I was very surprised by that. I can tell a difference between the standard digital delay setting and the analog, tape, and warm settings but the differences between those three settings themselves seem more subtle. I'm definitely keeping the DM2 for now as the analog setting is definitely not quite as dark as a real analog delay but it's close! I love the modulated delay on it but the warp setting seems like it doesn't do much of anything (maybe it truly needs the expression pedal but I don't have one so unless I get one some day I probably just won't use that setting). At any rate I got it for a ridiculously cheap price and was able to sell my DD-3 for nearly the amount I paid for a barely used DD-8 so all in all I feel great about it.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 pm

That’s pretty cool, good to hear nice things about it.
The only thing I really liked about my DD-3 was the freeze, but that’s probably because it was modded and only had a single repeat on every setting.

I had the warp on the DD-20, and it always got way too loud when I tried to use it, so like most of the other settings on it, I didn’t use it and ended up selling it.

Glad you found something useful, Boss has made and still is making some good stuff.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.