moment of silence for Genesis P-Orridge

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

moment of silence for Genesis P-Orridge

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: moment of silence for Genesis P-Orridge

Post by nanamour » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm

:'( :-*

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm

He/She was very sick, for a long time, and, in that way when someone lives a life of suffering, death is a blessing.

:'(
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 am

An immense figure in my life going right back to the 70's but a complicated one. I certainly felt a loss of connection when I read Cosey's book, the allegations of abuse (denied by him) sat very uncomfortably with me.

Throbbing Gristle blew my mind in late childhood, it seemed I had no reference for them and I somehow I wondered if it was even acceptable to like them and this made it thrilling and utterly lifechanging.

I've related in here before how I didn't have a record player as a child and every time I bought a punk single I was forced to play it in front of my parents. All that changed when I came home with TG's United during which old man shadowplay told me to take the record player to my room and never play it again around him.

A few years later I wrote off to join Thee Temple ov Psychic Youth in much the same way I'd joined the Cubs as a child. Genesis phoned the family house on a couple of occasions, unfortunately both times the phone was picked up by my dad who raged and this freak calling this good Catholic home and this in combination of me being sent home from school for wearing a PTV tee shirt to PE featuring a crucified Jesus with an Alsatian dogs head, led to them calling in a priest to sort me out,

Force the Hand of Chance and Dreams less Sweet were immensely important records in my early teens, seemingly beautiful and horrible simultaneously and while I bought and often loved later PTV if I'm honest it never had anything of the impact that other TG Alumni's music did, Coil being my favourite group ever and Chris and Cosey being not far behind.

I'm really not one for any sort of band reunions, they seldom produce the creative goods and I'm not one for nostalgia or laps of honour but I dutifully trotted out to see the reformed TG a few times and last time out in 2009 I took my fucking child to see them which is mindblowing enough but we had a lovely chat with all of them and Genesis was charming and funny with the wee one and she delighted Peter Christopherson when she told him Coil soundtracked her dreams and nightmares alike.

However I always kept up with what was going in in PTV land and years later I really felt for Genesis when he lost Lady Jaye, I could empathise losing the total love of your life, I had lost mine but I could relate to the grief and hope against logic that somehow their energies are now unified.

RIP. I'm going with the beautiful side and the dead obvious in remembrance Psychic TV The Orchids

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08 am

Cosey's book kinda messed it up for me a bit too TBH

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:40 am

This is a good obituary, Alexis Petridis is a long term TG fan and not just someone bluffing something up after ten minutes on the internet (as seen in near all the Andrew Weatherall weirdly syndicate looking obits).

Genesis P-Orridge: troubling catalyst who loathed rock yet changed it for ever

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:22 am

I just saw the news, RIP.