Rick Parfitt with red Bronco c.1970

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rick Parfitt with red Bronco c.1970

Post by JVG » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:12 pm

These guys might not score highly for coolness in the offset community, however i like this jam....all 9 minutes.

Rick Parfitt is playing the underdog of the offset world: a shiny new fiesta red Bronco. There are some good shots of it from time to time.

https://youtu.be/LpOv3ff28L0

Rocknroll!

J.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rick Parfitt with red Bronco c.1970

Post by Zork » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 am

Never been a fan and only know the cheesy big hits but this is cool. They're all stoned as fuck, though...

Retro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Retro » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Never seen this video thanks.
I remember the “Guitars & Gear” video..such a friendly nice guy.

https://youtu.be/UumMmuJPGoc
When my neighbors complain about my hobby i will break down her violin, her piano, her harp and her xylophone

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm

There was a point where they were a cool band!

67/68 they were having hits with straight up psych tracks, when most of that stuff was underground. In the UK it was really them and The Pink Floyd who broke through as new acts with that sound *and* did it successfully

Pictures of Matchstick men is great, but also like, 'when my mind is not live' is a cracking track too (and was covered by Los Yorks- which is where I heard it first)

Hadn't really gone much further than that, but this is cool too, they seem like the sort of band who would benefit from a well curated comp that completely ignores their well known material

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:49 pm

I’m with you on that.

They definitely became fairly same-ish after a while, but their early years were actually very progressive. I think history has remembered them a bit unfairly.

On this track, i just love the fact that they have the balls to jam on that one chord/riff for so long. On a first watching it seems crazy, but when i went back and relaxed into the groove i really enjoyed it.

And you don’t see a lot of Broncos turning up in music clips, so i thought that was pretty iNteresting.

J..

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 pm

I love the Sound City Mk. 3 stacks!!! :w00t:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 am

Just have to take issue with the assessment of (even) their early stuff, while stating my firm conviction that comparing them to Syd's Pink Floyd is heresy to the nth degree.

Other than the self-penned Pictures of Matchstick Men, their only other 'hit' of any consequence was Ice In The Sun, a tin-pan alley go at cod-psychedelia written by old-timers Marty Wilde and Ronnie Scott. Prior to Matchstick Men, they'd had a series of misses, as The Spectres, then The Traffic Jam, all covers of songs written by Donovan, The Blues Magoos, and Traffic amongst others, suggesting they were more opportunists than key players in a burgeoning creative movement, a point reinforced by their subsequent cover of The Lemon Piper's Green Tambourine after the failure to chart of Ice In The Sun's two follow-ups.

If I wanted to be charitable, I might assume either their manager or A&R man/producer mostly chose their material for them, but it's pretty clear to me that they were very much followers/bandwagoneers rather than contenders, and I'd point those looking for Pink Floyd's kindred spirits towards The Move, in the first instance, and the likes of Tomorrow, Nirvana, and even young David Bowie as better examples of British psychedelic/sunshine pop tunesmiths.

All that said, I think the best thing ver Quo ever did was Paper Plane. Pity they followed it up with a million singles that sounded more or less exactly the same.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 am

i think the most interesting thing is the gear their using. i mean bronco, mustang bass, sound city amps. that's pretty cool. even the vox continental (?) is cool. but in my mind, status quo is one of those bands that reminds me of old men drinking in the pub trying to chat up anyone under the age of 30 to prove they're still cool
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

It’s a period piece for sure, didn’t get it then, sorta get it now but not really. Generic rock is exactly what it seems to be at first listen, if that’s what does it for you well there you have it. I do like the unprocessed diy vibe and the matching green guitarist is fun to look at. I happened to hear some live recordings of music from the late 60’s to mid 70’s on the radio while driving to jobs today and it came into focus how much music depends on the live element to reach its potential, at least for me.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:12 pm

I like some of Status Quo's hit singles, but I gotta say that jam is shit. What was it all about?
The keyboard player did nothing, there was no dynamics in the music and what ever riff there was was just a mess.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 am
Just have to take issue with the assessment of (even) their early stuff, while stating my firm conviction that comparing them to Syd's Pink Floyd is heresy to the nth degree.

Other than the self-penned Pictures of Matchstick Men, their only other 'hit' of any consequence was Ice In The Sun, a tin-pan alley go at cod-psychedelia written by old-timers Marty Wilde and Ronnie Scott. Prior to Matchstick Men, they'd had a series of misses, as The Spectres, then The Traffic Jam, all covers of songs written by Donovan, The Blues Magoos, and Traffic amongst others, suggesting they were more opportunists than key players in a burgeoning creative movement, a point reinforced by their subsequent cover of The Lemon Piper's Green Tambourine after the failure to chart of Ice In The Sun's two follow-ups.

If I wanted to be charitable, I might assume either their manager or A&R man/producer mostly chose their material for them, but it's pretty clear to me that they were very much followers/bandwagoneers rather than contenders, and I'd point those looking for Pink Floyd's kindred spirits towards The Move, in the first instance, and the likes of Tomorrow, Nirvana, and even young David Bowie as better examples of British psychedelic/sunshine pop tunesmiths.
I didn't say they were as good as Syd Floyd, and I certainly wouldn't argue that they weren't opportunistic third rate bandwagon jumpers, I just said they were the only other new act having hits with overt psych at that time. 'only two'... sure but Floyd only had two. The fact that Ice in the Sun was written by Marty Wilde is neither here nor there. It's a great track, and the self written flip, mentioned above is amazing.

Status Quo never released a single of Green Tambourine, are you thinking of Sun Dragon? It's on their album, sure, but people did covers then.

I don't go in for snobbery around psych stuff. They were all just considered pop bands at the time, even like, Tintern Abbey, July etc and If it's good it's good. Slap the sun goes down by Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich on a psych comp as an unknown band and people would lose their minds. Why restrict yourself to what is 'hip'. ;)

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:43 am

^ ^ ^

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on the worthiness, or otherwise, of early Quo's "psych" singles. Growing up crazy for psychedelic pop, at a time when the only way you could actually get to hear songs was by tracking them down at markets or record fairs (I somehow managed to stay blissfully unaware of mail order businesses), I would often buy what was actually available, including a Hallmark double-LP of barrel-scraped early Quo, while having to just imagine what The Herd's From The Underworld or The Idle race's Skeleton & The Roundabout might sound like.

I wasted quite a bit of money over the years on stuff that promised psychedelia only to deliver blues-based disappointment (take a bow, Roger The Engineer). And then there was the other stuff, like Picadilly Line's promising-looking The Huge World of Emily Small ; the journey home from The Barras was the best part of finding that LP, drunk on a Schroedinger's Cat-style world of infinite possibility which ended fairly abruptly when the needle dropped to reveal a bunch of songs that were like all those Davy Jones twee-Vaudeville numbers you hated on the Monkees LPs.

Status Quo's so-called "psych" period was always like that, to me: not psychedelic enough.

electric hamburger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric hamburger » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm

The Bronco has, in my opinion, the best-looking pickguard on any Fender guitar

joeSG100
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeSG100 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Shame they didn't stick with this faux deep purple aimless jam sound (though it probably wouldn't have made them anywhere near as much money lol)