Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 am

Wow, the fabled original Blues Breaker, in fantastic shape. Nice.

I haven’t really heard of some of the others before, but there are so many out there. What’s the Dover Drive, is that an Eric Johnson type pedal?

Yeah, the CDR is a hell of a value with all that it has & can do. Not everything is great, but some things are really good.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

stilwel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilwel » Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am

somanytoys wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 am
Wow, the fabled original Blues Breaker, in fantastic shape. Nice.

I haven’t really heard of some of the others before, but there are so many out there. What’s the Dover Drive, is that an Eric Johnson type pedal?

Yeah, the CDR is a hell of a value with all that it has & can do. Not everything is great, but some things are really good.
Yeah, the BB was a very recent purchase and I was amazed at how clean i was when it arrived. It's as good as advertised and I got it for a great price, otherwise I probably would have just built a BYOC mini-version.

Circuit-wise, the Dover Drive is a Fuzz Face into something kinda like a Zen Drive (no tube). Aesthetically, it looks similar to a BK Butler Tube Driver and then there's the name. So, yes it's meant to get into EJ "Righteous" territory, which is does very well with a Strat. It's good at other things too though. Because it's a fuzz into a drive circuit, it works really well right into a clean Fender style amp.

The 68 Pedals King of Clone is a faithful clone of an Analogman King of Tone. I believe these have been renamed as the All Seeing Eye. I suspect they got a C&D letter at some point and had to rename it.

I think the Zoom CDR does many things really well in an affordable, low-current draw package. The CDR stands for chorus, delay & reverb, but there's way more to it than that. It's really impressive that you can stack multiple effects in a signal path until the DSP gives up. I could do a gig with this and a couple drive pedals, no problem.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 07, 2020 11:54 am

stilwel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am
Yeah, the BB was a very recent purchase and I was amazed at how clean i was when it arrived. It's as good as advertised and I got it for a great price, otherwise I probably would have just built a BYOC mini-version.

Circuit-wise, the Dover Drive is a Fuzz Face into something kinda like a Zen Drive (no tube). Aesthetically, it looks similar to a BK Butler Tube Driver and then there's the name. So, yes it's meant to get into EJ "Righteous" territory, which is does very well with a Strat. It's good at other things too though. Because it's a fuzz into a drive circuit, it works really well right into a clean Fender style amp.

The 68 Pedals King of Clone is a faithful clone of an Analogman King of Tone. I believe these have been renamed as the All Seeing Eye. I suspect they got a C&D letter at some point and had to rename it.

I think the Zoom CDR does many things really well in an affordable, low-current draw package. The CDR stands for chorus, delay & reverb, but there's way more to it than that. It's really impressive that you can stack multiple effects in a signal path until the DSP gives up. I could do a gig with this and a couple drive pedals, no problem.
Wow, that is cool that you got one in such good shape. I have a couple of what might be considered clones or variants, I like them.

The Dover Drive seems a bit like the Mad Professor Amber that I sold recently, it’s similar, fuzz into distortion. The guy that bought was looking specifically for that tone, he played it for a while and got some good tones, especially at lower guitar volumes, with my guitar (not a strat) and one of my amps - he bought it. I still have a similar one of theirs that also has a delay (slapback), their Golden Cello.

Would love to try a KoT or this one, always read great things about them, and that AM’s waiting list is long.

There are a lot of good sounds in the CDR. It’s just that some of the effects that it models, I don’t really care for. It comes with a lot of options, but with the download upgrade, it’s got practically everything but distortion, incredibly versatile and you can chain effects together. It’s a great pedal, for a great price. I use it with a dirt pedal or 2 for simple chains, because it can do so damn much.

I’m a fan, I actually have 2...
-David

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

My drawer of pedals. I sold off most my pedals (twice over) and need to get a pedal board and power supply again.

