Carmine Street Guitars Documentary article

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Carmine Street Guitars Documentary article

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 am

Nice film, I got to see it last year at a film festival. It's available on disc, but the company selling them wasn't authorised to sell them outside of USA, which was disappointing.
Good youtube clip on Rick
Watching the corners turn corners

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 am

I got to see this one on a plane ride last fall. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Rick seems like such a nice and unassuming dude. The special guests were a lot of fun, too. I guess this is because it’s always hard for me to picture rock stars inhabiting normal spaces like the rest of us. :)

mortron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mortron » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Rick was on my list of people to drop in on this summer but don't think I'll be in that area too soon... Wish all the best. Gotta keep that realtor from next door away!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17 pm

I watched it last night. A gentle little film. A succession of 'alt' players passing through the shop (Nels Cline, Lenny Kaye and some mostly lessor known ones), each with little stories. It's really a fly-on-the-wall picture of day-to-day goings-on in a declining industry - little guitar/luthiery shops in expensive Manhattan that won't be around for much longer. Some shops went up-market on the basis of famous rock star patrons (eg Rudy's) while others went into decline and have already gone. Although Rick notes that his neighbours can now more easily afford his guitars. The barnwood-style, natural-finish, old-wood, mostly tele-style guitars made using older techniques from old NYC building timbers appeal to those who want a piece of the history of NYC establishments. A piece of the Chelsea Hotel he's used for some builds would be amazing (if the wood could talk !). There's not much about the actual construction of the guitars (as simple as it is) in the film, as the film is aimed at a general audience. I was doing the rounds of guitar stores in Manhattan a few years back and was staying only a few blocks from Carmine Street, but it was the one store I missed. So the film made up for that for me.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.