Epiphone Firebird video that you might find interesting

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Epiphone Firebird video that you might find interesting

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:36 am

My big complaint with these non-reverse Firebirds is that they've jacked up the price on the things and now they cost as much as the actual vintage ones.

Gibson had released some to Japan only that were cool, and didn't cost a lot- that's what Pat had, but he didn't like it. I thought they were pretty good.

But you could get those for a decent amount of money, now all of a sudden they cost a ton. But why? The non-reverse cost more than the reverse, but the non-reverse Birds are much cheaper to actually make, so it's all just marketing bullshit.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:45 pm

I have one of the NR birds from a few years ago, I like it but it’s got a few issues, biggest one being the garbage pickups like everyone’s said.

I may have to “upgrade” it with the Epiphone pickups rather than order some Zhangbuckers.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 am

Interesting guitar, but apparently no lefty version. Fuckers.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:07 am

I've really been wanting a Firebird of late & I believe I will have to check these out. I am always a bit leery of Gibson's quality control so Epiphone seems the way to go.
We are merely moving shadows.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am

Add a short (no cover) vibrola, and this new Firebird is close to perfect for my scuzz/space/garage style playing.

I have an early 2000s Epiphone Firebird VII (set neck, three pickups, vibrola) and love it. I think the pickups are ceramic mini-humbuckers, like in current Gibsons, but they're generally fine for me - though I never use the middle pickup.

I regret not buying an Epiphone Bonamassa Firebird I when they were more available - the current resale market has me priced out. I'd have added a short vibrola and probably kept that as my main electric forever.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:16 am

del wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am
Add a short (no cover) vibrola, and this new Firebird is close to perfect for my scuzz/space/garage style playing.

I have an early 2000s Epiphone Firebird VII (set neck, three pickups, vibrola) and love it. I think the pickups are ceramic mini-humbuckers, like in current Gibsons, but they're generally fine for me - though I never use the middle pickup.
I had one of the Epi Firebird VIIs a while back looked great and sounded good, but found it awkward to play - I think it was mostly down to the middle pickup. Anyway I sold it and rather wish I hadn't but hey-ho.

I now have one of the Epi Studio Worn Cherry ones (or whatever it is they call them!) - the one with the Steinberger gearless tuners - that I got from a local classifieds for only £80. It's great! I've swapped the bridge pickup for a DeArmond Gold Tone and it is now a very useful guitar with a superb action. TBH I wouldn't have considered it had it not been for the bargain price, but very pleased I did.