On my want list:
Strymon Timeline
EHX Triangle Muff
Marshall Shredmaster
EHX Pog 2
Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 am

Looks like you kept some cool ones, though! What’s that black one in the top left corner? It looks familiar, but I can’t place it. It looks a little similar to my Little Dipper pedal, although the pattern of the lights are different.

Good luck rebuilding a new pedalboard, it sounds like it will turn out nicely, once you get everything.
-David

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat May 09, 2020 9:12 am

I think the only thing left from my original board is the Korg Pitchblack tuner.

It's a Pedal Mechanic Fuzz Rival. Basically a stereo fuzz pedal with a tone bender and green Russian muff. I generally run the tone bender back into the Muff. I bought it from the Wilco store on Reverb a few years ago, it was Jeff Tweedy's.

dr.echohead
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dr.echohead » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm

A few new, mostly old pedals.
Accumulative 4 small pedalboards of noise making stuff.
There's a few more pedals (a few BOSS and utility pedals) left in a box somewhere.
"Degradation IS my sound.."

mesenmampos.bandcamp.com

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:53 pm

dr.echohead wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm
Damn!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:46 am

I don't know if anyone knows this, or uses it, but when I first starting getting into my Eurorack research, I stumbled upon Modular Grid, where you can digitally plan out your modular synths and all sorts of things. A year or two later, they added a pedals section, where you can do the same with pedals.

It's not perfectly accurate, with some of the pedals occasionally being scaled a little off, and it doesn't account for patch cables (though there might be an option for that as well). It's got new as well as discontinued pedals on there. Here's my current board (minus the Pitch Fork Plus, which I haven't grabbed yet) laid out on the site for an example:

It's pretty fun to mess with if you're bored at work, or just want to see what the color scheme or layout of a board might look sort of like. Thought some of you guys might enjoy messing with it.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 pm

MAYBE my search is done. I have my "all-around" board....

I wish there was a better solution than the gigantic Ditto X4 Looper but I like the two separate loops and the midi-sync.

And my "ambient" board.

Plus a Carl Martin Quattro as my quick "on the go" setup.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 pm

I've never messed with any Carl Martin stuff in person, and that board being mostly Carl Martin is epic!! This isn't judgment, but purely curiosity, but what do you like about their stuff?

JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 am

I like a few things. First is the simple layout. I don't have to do much work. The pedal does all the work on the inside. I also like their bulkiness even if that sounds weird. It is also a little bit of a cliche but these pedals don't change the sound of my actual guitar or amp. They just add the effect they're supposed to add. Another thing I really like is that these pedals have a lot of headroom. These big black pedals can be expensive but because they are pretty abundant locally here in the south of Sweden I can often find them used at really cheap prices. I also like the fact that most of them are produced locally. At least relatively locally. Denmark. My Carl Martin Quattro needed some switches replaced and I simply sent it to them and I got it back in about a week and they had done the repair at absolutely no cost. Oh yeah and one more thing. They are really quiet. Even the fuzz pedal has very little hiss. The other pedals have absolutely no background hiss at all.

And I even like the color.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 am

That's cool to know. I should look into their stuff and see what they have. I'm pretty well set for a few things, but that Trem 'O' Vibe looks interesting. I need something wibbly wobbly for my bass board :D

JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 am

The tremovibe is expensive and a little difficult to find. The vibrato side is kind of like a weak chorus and in fact I can nearly match the exact sounds using my Carl Martin chorus pedal. The tremolo is excellent but you can probably get a tremolo pedal much cheaper that is just as good. I kind of got that that pedal because I had all the other ones. One thing about these pedals you should know is that the older ones are all running on Mains power. That is AC current. The newer versions you can use with a typical power supply. Otherwise it's a little inconvenient. But that's how they got all that Headroom back in those days. Now there is some internal Transformer or something that pumps it up to 12 volts I think.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 am

Interesting. I definitely don't feel like messing with mains, as I've got a good power supply for 9-18V stuff. I've been thinking of finding a tremolo phaser combo for bass. I don't use chorus much, so I'll probably skip that one. Thanks for the heads-up.