Moon Duo

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Moon Duo

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 am

I have really enjoyed the three EP's this band put out and I thought some OSG folk might be into them.

What do they sound like? Like a massive mash or Suicide, Kosmische (if The Haunted or The Bold had moved to Düsseldorf), Shadow Morton Thump, Spacemen Drones and spacerock wah.

Check em out.

Motorcycle, I Love You

Speed

Myspace,

One of the is in Wooden Shjips but Moon Duo kick that combo into the weeds.

Enjoy

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Moon Duo

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 am

Your groove I do deeply dig!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:17 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Your groove I do deeply dig!
Thank-you kind sir.

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 am

Only 3 comments & there are a couple of other similar threads but I guess I should post here...

So, I've seen them several times now but Tuesday night was particularly special. Their tour, Moon Duo present The Lightship, sees them performing inside a fine mesh tent-like structure with various digital lightshows projected on each side. It's absolutely stunning!! You can still see them, along with their enlarged silhouettes, but it doesn't take long for lines & boundaries to blur & for the whole spectacle to truly come into it's own.

For some it may just be classed as an over-elaborate light display. A gimmick. I'm in the other camp & see it as a game-changer in terms of what the audience experiences. I'm surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before (maybe it has?) and I really felt like being part of something unique.

I'll also mention that the addition of a drummer has really enriched their sound. He's a very good one too, tight, well oiled & just what the band needs after several tours with a slightly limiting drum machine. I'm not saying their earlier performances were bad, just different. They played a couple of great oldies the other night & they still sounded fantastic.

I have no idea where the tour goes after Germany but seriously, check it out if you can. It'll be well worth the price on the door.

Here's a little edit of 2 clips I filmed.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am

Old dead links, but the stuff on Bandcamp is cool.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 pm

one of my fav Sacred Bones artists
seen em live twice and every release is great

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:30 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 am
Only 3 comments & there are a couple of other similar threads but I guess I should post here...

So, I've seen them several times now but Tuesday night was particularly special. Their tour, Moon Duo present The Lightship, sees them performing inside a fine mesh tent-like structure with various digital lightshows projected on each side. It's absolutely stunning!! You can still see them, along with their enlarged silhouettes, but it doesn't take long for lines & boundaries to blur & for the whole spectacle to truly come into it's own.

For some it may just be classed as an over-elaborate light display. A gimmick. I'm in the other camp & see it as a game-changer in terms of what the audience experiences. I'm surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before (maybe it has?) and I really felt like being part of something unique.

Here's a little edit of 2 clips I filmed.
Sounds like what DJ Shadow has been doing for years. I've seen his light show/projections/displays evolve over the last 20 odd years. I'll try to find the artist's name who does the projections as DJ Shadow always gives him thanks during his set.

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:35 am

Ben Stokes is the 'visual artist' that works with DJ Shadow.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8qm7 ... -dj-shadow

https://youtu.be/XKCrdN-d4Ms
The videos on YouTube don't really give the 3D effect of what's happening. The images are projected onto the mesh/netting, which I guess is like a trampoline safety net.
I like Mood Duo (and Wooden Shjips) too incidentally.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 am

Straight6DOHC wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:35 am
Ben Stokes is the 'visual artist' that works with DJ Shadow.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8qm7 ... -dj-shadow

https://youtu.be/XKCrdN-d4Ms
The videos on YouTube don't really give the 3D effect of what's happening. The images are projected onto the mesh/netting, which I guess is like a trampoline safety net.
I like Mood Duo (and Wooden Shjips) too incidentally.
Cool!

I'd have been a lot happier if the chump who filmed that had turned his phone the correct way round though.

:whistle:
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 am

Ten years on and I still LOVE Moon Duo. Since I posted I've just blind bought everything they released and I think they must be pushing 30 releases. I love Stars Are The Light and most everything they put out but when I posted here originally I'd just bought Escape and I think I near lost my mind when Motorcycle, I Love you kickstarted my stereo and filled everyone within earshot with the deepest joy. I remember having to play it AGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAIN for second eldest daughter and such was it's power I really didn't mind. I liked Killing Time well enough but MILY was just a pummeling tyrannosaur of a track and with a mighty stamping foot it seemed to crush all the typical fist pumping rockist pish around. It was a poison dart in the heart of yer typical tedious guitar man and somehow I just knew I was hearing something that would live with me a long time and indeed Moon Duo are very much a family band in the cursed house of Shadowplay, we argue about music a lot in our house but we all agree on Moon Duo.

So much respect for Ripley and Sanae for their magpie hearts too, often diving into disco waters and coming out with glitter flecked giant marlin.

They were running that live setup when we saw them late last year, though they don't need it, they are above any sort of stage nonsense and simply a flaming Stargate that totally gets you there.

I don't mind Wooden Shjips but I am a Moon Duo fan first and foremost though so much love for the Suicide Disko of Wooden Shjips - Crossing (Andrew Weatherall Remix). I could never tire of that track.

D

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:56 am

I love their last record. A really nice change of direction.