Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:47 pm

https://youtu.be/IDyR2Yq0cIg

Some of my favorite recorded electric guitar sounds ever.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:47 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:30 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:38 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:36 am

I'm a day late and a dollar short but consider this my song for International Women's Day.

Kissing the Pink - Greenham 30,000 women, she's like a mountain!

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 am

Modern English - Dawn Chorus somehow I found myself playing After the Snow and the singles around it a lot this week. Listening to this in particular I was stuck by how underrated they are, even by me who actually bought the records new. This is in many ways almost a proto cravat period And Also The Trees song thematically and in possession of a bucolic folk sensibility that's sure to have the lark ascending in anyone. In fact a lot of this album is closer to the pastoral prog of say... Camel than it is to 'typical' post punk (even more apparent on later material like Ricochet Days) which is 100% unsheathed baroque prog

Modern English - The Prize this is the 7 inch only killer bee of that Modern English song everyone knows. Such bittersweet delicate beauty deserves better really.

five or six - chalk circle if I really had to shoot for a comparison I'd call them the English Fra Lippo Lippi. Most folk know them for the well quoted track Polar Exposure but as with many bands with noted pull tracks it's worth having a look under the carpet for yourself.

BEAK> - We Can Go there's just something perfectly realised about this teary little slice of sonic detailism.

Gilroy Mere - Swallows from the very wonderful Over the Tracks release on the ever wonderful Clay Pipe.

Clannad - Caisleáin Óir Some of this elpee is well dodgy and even worse it features Bono but...it's worth what I paid just for this because it makes me go all a shiver.

I don't care what anyone says about his being dead obvious but IMO The Theme From Harry's Game is as good as a TV theme as ever was and one of the few top five single I can ever remember buying.

CS + Kreme - Faun House exquisite fourth world dub eastercism.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 am

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 am
Clannad - Caisleáin Óir Some of this elpee is well dodgy and even worse it features Bono but...it's worth what I paid just for this because it makes me go all a shiver.

I don't care what anyone says about his being dead obvious but IMO The Theme From Harry's Game is as good as a TV theme as ever was and one of the few top five single I can ever remember buying.
Funny. We saw a poster whilst out walking yesterday showing they were going to be playing in Leipzig soon & I spent the next 10 minutes trying to explain to my wife how shit they were. In fairness I probably never gave them a chance after hearing them on the radio when I was younger.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 am

Funny. We saw a poster whilst out walking yesterday showing they were going to be playing in Leipzig soon & I spent the next 10 minutes trying to explain to my wife how shit they were. In fairness I probably never gave them a chance after hearing them on the radio when I was younger.
I honestly think The Theme From Harrys Game is close to perfection. They are super patchy and I'd struggle to recommend a full album by them (and I've only ever bought Harrys Game new) but I adore those two songs and I'd go as far as wondering how someone couldn't like The Theme from Harry Game.

The absolutely brilliant Irish group Fovea Hex would probably want my head on a pike for saying this but when I first heard them I thought 'ahhh this is what Clannad should have sounded like (if they were into Coil at their most metaphysical and had feelings for DCD*)'.

Fovea Hex - The Undone Mother best music coming out of Ireland at the minute IMO. Though I heard that stupendous dildo Bob Geldof on the radio voicing the opinion that 'a lot of people say The Boomtown Rats are the most important Irish act ever' or words to that effect, he might even have said the best :wtf: . To which I say; said no on never.

Fovea Hex - The Given Heat

D

*or a supernatural Irish Unthanks seen through a haunted mirror.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 am

OF COURSE Shadowplay was onto this duo years ago, but Tempers' latest album, Private Life, came out in 2019.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am

Just unearthed this Goldfrapp go radiophonic gem from a band I've touted on the Hauntology thread to little avail.

Tara King th. - Maze (feat. Hera T. Davis)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am
Just unearthed this Goldfrapp go radiophonic gem from a band I've touted on the Hauntology thread to little avail.

Tara King th. - Maze (feat. Hera T. Davis)

That's good thanks for the tip, as the track goes on I quite like the kinda Cherry Red DIY feel of it. We've definitely talked about them but I find them hard to keep up with because they don't release regular records, I should probably find some way of signing up for an email update. Anyway I bought the coaster so thanks.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:45 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 am
OF COURSE Shadowplay was onto this duo years ago, but Tempers' latest album, Private Life, came out in 2019.

Aye good band. She's got something about her and he's got that 'one guitar only' thing I really admire. (some sort of offbrand parts telewhatsit)

MYRKUR - Gudernes Vilje Myrkur finally takes off her Valkyrie helmet of (IMO) self sabotaging black metal and lets in the edelweiss. This has a lovely sleeve too even though it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable because on the surface it's all bit Heidi but I'm sure the semiotics of it play well in the far right sewer. I say that even as someone with a LOT of Death in June records.

Venus Volcanism - The Prudent One As far as I know it's not a paean to Gordon Brown, it is however incredibly beautiful and the sort of thing those insecure Greek gods marked for punishment. I always think about this when I play Sheila Chandra, who is tragically afflicted by Burning Mouth Syndrome which renders singing agonising.

Sisters of Mercy - On The Wire I'll be looking after some friends and neighbours kids from Monday and one had the cheek to tell me of their worry that I'll get said child into the Sisters of Mercy. I told them to fear not because we'll be having a scheduled 30 minutes of Coil every day. To paraphrase Paddington Bear 'Just One Coil elpee contains all the vitamins and minerals a child needs for a whole day! Anyway...where was I? Ah...I recently made peace with First and Last and Always period Sisters, somehow something that I hated when it came out has suddenly made some sense...to a point. This is the Killer Bee of the Walk Away single and IMO one of their best songs of this period with it's lovely synthpop feel.

Zanias - Ameliorate More Dead Can Darkwave which sounds glib but I really like her. This is digital only but she's got a vinyl 12" coming out next week which has unfortunately cost me a tenner in post.

CS + Kreme - The Whale's Tail
possibly my most played recent elpee and very likely to be pretty high up the end of years. This track has added Jonnine and I adore it's sleepy skronk.

And because sometimes you just want to dervish round the kitchen Googoosh - Talagh as close to perfection as any human can get.

D

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 am
Modern English - Dawn Chorus somehow I found myself playing After the Snow and the singles around it a lot this week. Listening to this in particular I was stuck by how underrated they are,
great track, great album. a somewhat lighter affair than their first record, but not by a whole lot. i imagine a lot of pop-radio listeners who bought it on the basis of That Single were in for a surprise with some of the turns ... they're supposed to play the whole album here in June, but i'm guessing that's off for a while :(
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers