Greetings from Australia

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Daveybob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Greetings from Australia

Post by Daveybob » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of offset guitars, having just purchased my first Jazzmaster - a 2016 Fender Classic 60s Made In Japan in Old Candy Apple Red (with matching headstock).

I have been interested in Jazzmasters for a while, and this forum has been great to help me research what is right for me. I was investigating the second hand market, a few older Made In Japan models were available in Australia. I have always played Japanese electric guitars and love the quality and feel.

I got the idea that it might be time to buy my first brand new guitar, so I went to the local music shop (Byron Music). They had three Jazzmasters in stock - a made in Mexico Vintera 60s in sunburst, a USA made 60th Anniversary triple in Daphne blue, and the Japanese Classic 60s In candy apple red. I ruled out the Mexican one right away, not to knock Mexican made guitars, but this particular one didn't feel well put together.

It was between the USA & Japanese guitars. They both felt nice to play, but I really wanted the traditional configuration and I was completely seduced by the sexy appearance of the Japanese guitar. I got a luthier I know to check it over and got the thumbs up. I got a great deal on the guitar that included a setup from said luthier. I was prepared that I may have to replace the pickups and bridge, but was pleasantly surprised that everything stock on this guitar is just gorgeous and I don't want to change a thing.

Playing in this guitar is such a pleasure, I can't put it down. Here's the first video I have made using the guitar, a nod to the great Luther Perkins.

https://youtu.be/WGrQQSnOJ_g

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Greetings from Australia

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Welcome! Byron is a beautiful spot.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Daveybob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Daveybob » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 am

Thanks Andy.

I actually live in Lismore but the music store there had no Jazzmasters in stock. It was nice that I ended up finding the guitar I wanted at the Byron store because it is in the same building that once was Fracas Studios where I have made a few recordings over the years.

Seemed meant to be somehow.

dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirty_frank13 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Nice video and nice guitar !!

Daveybob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Daveybob » Fri May 01, 2020 6:03 pm

dirty_frank13 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Nice video and nice guitar !!
Many thanks Frank!

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Welcome and greetings from sunny Lennox Head.

Daveybob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Daveybob » Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 pm

maximee wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm
Welcome and greetings from sunny Lennox Head.
Hey thanks! Lennox is indeed a beautiful spot. I went snorkeling in the Bream Hole the other day, amazing.

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Yeah, it’s lovely with that clear cold water that came with this weather.