Re: your effects setup?

Post by onebigholiday » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am

Back to basics...

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

After an odyssey through several minimalist Nano-sized setups that always left me wanting for another effect or two, I think I've settled on something I can be happy with for a while:
This is, for me, an enormous mothership of a board, but it gives me every sound I need for the music I play--garage clang, sort of Moon Duo-ripoff psych, ECM-esque space jazz, and post punk in the vein of any number of 4AD acts--while giving me just enough limitation to keep me from twiddling knobs and tapdancing across 3PDT switches all day.

Signal chain is:
Distortion+ (block logo, late 70s/very early 80s)-->SSBS Fuck-->Boss CS-2-->Boss FV-300H volume pedal-->Mutron Phasor I-->Eventide H9-->Fairfield Circuitry Modèle B-->Klemt Echolette NG51

Currently working on a dual Boss FA-1/SSBS Mini clone, which will eventually replace the Fuck as a do-it-all preamp/EQ/OD/Dist/Fuzz box, but for the moment things are sitting tight.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 pm

My wife got me the Soul Food for Christmas and I'm loving it coupled with the Rat. Looking to replace my Grail and Digidelay (can't believe I still have this fucking thing). Any recs for a solid reverb/delay/looper?
Have you gotten anything else instead yet? And are you looking for solid versions of each of those, or some kind of beastly combination of them?

I’ll make a few recs based on what I’ve gotten, after going through quite a few of them. They’re a bit on the expensive side - not sure what you’re looking to spend, but I really like these.

Meris:
The Polymoon delay is amazing and incredibly diverse, but a bit complicated - same with the Mercury 7 reverb.
They both do stereo, but require a TRS splitter cable for the input - my only real gripe about them, but I guess they did that to also put in an expression pedal jack that can control any control aspect you want, as I remember.

Catalinbread:
The Belle Epoch Deluxe is really cool, a fully functional analog copy of the EP-3, but uses digital memory instead of tape. Also has other settings (like a DMM) and a few others. Also takes an expression pedal, but it only controls either volume or delay time.
Badass, my only complaint is that it isn’t stereo.

Neunabor:
Recently got the Immerse reverb, which has quite a few different settings/models, and most of them (that I’ve tried) are very good. Does stereo.

Pigtronix:
The only looper that I have now is the Pigtronix Infinity. Dual channels for 2 different instruments together (can be recorded separately), or 2 different loops that can be transitioned, for verse/chorus type things.
It’s expensive, but most like it are in the same price range. Great for what it does.

Had the TC Ditto X2. I wasn't good enough with the footswitch timing, but they’re very solid.
I do not care for the Boss loopers, I had one die on me (the older small one), so I got the Infinity.

Hope that helps, at least to give you something to start with, even if you don’t get any of those.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm
OmarAfzaal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 pm

My wife got me the Soul Food for Christmas and I'm loving it coupled with the Rat. Looking to replace my Grail and Digidelay (can't believe I still have this fucking thing). Any recs for a solid reverb/delay/looper?
Have you gotten anything else instead yet? And are you looking for solid versions of each of those, or some kind of beastly combination of them?

I’ll make a few recs based on what I’ve gotten, after going through quite a few of them. They’re a bit on the expensive side - not sure what you’re looking to spend, but I really like these.

Meris:
The Polymoon delay is amazing and incredibly diverse, but a bit complicated - same with the Mercury 7 reverb.
They both do stereo, but require a TRS splitter cable for the input - my only real gripe about them, but I guess they did that to also put in an expression pedal jack that can control any control aspect you want, as I remember.

Catalinbread:
The Belle Epoch Deluxe is really cool, a fully functional analog copy of the EP-3, but uses digital memory instead of tape. Also has other settings (like a DMM) and a few others. Also takes an expression pedal, but it only controls either volume or delay time.
Badass, my only complaint is that it isn’t stereo.

Neunabor:
Recently got the Immerse reverb, which has quite a few different settings/models, and most of them (that I’ve tried) are very good. Does stereo.

Pigtronix:
The only looper that I have now is the Pigtronix Infinity. Dual channels for 2 different instruments together (can be recorded separately), or 2 different loops that can be transitioned, for verse/chorus type things.
It’s expensive, but most like it are in the same price range. Great for what it does.

Had the TC Ditto X2. I wasn't good enough with the footswitch timing, but they’re very solid.
I do not care for the Boss loopers, I had one die on me (the older small one), so I got the Infinity.

Hope that helps, at least to give you something to start with, even if you don’t get any of those.
I got the Belle Epoch (not deluxe) to get me through a few shows for new band I've been playing with. It sounds really great. Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm going to look into these as the Belle Epoch is more of a temp solution what I want on the board. I will say though that I REALLY REALLY REALLY love it.

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm

....They both do stereo, but require a TRS splitter cable for the input ....
Having to use splitter cables annoys me too. I quite often use a breakout box (TRS to 2x TS) under my pedalboard instead. I have also noticed that some stereo pedals* are made with a TRS output instead of the standard 2x TS. I would not be at all opposed to that becoming the norm.

