Simple Amp Question

Make it loud here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Simple Amp Question

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:19 am

We have an amp designed for electronic drums that we currently aren't using. Our space is extremely limited...and we would like to put it in storage until it is used again. Is it ok to just put it in cold storage in our shed? It will be Vermont cold...sub zero at times...but well protected from moisture, etc.

I imagine the only thing that would matter is letting it warm up inside for a while before being used...

thanks.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Simple Amp Question

Post by somanytoys » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am

I’m assuming you mean only an amp, no speaker.
A speaker is an absolute no-go, it will dry-rot it fast.

I don’t think I would store an amp in a place that’s completely unregulated as far as environment. Temp and humidity changes seems like it would definitely take a toll on it, especially the longer it’s exposed. Solid state (I’m assuming it is) is less susceptible to those changes, but I still wouldn’t do it, if I could help it.

I’d try to hide it away somewhere at your house, or keep it out of the way in a corner or syntactic it in top of something at the practice room, if possible.

That’s my opinion.

Edit: didn’t notice that you said it will be protected from humidity. Might be okay, but I don’t think I’d risk it, especially for a specialized amp like that.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm

thank you. it technically wouldn't be protected from humidity...just rain/snow.

I'll take it to our house.

thanks!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:55 pm

You’re very welcome.

I was wondering if anyone would chime in and have any different opinion (that it would be okay). I just personally wouldn’t risk it, then later pulling it back out, only to realize that now it’s just a big brick.

Also, it flooded down here badly in ‘16. My house didn’t flood, but my girlfriend’s did. There was very little time beforehand, but I helped her put some stuff in the attic, then helped her clean up after it was over. It was horrible seeing and dealing with all of the aftermath, and that so many people went through it.

Anyway, point is that it left a really big impression on me, so I’m probably overly paranoid and careful about that kind of stuff - I didn’t want to be overly dramatic about it.
-David

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Hey, I meant to ask you - weren’t you going to go check out an old Vox a while back?

Seems like I remember that was you, and that it was a Berkeley. (Too lazy to look up the thread on my phone...)

Did you ever go, and if so, did you buy it?
-David

greens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by greens » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Yes, better to play it safe.