MJT Silverburst Jazzmaster Finished Pg. 4

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MJT Silverburst Jazzmaster Finished Pg. 4

Post by HNB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:35 pm

I have come to the conclusion that I have too many guitars. Since I don't want to sell what I have, I need to stop making and getting more. LOL Simply no space. I figured I should go out with a bang. No more full builds or full guitar purchases. No more amps. No more pedals. I have plenty of many types and don't need to keep adding to the pile. (To keep me honest, I am even having my passwords to ebay and reverb changed so I am not tempted randomly shop. LOL)

That brings me to this build. I think it is fitting to have my last build be a Jazzmaster since I like the body shape and scale so much. Of course, it won't be a normal Jazzmaster, BUT (Tribi) it won't have humbuckers (per say) in it. It will look and sound pretty much like a normal Jazzmaster thanks to Rio. I am going to install Fralin hum-cancelling Jazzmaster pickups from him into it. Here are the specs.

Maple and Rosewood bound and block neck with Grover tuners and normal butterfly string tree.
MJT Silverburst relic'ed body. (They are working on painting it for me using some pics I sent for the wear. Should be excellent and normally LIGHT.)
Black pickguard and pickup covers.
Black witchhat knobs.
Non-branded Jazzmaster style tremolo with no lock. (I don't use locks, but no worries. This isn't the cheapest stuff you see for sale online. Nicer one I found.)
Fender Mustang bridge. No gap one. It has rubber around the legs to lock it in place.
Dunlop Strap Locks
Fralin hum-cancelling Jazzmaster pickups.
(Normal high quality electronics and fully shielded cavities using Stew Mac shielding paint.)

Should look kinda like this.

ImageSilverburst by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Last edited by HNB on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: FINAL BUILD (Silverburst Jazzmaster)

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 pm

I think I'm done too, Christopher. That looks like a great way to go out.

Have you thought about selling the ones you make, though?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Something about a V makes me think you speaketh too soon.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:32 pm

As the happy owner of an HNB Jaguar 90 (with a painted headstock and anime-inspired decal), I'm down with Larry's suggestion of building and selling, if you ever decide to do it as a side project.

I've been casually dreaming of an MJT silverburst Jazzmaster ever since you posted your Tool-inspired build. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

I figured RIO's Fralins would sell sooner rather than later, but man that was a quick turnaround! This is gonna be a great guitar.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Ever consider making guitars for other people? Seems a shame to have developed that skill set and never use it again!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:21 pm

I am glad to see them go to a good home. I should sell some of what I have. It is just tough because I like them so much. :D We will see. I really don't have room for more. The V was second to last. :) What I have left in the works unless I end up selling a ton of guitar (maybe even if I did) are:

My 10802T project. I need to paint and assemble it still.

Finishing my custom Firebird.

Finishing my beloved OLY Japanese Jazzy.

The V is coming in. I just need to put straplocks on it.

And this Silverburst. Since the body for this won't come in for a month or two, I chose it as the finale. :D

I like the idea of selling some of the ones I have made to people who would love and use them. Who knows. I have tried out so many different guitars and pickups that even if I sold them, I don't really feel like I would need to make more. I would just be making different colors of things I have made before. I have put guitars together for people, but it isn't cost effective for people really. Even if I didn't charge, there is still shipping both ways. It is also kinda stressful working on someone elses thing. If I make a mistake or blemish, I feel bad like I messed up their thing. When I build for fun and I do that, it doesn't stress me out too much anymore. I guess I would be happier making stuff and then seeing if anyone would like it than the other way around. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:24 pm

I worked on the guard today. It wouldn't look right for a clean brand new guard to go on a relic'ed mjt body so I did some sanding with different grits and polishing compound. Not perfect, but will clash much less. I also applied heavy duty foil on the back as a shield. Should be unnecessary because the pickups are hum-cancelling, but had it sitting there anyways. :) It is conductive. (Tested it with a multi-meter.)

ImageIMG_20200412_171157 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200412_164601__01 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200412_165647 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200412_171113 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Simple decal for this one. :)

ImageJazzLogo2 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:12 pm

I am both sad and relieved to hear this news.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Happy I get to be apart of this!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 am

For sure!! I am excited about making this one. I don't know how it will be to be finished. I have been making stuff for like ten years or so? I have kinda always been working on one thing or another.

Once covid stuff is under control and stuff is open again, I will go through my guitars and amps and pull out the stuff I would sell. I figure I will put it up for a month or two and if nobody grabs, I will pawn them or see if Guitar Center wants them for store credit or something? I know those would give little cash value, but some is more than none sitting in my guitar room. :)

There isn't any reason for me to need a strat in every color I like or seven telecasters with humbuckers when I could be happy with one or two.

The funny thing is I was mentioning to my mother that I was going to stop making more guitars because I have too many. (Like over 100 currently... literally more than 100...) She was against it because it gives me a creative way to express myself and an enjoyable hobby. She just wants me to be happy, but I shouldn't need to make or buy a guitar a month for that. LOL

It would be cool to see some of these projects go to new homes once I am able to do so.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:44 am

You just need to get a small place! Living in a 400 sqft apartment takes care of a guitar overpopulation quicker than it takes to say 'tube amp'. :whistle:

That's the reason I get rid of as many of them as I can. No storage space. It's actually a nice feeling to know that those guitars are being played somewhere instead of gathering dust and cat hair.

It sounds like a good plan anyway - the icy color scheme is nice and unusual. Will be watching, as always.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:58 am

I agree. Back in college I had three guitars and one amp. That was all I could fit... LOL :D The good and bad with having a bigger house than back in the day. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Nash J
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nash J » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am

Holy crap we must be psychically linked. Here’s a mockup for an MJT build I’ve been planning.

Wanna do aged silverburst and ‘trons, but lots of similarities for sure. So we can never be on the same bill.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:34 pm

I will miss your project threads. You have built some really amazing guitars. I especially like your decals - classy and original.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"