*The only example I can think of off the top of my head is the TC Electronic June-60 (it has a physical switch to select between mono and stereo). As it's a relatively cheap pedal I'm sure it was done primarily to save money, but the space saving and fewer cables needed is great too. I run my June-60 into my Mercury 7 using just one TRS cable. Imagine how good an entire stereo pedalboard would be only having to use one cable between each pedal pair....

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 am

Yeah. It’s a pain in the ass to me, having them different for ons & outs.. That actually might be cool if I could run stereo through one TRS cable (each) on a few pedals, at least until the point that I need to split the signal.

I go mono for a few pedals (fuzz,wah, comp & eq) until I split, and have 2 separate chains for 2 amps. I’ve never enjoyed using the TRS/Y cables, especially 2 in succession, but it’s worth it for those Meris pedals. I may need to look into a breakout box, I’m already using a couple of small Disaster Area boxes to route things in & out.

It would be an additional pain and extra cost, but having the option of using either 2 ins & outs each TS, or 1 each with a TRS would be really cool. There are quite a few pedals I have that only have a single in (don’t think they’re stereo), but will split the signal into 2 stereo outs. The new Boss DC-2w has the same option, but also dual jacks.

I have spent so much money on cables, it’s ridiculous.
Life is hard! Haha...
-David

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 am
...The new Boss DC-2w has the same option, but also dual jacks.
I used to own a Boss DC-2. It's a beautiful effect, more a stereo field generator than a chorus. That had mono in then stereo out (ie it generated a stereo image from a mono signal). I now have the DC-2w, which as you said has stereo in and out.... which I find odd because that's basically what you want on a pedal that is accepting and preserving a stereo signal (by passing dual mono) not generating stereo. Stereo through is more useful for pedals more likely to be found at the end of the chain like delays and reverbs. I've only ever used the DC-2w the same way I used the DC-2, as a stereo image generator. I might have to mess around with it a bit and see if the stereo through option is worthwhile. I know from experience that the DC-2 only really shines when used in stereo... it still works as a very subtle chorus in mono, but the whole point of it is the stereo image it generates...

I gave up long ago trying to find affordable splitter cables that suited a pedalboard. I basically just make my own now by canibalising cheap cables.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah, I don’t really care for chorus a whole lot, but I love the Dimension effect.

I’ve been using my DC-2w towards the end of the chains, with the Polymoon and an Immerse reverb, so I’m using it in a stereo (or dual mono) sort of a way. I may need to try moving it a little further up the chain, but I would probably still use it with signals that are already split, instead of mono in/stereo out, but it would always be nice to have that as another option on it.

I also use a Fromel Seraph (remake of the Roland SDD), which is stereo ins & outs - not sure if it will mono in/stereo out either, but it does have mono capability. That and the DC-2w are both great pedals, but the Boss is about $100 less. The Fromel also does vibrato and zero-through flange.

It’s possible that you may still be able to go mono in and a split stereo out with the waza in D2 mode (like the original), but I haven’t tried it that way. I don’t find that terribly useful, personally, with the way I have my setup.

I have 2 Digiverbs that are the same way, mono in and stereo out, that I want to try to use together in different modes (reverse and gated), but in a dual parallel mix (so that the 2nd one’s input isn’t affected by the other’s output) and those parallel sounds blended in dual mono/stereo.

The more I’ve listened to the Reverse effect from my SPX 90, the more I think that it’s doing both of those effects simultaneously & blended together, and going out in stereo. I’m planning to try that out soon to see if it’s true. Interestingly, the SPX 90 is also mono in, stereo out.

I probably just need to rethink and rearrange my boards (for the millionth time), and figure something better out.
-David

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:56 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:53 pm

I probably just need to rethink and rearrange my boards (for the millionth time), and figure something better out.
Ha! This is basically my life...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 am

That’s my life, too. But I do actually enjoy it, really.

The main 2 boards have been a lot more static here lately, but I may jostle some things around again, after I think it through.

I need do it right this time, and do all my cables better. My pedalboards look like some mad professor’s crazy project from an old sci-fi movie. But they sound good...
-David

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 am

somanytoys wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 am
That’s my life, too. But I do actually enjoy it, really.

The main 2 boards have been a lot more static here lately, but I may jostle some things around again, after I think it through.

I need do it right this time, and do all my cables better. My pedalboards look like some mad professor’s crazy project from an old sci-fi movie. But they sound good...
Do you have a PA? We should make pedal sounds some time.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:08 am

Yeah, I have one of those Alessi (I think it is) PA-80s or whatever it is. It’s loud enough, and kind of small and easy to move around.

Yes, we should, that would be cool.

I also have an old (80’s) Peavey PA (500XR or something like that) with the 2 tower speakers, but it doesn’t work well. It clips out badly and probably needs a good bit of gut work. I’m not very good at that, and I’m not going to work on it or get it fixed - you could have it if you want it.
-David