Jaguar : American Professional or Original 60s

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar : American Professional or Original 60s

Post by TomBar3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 am

Hello,

Without (barely) no testing possibilities, which one should I (not) choose?
Reviews are generally positive yet it seems no Jaguar model gets all thumbs up out of the box, making a choice quite difficult.
Except for the Marr signature, coming at a high price..

Thanks for any feedback!

DiAmoroso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar : American Professional or Original 60s

Post by DiAmoroso » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Johnny Marr Jaguars pricing is right around/between these two models, so I’m a bit confused why you’d say the price is high? Between the models it really just depends on the features you want. 7.25” or 9.5” radius? Pickups? Switching options? You’d have to play them to truly decide which you prefer. I personally really like the AmPro, I prefer it’s pickups, 9.5” radius, and love the four way switch. But depending on your ears, hands, and needs, you may prefer one of the other models.
www.littleevilmusic.com

DiAmoroso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiAmoroso » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Since you can’t play the exact models, what I would do is play some 9.5” necks, and some 7.25” necks. Short scale preferably, but if you can at least find Strats it’ll give you an idea. Same goes for the pickups, maybe try some vintage style strats vs a more modern/hotter model. Listening to sound samples/videos online doesn’t tell you much, there are too many factors at play.
www.littleevilmusic.com

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am

DiAmoroso wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Johnny Marr Jaguars pricing is right around/between these two models, so I’m a bit confused why you’d say the price is high?
What I see in Europe is that:
the Johnny Marr keeps a steady 2000+ EUR price point (oddly enough Thomann isn't offering them anymore)
the Professional is around 1600-1700
The Original 60s sits slightly higher but can be found at around the same price.

As to the OA60s, it seems some stores are still offering the previous batch ( 0110160809) in Candy Apple Red.
The 'new' run has number 0110160804.
DiAmoroso wrote:
Between the models it really just depends on the features you want. 7.25” or 9.5” radius? Pickups? Switching options? You’d have to play them to truly decide which you prefer. I personally really like the AmPro, I prefer it’s pickups, 9.5” radius, and love the four way switch. But depending on your ears, hands, and needs, you may prefer one of the other models.
That radius is indeed very important. I recall playing a 7.25 jag which felt like too little space. I believe the 9.5 would be more enjoyable to that regards.
Both the OA60 and AmPro have the 9.5 and are around the same price point.
Do the pickups differ that much?

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 am

DiAmoroso wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 pm
Since you can’t play the exact models, what I would do is play some 9.5” necks, and some 7.25” necks. Short scale preferably, but if you can at least find Strats it’ll give you an idea. Same goes for the pickups, maybe try some vintage style strats vs a more modern/hotter model. Listening to sound samples/videos online doesn’t tell you much, there are too many factors at play.
I have a AmPro Strat of 9.5. (SSH) and it's an awesome guitar to play.
The Jag seduces me because of it's tonal variety mainly (and offset body).

Both the OA60 and AmPro have the 9.5. fretboard.

Django
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Django » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 am

TomBar3 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am
the Johnny Marr keeps a steady 2000+ EUR price point (oddly enough Thomann isn't offering them anymore)
that's because i bought the last one! product manager told me they're getting hard to obtain (limited edition)

..which is why i pulled the trigger, but i might be returning it for a jazzmaster, so it might pop back up there as b-stock soon! (PM if you want more details)

DiAmoroso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiAmoroso » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:27 pm

TomBar3 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am
DiAmoroso wrote:
Johnny Marr Jaguars pricing is right around/between these two models, so I’m a bit confused why you’d say the price is high?
What I see in Europe is that:
the Professional is around 1600-1700
The Original 60s sits slightly higher but can be found at around the same price.

