amp stands - Is there a duller topic?

Make it loud here.
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: amp stands - Is there a duller topic?

Post by StevenO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Just a little anecdote that I was reminded of when Marqueemoon mentioned asking the audience...

I used to play in a band with just two guitarists, one of which was myself, and a drummer. I once asked how we sounded to a group of people that came to see us and their number one response was that there was too much bass and that the bass player was too loud in the mix.

General audiences are evidently quite dumb, usually, and they're used to piercing treble from guitars and cymbals and bloated low-end from everything being mixed badly by the sound guy.

;)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:52 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am
My bandmates asked me to bring the treble down which I did... Feedback I got from audience members was that I was quieter than the singer’s guitar.
that's what i try to avoid with my favoured amp/me positioning method. most of the time, i don't worry about the audience getting the beam (because the PA will always be louder) as much as i worry about me getting the beam, and getting a false impression of my sound as a result.

but there's many ways to skin this cat!
Except, you should always direct the beam away from the sound guy who when they get said beam, they fuck your mix up so bad it won't matter how you have the amp. The audience directly in front of your amp will think your guitar sounds like trebly shit, as most live guitar does, and everyone else in the venue will think your guitar sounds like mushy nonsense, which most live guitar also does.

:whistle:

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:58 pm

i love amp stands and amp stand talk !

i was lucky enough to see two of these on my local craigslist many years ago. i paid $20 for both

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Guitar-Amp-Stand/

bonus... they already have handles and you can also toss your cables and pedals in it when carrying it to the gig / practice

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 am

Hmmm. I didn’t see this earlier, but rather than lugging around another piece of kit, I would do one of two things.

The amp travels in a flight case. Take the top off and leave the amp sitting in the wheeled trolley bottom.

The amp sits on the floor. Wedge it up with the top from my pedalboard flight case.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 am

I have amp stands that I use:
Onstage standard tilt back stands - a standup, tilt-back one for larger amps;
Gator Frameworks that are somewhat similar to the pic in the OP.

I like the larger tiltbacks the best, I use them for the bigger amps (AC15, 12” cabs, etc.). Its got a pretty static tilt, but I think that getting big amps up and more towards face level is a big deal, and the height is adjustable, which can help to compensate for the tilt. It makes dealing with top control panels (like AC amps) a little harder to see & adjust than when they’re on the ground, but for front mounted controls (Fender, Marshall), they’re much easier to deal with. The arms that the amp sits on has rubber pads.

The smaller Gator ones are cool for smaller amps (like the AC4s), the tilt is adjustable but the height is static. Good for keeping the amp low on the ground (or wherever), but allows for it to broadcast its sound upwards to you, the audience or off the ceiling.

It’s pretty amazing the difference that these make.

I would recommend getting ones that are sturdy and easily adjustable; I can recommend both of these 2.

ETA: they are more stuff to move around, but they collapse flat, and aren’t very heavy. Worth it to me to move them for the ability.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Not so dull! I mentioned in an earlier Post how I'd like to have a Gear Case made to haul Cords, Mic's & Mic's. Stuff for Gigs that looks like a DRRI... Which doubles as a very cool Amp Stand...

I found a Company that will do it.. Here's them email to me...

"I could make a cabinet that looks like a Deluxe Reverb extension cabinet that has a “door” on the back held by a piano hinge and closes with a few magnets and with a shelf inside. Approximate price would be $285 plus shipping (need zip code for shipping quote). Just let me know if you have any thoughts or special requests.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to order. Build time is currently at 4 weeks. I can email a standard invoice and you can send a check or money order to the address below or I can send a PayPal invoice (3% charge for PayPal payments).

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Mather
Mather AMP Cabinet
2681 Production Rd. Unit 107
Virginia Beach, VA 23454

mathercab.com
https://www.facebook.com/matherampcabinet

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:16 am

The correct answer is to place your amp or cabinet on top of another amp or cabinet and make a tower of power.
a total idiot jackass

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 am

sessylU wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:16 am
The correct answer is to place your amp or cabinet on top of another amp or cabinet and make a tower of power.
If I needed more power I'd use my 100 Watt Pro Twin. I seldom need anything more powerful than my DRRI. I do need an Amp Stand (I really dislike about every Amp Stand I've seen or used) & I do need a Gear Case.. A Gear Case that looks like a DRRI & is a Amp Stand would be a perfect remedy.. Plus it would look Cool & like a Tower of Power..

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 am
sessylU wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:16 am
If I needed more power I'd use my 100 Watt Pro Twin.
turn it on its side and you've got yourself a tower, ninfriendo