MIDI 2.0

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MIDI 2.0

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: MIDI 2.0

Post by Telliot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Major news, which I've been surprised hasn't been more widely discussed. This really is a game changer, the way MIDI 1.0 was back in the early 80s. I'm curious to see if it alters the way people who like to work with CV/Gate interfaces create music. I guess the older analog synths will always function the way they were designed to, and this will mainly be utilized with newer instruments? I would also presume this will provide synth designers with MANY more options and features than we've ever had available to us before.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 am

As someone who has goofed around with MIDI guitar for the last 15 years or so, I hope MIDI 2.0 does improve this messy situation. That said, I'm in zero rush to replace my GR-20, which keeps plugging along and does pretty well with the Roland hex pickup. It's only when you try to play into other gear via MIDI where things get squirrely.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Eh. I saw the announcement a little while back, and I knew it was coming, but... higher resolution. OK, there's nothing wrong with that. In real terms, though, I don't see it as the boon for pop music that some people are trying to make it out to be. I am a guitar synth fan as well, and I think that realistically, it's not going to do anything for the gremlins that pop up as a result of latency. That's a question of pickup technology, and our options are what they are until the pickups improve, or there's a new push for the two-sets-of-strings setup of the synthaxxe and that casio job, where the guitar is a controller with no sound of its own.
Telliot wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:42 pm
Major news, which I've been surprised hasn't been more widely discussed. This really is a game changer, the way MIDI 1.0 was back in the early 80s. I'm curious to see if it alters the way people who like to work with CV/Gate interfaces create music. I guess the older analog synths will always function the way they were designed to, and this will mainly be utilized with newer instruments? I would also presume this will provide synth designers with MANY more options and features than we've ever had available to us before.
How is it a game changer? Why would this provide more options and features, other than being able to take advantage of higher resolutions? What are you seeing that I'm not? We'll get much better polyrhythmic support, I suppose. Drummers will like that. How would this allow synths to manipulate sound in ways beyond resolution in time and emphasis?

I think that for wind players, this is a paradigm shift. String players will no doubt start using hex equipped fiddles. Pianists will enjoy the fuller resolution. Essentially, the benefit is for the classical music world. And that's fine! I'm sure they appreciate what may be coming. But for the rest of us, what is this other than a way to get better articulation out of pitch bends and help GM sounds out? We play instruments that are stepped. I suppose a MIDI bassist who idolizes Jaco will have a better time of things, but I don't see this as something that's going to change the game for us, or that we're going to suddenly start seeing MIDI erhus or contrabassoons or shamisens or ouds as a result. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I'm just totally missing something huge here, I'm happy to be shown the light, but this seems like a case of "An improvement to an almost 40 year old technology, good!" rather than one of "this is going to revolutionize music forever".

"Could profoundly change the way music sounds" seems like the kind of hyperbolic headline copy that a layperson ignorant of music might write, rather than anything else. Particularly for a technology that doesn't make any sound of its own. I see this as bringing the same benefits pop music has enjoyed to other musical ouvres, rather than "changing how music sounds".
This is an excellent rectangle

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:15 am

"How is it a game changer?"
*Proceeds to answer her own question*
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 am

The lighting and robotics teams at my company are proper excited about prospective control hardware to accompany the release of the upcoming 2.0, since having more than 127 subdivisions of something is presently limited to native PC software/drivers for each respective controller we use, admittedly with detailed control that already exceeds that degree. Having visual media tools that can sync with other real-time functions in a unified controller is nothing new, but the amount of detail and speed with industry-standardized interfaces will interesting to see in the coming years.

For example, it was a big headache for us to sync the media robots we used in the following Hyundai truck launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgLvAfuaPsE The video, music, and robotics were the easy part for us to put together and line up, but the speed and final position of the turntable the truck was parked on was not lining up just right. I reckon precision / synced control could easily take care of that with what 2.0 will offer in a unified system.

I think it's easy for us musicians to forget that MIDI was almost exclusively for just musical instruments only in the first decade after its introduction ;)
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm

aliendawg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:15 am
"How is it a game changer?"
*Proceeds to answer her own question*
You understand the concept of "scope of an argument", right? This means very little to popular music, as far as I can see, and like I said, this is going to do little for non-western instruments and instrumentation themselves. This does make approximations of western instruments "adaptable" to microtonal music, but that's not much of a thing in this hemisphere.

Robots, though? Yeah, that's why I'm asking "what is it that I'm not seeing here?" I knew that stage lighting is often controlled via MIDI, but that's another case where near infinite gradiation is going to be nice but not an enormous change as far as I know. Robots, that's news to me.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Look, I don’t claim to be an expert. All’s I’m saying is I can imagine this being a catalyst to new developments in several areas, music included. It seems like a big deal to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Well, the revolution was MIDI to start with, which is probably used in the bulk of popular music and a huge percentage of any kind of music at this point.

So, this is just making an already incredibly common tool be much better than it had been before. It's probably not going to change music much any more than it already has, but technologically it's a big step forward in an area that really needed it. The 128 steps wasn't really all that much, and the timing issues of MIDI was often a problem.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 pm
Well, the revolution was MIDI to start with, which is probably used in the bulk of popular music and a huge percentage of any kind of music at this point.

So, this is just making an already incredibly common tool be much better than it had been before. It's probably not going to change music much any more than it already has, but technologically it's a big step forward in an area that really needed it. The 128 steps wasn't really all that much, and the timing issues of MIDI was often a problem.
Right, I'm with you 100%.

I just can't imagine it changing the nature of how music sounds, either in terms of arrangement or synthesis. That's pure hype, for all I can tell.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Consider my initial enthusiasm quelled.