As to the OA60s, it seems some stores are still offering the previous batch ( 0110160809) in Candy Apple Red.
The 'new' run has number 0110160804.
DiAmoroso wrote:
Between the models it really just depends on the features you want. 7.25” or 9.5” radius? Pickups? Switching options? You’d have to play them to truly decide which you prefer. I personally really like the AmPro, I prefer it’s pickups, 9.5” radius, and love the four way switch. But depending on your ears, hands, and needs, you may prefer one of the other models.
That radius is indeed very important. I recall playing a 7.25 jag which felt like too little space. I believe the 9.5 would be more enjoyable to that regards.
Both the OA60 and AmPro have the 9.5 and are around the same price point.
Do the pickups differ that much?
The AmPro pickups are a bit hotter than the AOs, I believe. Both sound like Jaguars, but the AmPro has a bit more muscle, more modern tone. For me the four way switch is the key selling point for the AmPro.
www.littleevilmusic.com

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:42 pm

It's really too bad you can't play either of them :( But I understand how difficult that can be depending on where you live on this crazy planet.

Full disclosure, I've only played the Am Pro Jag, not an Original 60s.

I used a '68 reissue Princeton Reverb amp. The Am Pro Jag has hot pickups, fuller and warmer sounding than vintage spec pups. I think they sound effing amazing. Not everyone agrees. No ice picky-ness whatsoever. This would make a killer rock/alternative beast. There's some very good videos on YouTube demo-ing the Am Pro Jag, one in particular is the demo vid from Alamo Music. They demo both the JM and the Jag.

I happen to love the phase switch and the four-way blade is awesome. I'm not one of those that hates the vintage switches, but this makes for very easy switching, and the TONES are outrageous!

The Am Pro Jag also has a treble bleed circuit, which is really cool. This means that as you turn down the volume, you don't lose any treble/higher frequencies. Also, the pups are RW/RP so you won't get hum....I forget which positions!

It has a "deep-C" neck and a 9.5" fretboard. I'm partial to 7.25" fretboard and a C neck, so I had concerns about the neck on the Am Pro. But I played the heck out of it for well over 30-40 min, and while it felt a bit off, I think I could get used to it. It's a satin neck and very smooth and nice to play.

I'm very seriously considering this Jag. It's really special, and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

I hope you find a killer Jag soon!

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm

I too have not played an Original. But I can vouch for the Professional. It looks, feels and sounds great, and the switching is really useful. The pickups are really warm. Only complaint about it is the fretboard (lack of) option for the olive & grey finishes, I'm not a fan of maple. I had to get a separate neck to fix that for myself.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm

I own AO & AMPRO Jazzmasters. Both Amazing machines...best Jazzmasters I’ve played and I’ve owned several reissues since the 90’s.

If I had to pick one it would be the AO. The craftsmanship is unmatched even though the AMPRO is also amazing, it’s heavier and I like the pickups better in the AO. I do like the satin finish on the back of the AMPRO neck much better than the glossy AO. That’s the only area it exceeds the AO in my opinion. I’d be VERY happy with either.

But...I know, not Jaguars. Thought I’d give you my impression of both lines though.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Futuron wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm
I too have not played an Original. But I can vouch for the Professional. It looks, feels and sounds great, and the switching is really useful. The pickups are really warm. Only complaint about it is the fretboard (lack of) option for the olive & grey finishes, I'm not a fan of maple. I had to get a separate neck to fix that for myself.
I'm seriously considering an Am Pro Jag in the future and your last sentence is intriguing – was it difficult to source a neck that fit right?

I think I could get used to the deep-C profile but considering I love *everything* else about this guitar, I'd consider a neck swap if need be.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm

patski wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm
I'm seriously considering an Am Pro Jag in the future and your last sentence is intriguing – was it difficult to source a neck that fit right?

I think I could get used to the deep-C profile but considering I love *everything* else about this guitar, I'd consider a neck swap if need be.
Pretty easy with Stratosphere parting out Mexican & US Jaguars! You have new Professional, Vintera, Player & Marr necks to choose from. Mustang necks would fit too, but have the wrong name on the headstock ;) .