Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by somanytoys » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Cool, I asked about the PA because I'm not that into hauling gear and a PA would allow me to avoid it altogether. Ive mostly been playing synth through a mixer into monitors, and that stuff is probably not going to move except in the unlikely event I was performing. I can't fix stuff and I'm probably too lazy to get something fixed. I'd probably drop it off and forget about it like I do occasionally with dry cleaning
Nah, I already brought it in, and was told it wasn’t something worth paying to have repaired, with what’s available in this day & age. It would only be worth it if you like tinkering with repairing shit.

I need to see how well the tower speakers work & sound, to see if those may be worth utilizing with my other pa & speakers. Otherwise I might see about listing it on Letgo or something similar, I’m sure someone around here could buy it cheap & fix it for just the price of the parts needed.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:13 am
I was watching a video where a guy (Nick Reinhart? Maybe someone else?) was playing a Boss DD-5 and was using the hold function really short, and it sounded awesome. I started looking into a few of the Boss digital delays, and think that I might like either a DD-5, DD-6, or DD-7. I started looking into the differences between each as they all have some similarities, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any opinions of one vs the other on any of those specific 3 models?
are you referring to this?

https://youtu.be/w2KpIsHNBk8?t=45
Basically yes, but funny enough the video I originally saw it on was the first suggested link! It's Denver Dalley's Reverb pedal trick video. First thing, at about 0:30 in. Sorry, I'm on my phone on the YT app, and can't link the time like on a computer.
Reverb - Denver Dalley Pedal Tricks

What originally interested me in the trick was a suspicion that Mark Engles from Dredg uses it. I know at least early on he used 2 different delay pedals (a Boss DD-something and an Ibanez DE-7). Here's a really good example of it. The song is called "Same Ol'Road" originally on their album El Cielo, but here on Live At The Fillmore. He does the trick randomly throughout the song. I first thought it was a delay, but the repetitions are so short and crisp that I didn't think that was it. Same with a delay with a feedback switch like the Caroline Kilobyte (though that specific pedal didn't exist between 2002 and 2007, and I don't remember seeing that feature anywhere else). When I found that Denver Dalley video, I was SO sure that was what Mark uses.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:54 pm

There's also a video from Reverb or Pro Guitar Shop where Andy does the same trick playing "In the end" from Blur. I always loved that sound. Couldn't find the video again, though. Also in one of the first episodes of pedals and effects Nick Reinhard shows off his pedalboard. That was before he became a host of the show.

Edit: here: https://youtu.be/ad8B87MP_FI

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:14 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:48 am
...The Pearl Octaver is on my board, I bet their flanger is great as well
I have one of those Octavers... it's a pretty decent pedal, especially when considering it's age.

I have not tried the Flanger from that series but I have owned the Distortion/Drive pedal and it was pretty average. It kinda killed my idea of getting the whole series.

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:46 am

First time doing a “big” board in about 5 years...been using a pedaltrain mini with tuner, dirt, zoom ms100bt and RC-1. Was fun digging out all my pedals, along with some new, and putting it together. Even more fun playing through it!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Looks cool. What’s the June 60 do?

Edit: Ah, I see - chorus. Looks like a fun board.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:56 am

Zork wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:54 pm
There's also a video from Reverb or Pro Guitar Shop where Andy does the same trick playing "In the end" from Blur. I always loved that sound. Couldn't find the video again, though. Also in one of the first episodes of pedals and effects Nick Reinhard shows off his pedalboard. That was before he became a host of the show.

Edit: here: https://youtu.be/ad8B87MP_FI
Yep! That's the trick! I'm just wondering if Mark from Dredg is using that trick a little slower.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am

Tele > Holy Grail > Princeton Amp

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:51 pm

I've been dying to get the big board back together as I've sold and rearranged some things from it after I last got it together. So, I finally sat down yesterday morning with ALL the pedals, connected everything, and tried it all out. There are some newer pedals I hadn't played together with everything else, which was a lot of fun.

My signal chain goes like this: The Gig Rig Three2One > tuner > EQD Grand Orbiter > Catalinbread Naga Viper > Greer Amps Lamplighter > Boss LS-2 (A: Magnetic Effects White Atom > Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot > EQD Westwood > EQD The Dunes) > Caroline Parabola > EQD Afterneath (glow in the dark edition!!) > Boss LS-2 (A: Catalinbread Echorec > Caroline Kilobyte > EQD Space Spiral) > Wampler Reflection > TC Electronic Ditto X2.

(Didn't connect the volume pedal or the Lehle splitter which will go like so: ... Carolnie Parabola > Lehle volume pedal > Lehle splitter > EQD Afterneath).

