Everyone needs a stompbox.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your Favorite Reverb Pedal

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 am

Spring - Surfy Industries Surfy Bear DIY
Plate/Cathedral - Meris Mercury 7

Neunaber Immerse MKII is also pretty decent considering it has echo and chorus modes and all settings sound good and are easy to tweak without looking at a screen or manual

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 am
Spring - Surfy Industries Surfy Bear DIY
Plate/Cathedral - Meris Mercury 7

Neunaber Immerse MKII is also pretty decent considering it has echo and chorus modes and all settings sound good and are easy to tweak without looking at a screen or manual
I think that’s what I have, an Immerse MK 2 (the one before the newest one). It is very straightforward and sounds really good.

The Meris is really great, but it’s also pretty complicated, all of their pedals are.

Read a lot of good things about the surfy bear, never tried one and I don’t make pedals. I still need to finish building a tube reverb tank. One day...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am
Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 am
....I don’t make pedals.
Neither do I. I took the lazy way and ordered one that I had someone else put together. I actually wanted to buy another kit to do myself, but I didn't have the money at the time, and now they're discontinued.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am

EQD Ghost Echo is a great does-one-thing-well pedal.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 am
Neither do I. I took the lazy way and ordered one that I had someone else put together. I actually wanted to buy another kit to do myself, but I didn't have the money at the time, and now they're discontinued.
I look at it more as the “I’m incompetent at it and plan to keep it that way” way.

Laziness is a factor, but after trying to put together a large, spacious tube reverb tank and hitting a temporary wall, I know I’m not going to be able to do a small pedal.

I thought doing the reverb tank would be fun, but I’ve found that I suck at it, and that playing guitar is much more fun than spending time sucking at shit. There’s plenty of shit I suck at in the world anyway, so that’s not too big a loss in the big picture.
-David

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:49 am

Malekko Spring Chicken LE is my go-to. Has been for years. So much so, I may or may not (definitely do) have backups... :whistle: :D
Reverb is kind of an obsession of mine, so I've tried a LOT. I always come back to the Chicken. It's a fantastic sounding reverb straight-up... but the thing I'm most drawn to is the single delay/repeat that's present in the signal. With the Chicken, it's very present and the distinction between the repeat and the wash of reverb make up unique voice. Unlike a lot of the other reverbs I've tried, the Chicken will "roar-up" and create this very interactive, overloaded, almost smoke-screen like fog of oscillation, when it's being slammed in the front end by an OD or overdriven delay. The LE also lets you adjust the amount of Dwell - which gives it quite a lot of versatility.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 am

Maybe I need to scope this Keeley Realizer! I didn't know anyone had put the Slowdive "soft focus"patch on the SPX into pedal form!

The other guitarist in my band uses two Zoom CDR pedals. I borrowed one from him and I liked some of the patches I created and didn't like others. I am definitely in the category of people who get annoyed having to dive into the digital functioning to make a pedal do what I want though. Give me some knobs and no interface and I'm much happier. That said my bandmate also uses one of those Digitech Supernatural Reverb pedals and then runs all of this into a Hologram Infinite Jets - he's the more atmospheric half of our shoegaze and I mainly do the more present guitar stuff with the heavier fuzzes and drives.

Okay well I'm off to scope our this Realizer. In the mean time, who do y'all think makes the best modulated reverb? I'm intrigued by the Mr Black Supermoon but I don't know if that's even technically what it is....I just assumed the Sway knob on it was a mod adjustment.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am

I've been using an old Fender tube unit for a long time. I seldom play without it. But, it isn't really a pedal.....

So...

I would have to go with the trusty old Boss RV-2. The plate setting is a real winner! The only bad thing that I have to say about it is that it is noisy. At multiple points, I've tried to seek out a better replacement (Dr Scientist, Malekko, EHX, Death by Audio, etc) but have always returned to it. It really is a great sound. I always liked the RV-5 also, which had a bit better fidelity and a little less noise. It just was a little too clean for me, though I'd not hesitate to use one again.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:41 pm

tune_link wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 am
Maybe I need to scope this Keeley Realizer! I didn't know anyone had put the Slowdive "soft focus"patch on the SPX into pedal form!

The other guitarist in my band uses two Zoom CDR pedals. I borrowed one from him and I liked some of the patches I created and didn't like others. I am definitely in the category of people who get annoyed having to dive into the digital functioning to make a pedal do what I want though. Give me some knobs and no interface and I'm much happier. That said my bandmate also uses one of those Digitech Supernatural Reverb pedals and then runs all of this into a Hologram Infinite Jets - he's the more atmospheric half of our shoegaze and I mainly do the more present guitar stuff with the heavier fuzzes and drives.

Okay well I'm off to scope our this Realizer. In the mean time, who do y'all think makes the best modulated reverb? I'm intrigued by the Mr Black Supermoon but I don't know if that's even technically what it is....I just assumed the Sway knob on it was a mod adjustment.
It’s pretty cool, it’s just the reverb side of his Loomer pedal. I like it a lot - it’s probably not necessarily perfect at the Soft Focus or reverse reverb sound, but they sound goo and are incredibly useful, and the hall/shimmer as well.

I actually use that and the Infinite Jets on 2 pedalboards, with that going into one amp, and an Infinite Jets going into the other. They sound great together, so I think it would go really well with the other guitarist using the Jets.

The Loomer is better if you like and want a very versatile Big Muff included for ~$100 more (new). And the order is reversible with a switch. I’m not the biggest muff fan, but I kept the first Loomer I bought. I use the Realizers on my boards since I almost never use the muff side, and it’s smaller.
-David

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:12 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:23 am
I like my reverb pedals to be versatile and good at the basic reverb stuff (which for me is hall, modulated, shimmer and the occasional spring). For ambient and special reverb stuff, I have a Zoom CDR-70 on each board. Pedals like the Afterneath or the Slö are really cool, but I find them too specific to justify buying them and can get very close to these sounds by combining and tweaking effects on the CDR-70.
This is an observation, not a dig, but it’s strange to me that Shimmer has become so ubiquitous on reverb pedals over the past decade that it’s now considered a “basic” effect. Years ago it was a special reverb effect that required a few thousand dollars worth of studio rack equipment.

Then the algorithm became popular and was added to pedal effects, but was still definitely an ambient special reverb effect. Now players dismiss a pedal that doesn’t have such a basic effect algorithm as “shimmer.” (Again, not you personally, but I have seen plenty of people looking for reverbs that “must have shimmer”)

I guess it’s like plate was when I got my first Roland rackmount reverb? Room and Hall are cool, but this one has Plate!?! Plate reverb is a thousand dollar studio effect, gimme!

I still consider the Inverse Plate on my Roland as the best form of backwards reverb ever programmed.
No worries, no offense taken ;D I actually had the same thought when I wrote that sentence. But for me personally, it is a basic effect because my band has some songs in which the shimmer effect is important, so they'd sound different if I didn't have a shimmer reverb on the board. That's why I have the blueSky on the big and the Seraphim on the small board.

And as you say, it is a pretty common thing to have on most multireverbs nowadays.
Last edited by Firecat on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 am
The ones on the CDR are much different. Maybe they can be dialed in better than the standard settings and the ones I’ve tried to modify, but they just don’t sound as good. I have 2, so it’s not like I don’t like the CDR. It’s got a ton of good effects so it’s very versatile and the effects are stackable in any order. But sometimes dedicated, specialized pedals are just better at what they do.
I agree, I have two CDR's as well. They're great for a lot of things and I love them too, but the shimmer reverb on it isn't very good. If it was better, maybe I wouldn't see shimmer as a basic need on dedicated reverb pedals.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:29 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
I would have to go with the trusty old Boss RV-2.
I was wondering how deep into this thread I'd have to go till someone mentioned the RV-2. Turns out it was pretty deep. Probably deeper than it should've been.

jaypno
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jaypno » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:54 am

I have an older Wampler Faux Spring Reverb that is by far my favorite spring reverb pedal.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:17 pm

I have a (discontinued) Digitech Supernatural that I like alot. It is very much intended to be a psych/shoegaze-style reverb with lots of control over shimmer and a variety of spring, plate, and hall settings.

I very much want to try a Caroline Meteore. My experience with their other pedals, plus reviews and videos, makes me think it might be right up my garage-y ally.

~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:29 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
I would have to go with the trusty old Boss RV-2.
I was wondering how deep into this thread I'd have to go till someone mentioned the RV-2. Turns out it was pretty deep. Probably deeper than it should've been.
Haha. Yeah, it's pretty well passed over these days. Still works for me though!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane