strymon flint.. question for people who own this

Everyone needs a stompbox.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

strymon flint.. question for people who own this

Post by panoramic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:46 am

hey, so i own a few reverbs : old blood rever, red panda context, vanamps solemate. My question here is how close does that strymon come to creating a vintage fender tre/reverb sound? the solemate is really good at making that surfy thing with a little added gain happen which is super fun but i'm looking to start using a pedalboard soon so i want to minimize the reverb section to just two pedals, i'd be keeping the rever and getting strymon flint or just keeping the vanamps is my guess
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

The P-Man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: strymon flint.. question for people who own this

Post by The P-Man » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 am

I own a Flint and like it very much but IMO the spring reverb and 65 photo trem are its weakest modes. If you're looking for something to nail the Fender blackface sound I'd look elsewhere

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:13 pm

The spring setting is pretty good, but doesn’t drip very well compared to an actual Fender tank. Better than a lot of actual spring reverbs though, surfier than my Mesa and Vox amps. I bought the Flint for the hall setting though, which is great.

The bias trem sounds a lot like my Princeton Reverb. I prefer the Photo setting myself. The trem has a better depth and range than my PR, and usually gets used over the on-board trem.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:16 am

It is spring-y but it certainly wouldn't be confused for an actual Fender spring. Better choices for that. BUT you do get that spring-y choice along with the killer 70s/80s settings (where I use mine most) and the three trem settings are fantastic.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:19 am

panoramic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:46 am
hey, so i own a few reverbs : old blood rever, red panda context, vanamps solemate. My question here is how close does that strymon come to creating a vintage fender tre/reverb sound? the solemate is really good at making that surfy thing with a little added gain happen which is super fun but i'm looking to start using a pedalboard soon so i want to minimize the reverb section to just two pedals, i'd be keeping the rever and getting strymon flint or just keeping the vanamps is my guess
You should keep the Vanamps and just send your Rever down to me so that I can run a Minim into a Rever and fall into a black hole.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:44 am

The Flint might be my favorite reverb of all time. That being said the spring is the my least favorite setting on it. It is a really good version of the spring reverb that can be found in say a twin reverb amp but it will not do the stand alone spring tank drip sound (at least not like a stand alone spring reverb unit can).

I think the tremolo sections all offer great sounding options and can nail the sound of my Bandmaster tremolo but my favorite is the Harmonic tremolo.

The 70's/80's reverb is where this pedal shines in my opinion. You can do the stretched out verb into space but dialed back these 2 settings are perfect for most reverb sounds that aren't surf.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:43 am

thanks for that response, i don't know what i am looking for but i think that pedal should be able to nail all of what i could need aside of the reverse aspect which i have another pedal for.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 am

panoramic wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:43 am
thanks for that response, i don't know what i am looking for but i think that pedal should be able to nail all of what i could need aside of the reverse aspect which i have another pedal for.
i think with the Flint you're basically getting the Blue Sky verbs minus shimmer, modulation, and some of the fine-tuning controls like pre-delay and individual high/low damping. of course you do get some pretty good modulation on the other side of the pedal ... i remember reading they also dialed back the "infinite decay" setting a bit, but you can get close enough for most purposes 8)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:05 am

dc wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 am
panoramic wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:43 am
i think with the Flint you're basically getting the Blue Sky verbs minus shimmer, modulation, and some of the fine-tuning controls like pre-delay and individual high/low damping. of course you do get some pretty good modulation on the other side of the pedal ... i remember reading they also dialed back the "infinite decay" setting a bit, but you can get close enough for most purposes 8)
I saw that Tommy Guerrero uses one and that made me start to think about the sounds he makes on some of his more recent stuff. I like that reverb/trem tone he gets, obviously this is not how i would use the pedal as I am more in the shoegaze/sy realm and use a ton of alt tunings but I like what it does for him. I use the vanamps dialed way up these days but sometimes i prefer theplate or gate mode on the red panda to all my other stuff so it's kind of a day to day with me and reverbs, hence the interest in finding ONE thing that works great