NOAD: New Old Amp Day!

Make it loud here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

NOAD: New Old Amp Day!

Post by Maggieo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:36 pm

So, since I’m all in my house and shit, I decided to see what was in the box in the very back of my Harry Potter room. Turns out it was this little Marshall Reverb 12 combo! I thought I’d lost it back in the 90s, after moving to San Francisco. You know what? It sounds AMAZING. Which means it sounds like a Marshall tube monster. Yay!

It's solid state, but Marshall somehow nailed it. Kind of like the Peavey Bandits of the same era. Marshall made some small solid state combos back in the 80s and early 90s; one was the Lead 12 and the other was the Reverb 12 the only difference being reverb. You should see the tiny springs in the PCB. I found a gut shot on the Google:

It’s a welcome addition to tiny amp town, but it sounds like the stuff. I bought mine after reading an interview with Billy Gibbons saying he recorded parts of “Eliminator” with one. I can't believe I squirreled it away and forgot about it for so long. I think I've even bitched about letting it go! :D

Reunited, and it feels so good:

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NOAD: New Old Amp Day!

Post by HNB » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:58 pm

I had a Reverb 60. Great sounding amps. :D I have several solid states I love. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:36 pm
So, since I’m all in my house and shit, I decided to see what was in the box in the very back of my Harry Potter room.
Not to sidestep the cute little Marshall, but I would very much like to know what "your Harry Potter room" is.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:33 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm
Maggieo wrote:
So, since I’m all in my house and shit, I decided to see what was in the box in the very back of my Harry Potter room.
Not to sidestep the cute little Marshall, but I would very much like to know what "your Harry Potter room" is.
It's the storeroom under my stairs!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:08 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:33 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm
Maggieo wrote:
It's the storeroom under my stairs!
Ohhhh, hah! That's cute. And much more on-brand than the images that filled my mind.

It didn't seem like you to have one of these...but you never know, I guess.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:15 pm

MY EYES!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 pm

^ Now that's more the response I'd have expected.

Back to the amp. I didn't remember these Reverb models but I certainly remember the Lead 12. Very underrated amps. And the best kind of New Amp Day is a fee one!

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:19 pm

I’m a fan of student amps though mine run a bit older. I had to buy my son SS amps because of his tendency to leave the tube amps on for days! Nice guitar back there, looks somehow familiar? ;D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:37 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 pm
^ Now that's more the response I'd have expected.

Back to the amp. I didn't remember these Reverb models but I certainly remember the Lead 12. Very underrated amps. And the best kind of New Amp Day is a fee one!
IIRC, Knut-Koupee (sic?) in Minneapolis had both the Lead 12 and the Reverb 12, and, thinking that reverb was absolutely required, I got the amp you see now. And there is nothing better than free NAD!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Scout wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:19 pm
I’m a fan of student amps though mine run a bit older. I had to buy my son SS amps because of his tendency to leave the tube amps on for days! Nice guitar back there, looks somehow familiar? ;D
Did I buy that LP from you? It loves tiny amps.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm

No, I just found this place. It does however look like the crusty one I posted here that you gave a definite like to.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Scout wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm
No, I just found this place. It does however look like the crusty one I posted here that you gave a definite like to.
Indeed!!! I do like your crusty LP! You should name it, "Krusty!"

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am

That is really awesome. I love finding new uses for old pedals I already have, but finding a great old amp for free is the shit!

That’s cool that those sound good. My first guitar amp was a Marshall MG10, and it wasn’t impressive in any way, really. I “loaned” it to a friend a while back, he bought a guitar in a pawn shop, but I don’t really expect or want it back.

Another friend had bought a bigger Marshall years ago, a 50w ss combo (forget which model). It was nice but didn’t sound great. It’s like whatever Marshall started doing with distortion in their later amps (after ~2000) to emulate tubes didn’t work as well as their own older stuff.

Congratulations, I’d love to stumble across something I loved but thought I’d lost or sold.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks!

I'm really pleased that it sounds as good, no, better, than I remembered it being. Crank it up, and it sounds like an honest-to-god Marshall. It probably helps that I'm a better player now and know how to get the most out of it.

It's the only Marshall amp I've ever owned. Wow.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Now that you mention that, that was the only actual Marshall that I’ve owned. I have heads that are Plexi and Plexi/JCM800 clones, so I haven’t really worried too much about getting a real Marshall.

You seem to have quite the awesome small amp collection, that’s really nice. Except for the AC15 I bought a while back, all I’ve been buying are smaller guitar amps.
Bass amps is another story...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.