I had a few things I was trying out here, mainly using the two Boss LS-2s for my gain and delay loops. After all the issues with the extra noise exacerbated by the last switchers I'd used, I was worried that it would be something from the delay pedals and not the loop switches, but that wasn't the case. Dead fucking quiet.

The EQD Grand Orbiter is a newer version that I just got. I've been using a slim V2 forever, but I really wanted the flexi-switching on the V3, so I upgraded. Still a great pedal, but no surprises there.

The Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot was a surprise mixed in with everything though. On its own (or with a couple other pedals) it sounded good, but that is seriously the best sounding Rat-type pedal I've ever heard. It's so ridiculously variable and has so much control that's usable. The treble knob affects the gain knob directly, and it's got a separate bass control as well. There are two different EQ knobs beyond those and they both work in different ways. VERY cool pedal.

I was also trying to decide between the EQD The Warden and the Greer Lamplighter for my guitar board compressor. I bought the EQD Warden for the bass board, and I still like it, but I wanted to try it on guitar as I read that a couple guitarists I like use them on their boards. The Lamplighter absolutely blows it away. I'm also a little interested in a Dry Bell Unit 67 for the bass board, especially after watching/hearing Patrick Hunter's demo of it which sounds just heavenly on bass. But for the guitar board, the Lamplighter stays!

I also really wanted to try out using my Ditto looper for weird noise effects. Since the Gig Rig Three2One has three switchable inputs and the Ditto X2 has stereo inputs and outputs, I thought I might try it out. The first two inputs on the Three2One are gonna be my guitar and lapsteel respectively, but after realizing that the stereo outputs on the Ditto both have sound, even without the stereo input being used, I ran a cable from the stereo output of the Ditto into the third input on the Three2One. I figured that I could record something with the looper, switch the input so it's feeding that recorded sound back into my board, so I could add effects to it in real-time for soundscapes and other things like that. It was a neat idea, but all it did was give me an immediate and REALLY loud feedback. I unplugged it for now, but might want to revisit the idea later...

One thing I was very surprised at, is how much I've REALLY been loving my EQD Westwood. The first time I played a The Dunes, it was a Catalinbread Naga Viper driving a The Dunes into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the revelation was like "Holy shit! That's the distortion I've only heard in my head forever!!!" Every setting I had the Dunes at today, was easily matched, and sounded better, on the Westwood. I don't necessarily want to sell my Dunes, but I could probably take it off the board and be ok with that. The Westwood just seems to be SO versatile.

I also feel that I may still be on the hunt for my perfect fuzz. I really like the versatility of the Magnetic Effects White Atom, but there's a part of me that wants another sound. Maybe something with germanium? There are sounds I hear in my head, though admittedly, most of them are from a cranked amp, which is something I don't do often, if ever. Still, it's a damn good sounding fuzz, so I'll play with it a little bit.

I always loved my Red Panda Context (and the Context 2 will have spring reverb!!), but I do love spring reverb as well. I like having a separate spring reverb for the more ambient reverb types. When I first got the Context, I put it before my delays, until someone suggested that reverbs are generally put after delays. I liked the sound well enough when I tried it, so I left it there. But putting the EQD Afterneath before the delays, and having the Reflection after, works really well for me. I realized that the reason I loved the Context before delays originally is because of how much I love delays. Reverb before delay will give longer signals to the delay pedals (almost like feedback, depending on your delay setting), and I think I'm leaving it there. That said, the Afterneath is probably closer to a delay than a reverb anyways :D

One last thing that really surprised me too was that I had a little trouble with my Wampler Reflection. The Gig Rig power supply has a whopping 5000mA/5A maximum, which would take a while to reach, especially with pedals that have a smaller amp draw (not things like Strymon, Eventide, etc.). When I plugged it in, the Reflection clicked like the relay wanted to turn on, and then the LED blinked 3 times instead of turning on. I wrote Wampler, and they said it sounded like it wasn't getting enough power. I KNOW I didn't hit the maximum amp draw for the Gig Rig Generator, so the only other thing I can think of is a bad or loose cable in the Isolator. Kinda worries me, but my power supply has been in a box since I took the big board apart a year or so ago. Hopefully it's just loose or something like that, as the Reflection sounds REALLY good.

Going forward for my main board, I'm thinking about looking at an EHX POG2, or more likely, the about-to-be-released Pitch Fork Plus. If the Pitch Fork Plus has at least 3 preset spots (like the EHX Attack Decay), and the detune option can be used similarly to the detune on the POG2, that might be the ticket. It seems like there's a lot of overlap on sounds between the POG and the original Pitch Fork, and the Pitch Fork can do different pitches and not just octaves. Plus the Pitch Fork Plus takes up less space than the POG2.
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Singlehandedly keeping EQD afloat, huh? Haha. I do the same thing, was Jext Telez and Meris, and lately Bogner.

