Behind the Bridge PU // Blender-knob - what option do I have?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Behind the Bridge PU // Blender-knob - what option do I have?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm

I finally did it! I gave my VM Jaguar to my Luthier yesterday - for some serious modifications!
(if this belongs in the mod/project section - please move it there - but I found the question to be going more into technical/wiring territory)

Besides putting GFS Surf90 as a "drop in" for the regular Jaguar pickups - I see that as problem-free -
I planned to have a Lipstick PU behind the bridge and gave him the permission to route for that.

What are THE MOST USEFUL OPTIONS I got?
My luthier recommended building in a BLENDER-knob - so that it is ALWAYS available in either of the many possible settings!
But he also mentioned that these are only available in the bigger (regular or CTS? I don't know) size so could be problematic to put in the rhythm circuit.
Also would have to be wired differently... or not? Basically every "Mix" knob in an effect pedal is a Blender-knob, right? and these appear rather regular to me.

- a switch (by replacing the "strangle" for instance) and and a fixed volume could work - but could also be problematic - as I especially don't know how it is really going to interact (it's also his first time to do such a mod).

- using the Rhythm circuit as a control station with volume and tone could be an idea. BUT: is it possible to wire the rhythm circuit's controls as an "add-on" to the Lead circuit and not to be in its stead? I mean in a classic player these knobs are used to blend from Humbucker to Single-coil, right?
I also have a modified upper control plate laying around with the switch modified to allow for a toggle if this would be an easier option... like down for the LEAD, up for BEHIND THE BRIDGE and Middle for BOTH?

- buying a FACTION -Kurt Cobain-plate to allow for a third knob - but would three witch hat knobs fit on that plate anyhow? Also it would be quite expensive with 50 bucks + customs and shipping to Europe (likely another 30 bucks) - alternatively installing a GIBSON-like jack (Deimel uses these too on some guitars) and using the open slot for the third knob.

What do you think about the listed options? And what other options could you think of?

Here is a picture of it to empathize more with it than you would by just reading the plain text: ;)

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Behind the Bridge PU // Blender-knob - what option do I have?

Post by NICQ » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:25 pm

I wired mine directly to the volume pot of the rhythm circuit using the switch as on/off - directly to the output jack:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8&t=113905

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm

NICQ wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:25 pm
I wired mine directly to the volume pot of the rhythm circuit using the switch as on/off - directly to the output jack:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8&t=113905
Great looking guitar over there in your thread NICQ! Due to your description I assume the tone-pot of your rhythm-circuit does nothing?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm

The blender on Cobain plate sounds like the most useful (altho it would need the narrower knobs). Maybe with a push-pull to take it out of circuit. Or just the push-pull (ie just on/off .... maybe you could fit a trimpot volume somewhere, adjusted with a screwdriver through a plate hole ?).

I've never tried a dual-gang pot ... maybe that would work on the tone control as a dual function tone/blender (and would need a new dual knob). But cavity depth might be an issue.

You could make the strangle switch into the selector for the rhythm control pickup, ie select neck or lipstick. But you would probably have to turn the dark rhythm circuit into a regular volume / tone. Similarly you could put a van Leuwen-like 3-way toggle (on-on-on, if it fits .. maybe mini toggle) in place of the rhythm/lead switch, to select lead/neck/lipstick.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm

You could use the Armstrong Blender circuit... essentially you have an SSS guitar that you could blend into HSH (treating the lipstick as the "middle" pickup). Uses a Strat 5-way switch that works normally like a Strat and an extra pot for the blending.

4-way switch, like the J Marr mod, and the blender on the lipstick.

Brent Mason's Telecaster with three pickups and a blender. I think his circuit is slightly different than the typical Nashville Blender. He's been a session guitarist for thousands of hit songs in all genres. If it's on the radio he probably played something on it, using the guitar.

Steve Morse's Tele and his signature Ernie Ball models might be worth some research for you.

Ibanez RG series guitars have some good alternative switching options.

Wil_66
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wil_66 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:17 pm

I'd use dual stack pots and knobs, early Jazz Bass style and wire the behind the bridge pickup in parallel directly to the output jack. That way you could have independent volume and tone control for the lipstick behind the bridge.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Great looking guitar over there in your thread NICQ! Due to your description I assume the tone-pot of your rhythm-circuit does nothing?
Yeah, I had it wired to the vol pot at first but I found out with the overtones coming from behind the bridge a tone pot is totally useless - even with the tele pickup raised as close as possible.. the overtones are subtle anyways so dulling them with a tone pot is not exactly helpful.. so right now it's disconnected.. I thought about some kind of small boost circuit but that idea sounded like a hassle with a battery - taking off the whole pickguard when it goes dead etc ... Would be easier on a jag though with the plate ^^

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Thank you all for your ideas! :)

The eclectic being I am - I shall choose the best possible - least expensive and least hassle - option. Which would be in my book:

Using ONLY one of the two rhythm circuit knobs (maybe the 50k slot - but change it for another mini pot with a higher value) - and wire it directly to the output jack (this leaves the other pot and the switch intact - and as I never change the tone of the rhythm circuit - I could give it a 50k resistor instead of the pot and have it all! :-) would this work?

jvin248 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm
You could use the Armstrong Blender circuit... essentially you have an SSS guitar that you could blend into HSH (treating the lipstick as the "middle" pickup). Uses a Strat 5-way switch that works normally like a Strat and an extra pot for the blending.

4-way switch, like the J Marr mod, and the blender on the lipstick.

Brent Mason's Telecaster with three pickups and a blender. I think his circuit is slightly different than the typical Nashville Blender. He's been a session guitarist for thousands of hit songs in all genres. If it's on the radio he probably played something on it, using the guitar.
Thank you Jvin. But for the Armstrong Blender circuit that you suggest, I would have to exchange both lower control plates for Faction-ones - that is just out of the budget, I fear!
Wil_66 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:17 pm
I'd use dual stack pots and knobs, early Jazz Bass style and wire the behind the bridge pickup in parallel directly to the output jack. That way you could have independent volume and tone control for the lipstick behind the bridge.
I like the idea - but sadly this would mean I would lose the possibility to use my Witchhat knobs! And I haven't seen a concentric knob that I have found decent looking.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:28 am

I'd just use the rhythm circuit as a regular circuit. You could rewire it with "normal" value pots and wire it straight to the jack like a Les Paul JR. Could even use the switch as off / on. The lower circuit would then be for the bridge + neck pickup and strangle switch like a regular Jaguar.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:21 pm

It got back from the Luthier last week and sounds great. The Lipstick got both controls (volume and tone) which is good.
While it‘s hardly noticeable clean it gets really weird when used with Fuzz. But still very useable (well, for noisy avantgarde and other experimental stuff)!
Thanks for all your replies!

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:21 pm
It got back from the Luthier last week and sounds great. The Lipstick got both controls (volume and tone) which is good.
While it‘s hardly noticeable clean it gets really weird when used with Fuzz. But still very useable (well, for noisy avantgarde and other experimental stuff)!
Thanks for all your replies!
Pics are necessary sir.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm
Pics are necessary sir.
Well, if you insist! :)

Have I ever mentioned that I love the look of a nice Tortoise Guard on white offsets?

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:46 am

Tort always wins!