X - Alphabetland

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
luau
Admin
Admin

X - Alphabetland

Post by luau » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:44 am

I didn't see this one coming. Not bad for old people and it's nice to hear them.

https://xtheband.bandcamp.com/album/alphabetland

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: X - Alphabetland

Post by Telliot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 am

WOW! That’s straight up vintage X! 8)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am

Not a bad song, but fuck Exene and her Trump loving ass.

"She shared some videos on YouTube that claimed that the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School was a hoax and that another mass shooting, in California, was engineered to give the government more control over citizens.

Cervenka apologized for sharing the videos and took them down. But, when pressed, it’s evident that X’s legendary singer still maintains a lingering connection with the conspiracy theorists who regard Trump as their Saint George, come to slay the twin-headed dragon of liberalism and media.

“There are people who are in power and there are people who are not in power,” says Cervenka. “[Government] play their games and we’re supposed to play along with everything they do. And act like we’re participants when we’re not.”

To Cervenka, “globalists” in governments do away with our humanity, creating a populace that’s “barely surviving, uneducated, scores of people who destroy each other, without even knowing why.”

Asked what she and her bandmates – bassist John Doe, guitarist Billy Zoom and drummer D.J. Bonebrake – are hearing from fans about Trump, Cervenka hesitates, grumbles a bit, then plunges forward. “The media are engaged in total fabrications and lies, and are self-serving,” she says, sounding without doubt. “They have candidates they want to win. They aren’t the real media, and haven’t been the media for quite a long time. But fortunately, we have the Internet.”

At this point, one can almost see Infowars’ Alex Jones nodding approvingly – about the views of a leftie punk rocker! But the X front-woman, perhaps sensing she has gone too far and sounds a bit too right-wing whacko, pulls back a bit.

“I just don’t get involved in politics,” she says. “What I see now is that race relations are worse than they’ve been since the ’60s. Crime is out of control in the Democratically-controlled inner cities. All people in power have an agenda. They’re pretending to favour immigrants or whatever. But what they really favour is votes.”

Honestly, I really don't care about her supporting Trump. But anyone who supports the horrible and hurtful idea that the Sandy Hook massacre of children was a hoax is a terrible human being.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am

Yikes. I did not know that. She and Billy Corgan should get together and make duets for incels and Infowars devotees.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 am

It's a shame, I'm a big fan of X, and have seen them a few times, and I even have met Exene and have a copy of Los Angeles that she signed at some point.

But fuck all of that. Now I think she's just another person that the internet has left mentally ill.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:12 am

Didn't know that either. It really sucks.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:20 am

It's like some kind of new, awful church with millions of Americans in congregation, slack jawed before their liquid crystal display priests.

"Crime is out of control in the Democratically controlled inner cities," it says.

"Crime is out of control in the Democratically controlled inner cities," the acolytes intone as one in mindless monotone.

And each one of these people will feel like they are a "free thinker" who stumbled across some sort of hidden truth that others try to obscure, but the acolytes are assured by the LCDs each day that they are in possession of the "real truth."

"Globalists control the media."

"Globalists are in control of the media."
Last edited by Larry Mal on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:21 am

Yeesh. I knew she was on the nutty side but didn't realize it was that bad.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:38 am

obligatory affirmation: the Sandy Hook "truthers" are vile pieces of shit. that said, i didn't get enough out of her comments in that article to infer any kind of coherent worldview, more looney-tunes than anything. i guess if it doesn't inform the music, people are going to draw their own lines. most people still dig "Los Angeles" despite the "problematic" lyrics, and those are cut right into the groove - ???

flame away - :whistle:
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 am

You mean the lyrics about "niggers and Jews" in the song Los Angeles? I never took those to refer to her own views or anything.

And while I don't think she is really intending to be hateful, it's clear that the poison of our times has infected her and it doesn't get healed. You don't recover from it.

"Globalists" is just a way of referring to Jews, although I guess some people using it might not know that, ranting about "globalists" sure is the gateway to out and out anti-Semitism down the road. A gateway drug to the real hate, anyway. If someone believes that there are "globalists" trying to subject free and independent nations into slavery, that's the slur that's been repeated against Jews for literally centuries. The concept was that as Jews didn't have their own homeland, that they formed international cabals to control those races that did.

When people now rail against "globalists" it's just a way of obscuring tired old anti-Semitism for a little while.

Fucking disgusting, and it's pretty much enough right there for me to write anyone off. Sad. But not my problem.

There's a lot of great music out there from people that aren't hateful, mentally ill right wing morons.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am

Exene is fucking nuts and Billy is a hardcore rightwinger too, though I’m not sure if he’s as whacked out as she is.

The lyrics in “Los Angeles” are from the POV of a character, not an expression of their personal opinions.

The new record is a very fun listen. I’m still debating whether I want to actually buy it for both practical (what are the chances that, 6 months from now, I’m going to grab this one to listen to over the first two records? Very low) and philosophical (do I want to actively support Exene and her dangerous crackpot nonsense?) reasons.
Thread killer

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 am

I'd like to make it clear that I don't dislike people just because they are conservatives or anything. Nothing I've heard about Billy Zoom makes me dislike him. He seems like a great guy, actually, and I'm glad he's healthy enough again to be doing music (last time I saw X play a couple years ago someone else played guitar).

Supporting Trump of course is gross, but the thing that will make me break with Exene is the crisis actors conspiracy bullshit. I unfriended people in my own life to their faces over that stuff- life just isn't long enough to tolerate that kind of hate and ignorance.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:31 am

I know I’m looking at myself in the mirror when it comes to assessing aging bands long past their golden high point. Some people can enjoy bands and artists that have never stopped performing and recording— but for me it takes a really special band or solo act to pull that off and in my own personal tastes I don’t have any bands like that.

Exene and her notjob observations suck, but I have a sneaking suspicion that she’s always been off her rocker. She’s pretty toothless as far as I’m concerned. Admittedly, I still enjoy the old stuff.

This new album? Eh. I’m not hearing anything that’s really floating my boat. The global conspiracy of time making formerly relevant bands lose my interest is still all-powerful.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 am
I'd like to make it clear that I don't dislike people just because they are conservatives or anything. Nothing I've heard about Billy Zoom makes me dislike him. He seems like a great guy, actually, and I'm glad he's healthy enough again to be doing music (last time I saw X play a couple years ago someone else played guitar).

Supporting Trump of course is gross, but the thing that will make me break with Exene is the crisis actors conspiracy bullshit. I unfriended people in my own life to their faces over that stuff- life just isn't long enough to tolerate that kind of hate and ignorance.
I don’t dislike Billy. I’m a huge fan of his playing. Being right wing is icky (to me), but fine as long as that doesn’t mean that someone is a racist, fascist, or general nut job (like Exene). In the last few years, two very good friends, whom I’ve known for decades, became Trump supporters. One is otherwise still a sane and decent human being. I just don’t talk politics with him. The other went out of her damn tree with conspiracy theories, homophobia, and racism. I did my best to just avoid politics to try to preserve our friendship, but she just couldn’t do it. She had to constantly try to convince me to agree with her. We no longer speak. I think she was actually the one who unfriended me on social media first. Oh well...
Thread killer