Essoldo Guitars

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Essoldo Guitars

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:34 am

Whilst doing some browsing on Reverb, I came across these guys.

https://essoldo.co.uk/

They have a couple of offset models.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Essoldo Guitars

Post by 601210 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 am

I like their designs.

I think the headstock shape they're using won't last very long.

Their website is garbage.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 am

601210 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 am
I like their designs.

I think the headstock shape they're using won't last very long.

Their website is garbage.
Yeah -- there is so very little information on the site that it is off-putting to even enquire.

I do like the simplicity of the JM-shaped guitar. The bridge is cool and... what is that pickup?
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:43 am

I like the simplified look. It looks like he's already designed - or at least sourced from somewhere - a unique, non-Fenderish headstock for the Satellite model. It would be wise to stick that on the other three just to bypass the letters/phone calls from Fender's legal department that are sure to come. But beyond that, making something quirky/unique like this, only to go with such a stock, expected and familiar design just seems "halfway". They'd all look better with that peghead seen on the Satellite, IMO. Or design something really goofy like some of those large Teisco or EKO type things, if you're playing in that 50's/60's sandbox. They're weird as can be, but over the years I've come to love those pegheads on those DiPinto Galaxie guitars!

Lots of one-pickup models. Is that for a certain look or genre? Do lots of people seek out/buy one-pickup guitars? Honest question, I don't follow all this stuff like I might've a decade or two ago, and I really don't follow modern acts enough to be aware.

As for the website, just a little bit of work would go a long way. A more complete spec-listing, including available finish/color options and all the other things people want to know about a guitar (fingerboard radius, scale length, body material, etc.). Oh, and PRICING! Including that info on the website is surely preferable to answering endless emails all asking those same questions 4-5 questions? Emailing should be for that rare question that isn't covered/present in the posted spec listing.

On a happy note, I love seeing people use those early 60's Fender amp cupcake knobs on guitars. I've done that for years, because of the genre I love/play most (early 60's surf/instro). My nod to that era/hardware, in knob form.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:52 pm

pscates wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:43 am
Lots of one-pickup models. Is that for a certain look or genre? Do lots of people seek out/buy one-pickup guitars? Honest question, I don't follow all this stuff like I might've a decade or two ago, and I really don't follow modern acts enough to be aware.
FWIW I recently just got a G&L Esquire and it's become my favourite guitar. For a while my only electric was a '72 Musicmaster. There's 2 primary reasons to go single-pickup. First is that it does away with any fancy-pants stuff- less distracting and you just get down to playing the damn thing. Secondly is that (and I truly have found this to be true) they legit sound better in their respective pickup positions. Not having another magnet in the body impacting the strings seems to open up the sound somewhat- all guitars I've played have had more clarity throughout the entire range of the strings (whereas most 2 or 3 pickup guitars I've played do have a particular register of their tone emphasised to a degree). I modded my Musicmaster to have a neck pickup ala Mustang and regretted it to the extent that I ended up selling it and am now seeking another unmolested one. I also find that, shock horror, having 1 pickup means you might actually use the tone knob now and then (I've previously always been a turn-to-10-and-forget person). So in short, it forces you to do more with less and sound better for it.