Vox Pathfinder 15 vs 15R, or what else?

Make it loud here.
adrian
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Vox Pathfinder 15 vs 15R, or what else?

Post by adrian » Wed May 20, 2020 8:04 am

Hello everyone,
I am looking for my first "real" amp, I play only at home and I don't plan in forming a band.
After a long search I fell in love with the Vox Pathfinder 15R, as I need something cheap but reliable at the same time . Unfortunately there was only one for sale in my country afaik, and the seller just told me that he has just sold it a few hours ago :fp:
There is still a Pathfinder 15 on sale but it doesn't have the reverb, I have never seen it quoted here, do you think it would be worth it anyway given that is listed at 130 euros?
I was also looking at the Vox VT40X since I am curious about the modelling part and I just love Vox amps, but I am open to suggestions. Budget is ~200/250 euros.
I play a Fender Modern Player Jazzmaster, and I'm into Sonic Youth, shoegaze, Pavement, Smashing Pumpkins etc.

Thank you in advance!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox Pathfinder 15 vs 15R, or what else?

Post by aliendawg » Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 am

PF15r owner here. I can't recommend it enough. Great little amp and I've gigged in small venues with it. I play the same stuff as you.

The reverb is ok... It's not that wet when on max settings, so if you have reverb pedals you should be fine with the PF15

Now my band mate has one of those valvetronix and it's great as well. I'm not a big fan of built-in effects, but if you're using it just to play at home I'd go with the valvetronix as you'd get a wider array of sounds.
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

adrian
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by adrian » Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am

aliendawg wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 am
PF15r owner here. I can't recommend it enough. Great little amp and I've gigged in small venues with it. I play the same stuff as you.

The reverb is ok... It's not that wet when on max settings, so if you have reverb pedals you should be fine with the PF15

Now my band mate has one of those valvetronix and it's great as well. I'm not a big fan of built-in effects, but if you're using it just to play at home I'd go with the valvetronix as you'd get a wider array of sounds.
I was actually going to PM you after reading your thread! ;D
Thank you for replying, I will hit up the guy selling the PF15 hoping it's still available :fro:

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 am

I’m not familiar with the PFs, but does it have a reverb tank that can be swapped out with a better make and model (MOD or Accutronics)? Often they go cheap with the tanks and that can make a hell of a difference. I changed out with a better model of a MOD tank on my AC15 and sounds worlds better than the stock Accutronic it came with.

If not, a good reverb pedal (or 2) is always your friend.

Good luck!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm

I have both and prefer the 15R
like already said, the reverb isnt amazing but its ok and better to have than not have