I like the Westwood, but still torn between that and the Lightspeed. Also just got a Bogner Wessex, which seems similar, and I already had others like those. It’s going to be tough to decide what to sell when I do.

Just a suggestion to try, if you have another amp - even a bass amp. Record what you want on the Ditto, and when you’re happy with it, save it, then you can move it out of your chain & play it back through the other amp instead. It will keep all of the sounds from colliding together and fighting each other so much. The reverse setting may be interesting on that as well, maybe even the other setting (half speed?). Cool options, anyway.

I used to do something kind of similar with my Ditto X2’s (that I sold), one for bass & one for rhythm guitar, and play live through other amps. Other times, I’d make random crazy backgrounds with my Count to 5 into another amp. That needs to come back out into the sandbox, I miss using that thing.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:04 pm
Singlehandedly keeping EQD afloat, huh? Haha. I do the same thing, was Jext Telez and Meris, and lately Bogner.
Haha, yeah. I've owned like 75% of every pedal they've ever made. EQD always seems to have something that works for me. Catalinbread and Caroline as well. I always forget that Bogner makes pedals. He's a weird dude.

somanytoys wrote:
I like the Westwood, but still torn between that and the Lightspeed. Also just got a Bogner Wessex, which seems similar, and I already had others like those. It’s going to be tough to decide what to sell when I do.
I would have no problem loving more Greer pedals. I've been very impressed with their stuff so far, and based on the compressor, I bet the Lightspeed is just killer.

somanytoys wrote:
Just a suggestion to try, if you have another amp - even a bass amp. Record what you want on the Ditto, and when you’re happy with it, save it, then you can move it out of your chain & play it back through the other amp instead. It will keep all of the sounds from colliding together and fighting each other so much. The reverse setting may be interesting on that as well, maybe even the other setting (half speed?). Cool options, anyway.

I used to do something kind of similar with my Ditto X2’s (that I sold), one for bass & one for rhythm guitar, and play live through other amps. Other times, I’d make random crazy backgrounds with my Count to 5 into another amp. That needs to come back out into the sandbox, I miss using that thing.
That's a cool idea, but taking some of it out of the signal path also means that it would be tough to do live. The whole idea with using the input switcher for that would be to make sound effects and funky stuff in real time.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 am
Haha, yeah. I've owned like 75% of every pedal they've ever made. EQD always seems to have something that works for me. Catalinbread and Caroline as well. I always forget that Bogner makes pedals. He's a weird dude.
Wow, that’s impressive! I had looked at the Avalanche Run years ago, but never get one, the Westwood is my first EQD. It kind of reminds me a lot of the Ss/Bs Mini that I just sold. It has heavier dirt and a more expansive eq than any of the other similar pedals I have.

Haven’t tried any Caroline pedals, but Catalinbread makes really good ones. I have the Karma Suture, RAH and Belle Epoch Deluxe, and they’re all fabulous. Also had a Galileo, but lost the need for it when I bought actual Vox amps and treble boosters, but it was a great pedal.

I’ve heard Bogner is weird, but that he also makes great stuff. I’m really only interested in his 3 pedals that Rupert Neve made transformers for, specifically for those.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I would have no problem loving more Greer pedals. I've been very impressed with their stuff so far, and based on the compressor, I bet the Lightspeed is just killer.
I really like the Lightspeed, it seems to have a feel to it that others like it don’t, kind of “open”. It’s similar to the VFE Merman when they’re set to sound alike, but a little different.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That's a cool idea, but taking some of it out of the signal path also means that it would be tough to do live. The whole idea with using the input switcher for that would be to make sound effects and funky stuff in real time.
I see what you mean. The only other option to do something like that seems like it would be to get another Line Selector or similar pedal, to leave the Ditto in the chain, but have its output isolated to the other amp. Then you could switch the feed on & off to the Ditto on the fly - either instead of or along with the chain to the guitar amp. It can all get complicated and expensive fast, depending on what you want to do.

But just to get an idea if it’s worth going to all that trouble and expense, you could quickly loop something cool into the Ditto and push that out to another amp, then play along with that thru your main amp. I think you’d like the separation it would give and be much more useful.
-David

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am

Still keeping it as simple as I can, but I've switched things up a little bit by adding the DD8 and the Chorus at the end (for stereo). There's lots of interesting repeats/sounds to be had with the DD7/DD8 combo, by tapping them in and out of sync with each other. Between both delays, I think it covers just about every delay setting imaginable, as well as looping. It's been working out well.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Built a smaller, less crazy board recently. Supposed to try it out this weekend, but cancelled due to coronavirus.