amp stands - Is there a duller topic?

Make it loud here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

amp stands - Is there a duller topic?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 am

What do y'all like? As the token old person in my new band I'm running a 1x12 combo and I'd like to get it pointed at my ears.

This puppy seems promising. $30. Folds flat. Low center of gravity.

Anybody using one of these wedge style jawns? My amp is only about 35 pounds and pretty deep for its size. What's appealing about this is it would fold up and fit in the pocket of my amp cover or stuff in the back, so no extra thing to carry.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: amp stands - Is there a duller topic?

Post by jvin248 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 am

Somewhere I saw a new product that worked like a kickstand that mounted to the back of the amp and you flipped it out so the amp tilted. That way you don't have yet another thing to carry to the gig.

What if you saw a couple of wedges from wood to get the tilt you want, remove the current feet, screw the wood to the old feet holes, add new feet to the bottom of the wedges? Hard mount the tilt you want.

Or pull the sound board out of the amp, cut a new one to fit the amp and speaker that you tilt back inside the cabinet. Looking at the amp you wouldn't see the chassis tilt at all, looking in the back you'd see the angled panel. You could make a gap hider strip for the top gap created from the tilt. Save the old soundboard so you can replace it someday back to original.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 am

i think it's better just to raise it up rather than angle it, to avoid getting too much treble beam to your ears. like a beer crate/folding footstool/one of these:

also, tilting a combo amp backwards could mean heat that escapes out of the back just kind of gathers inside.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 am
i think it's better just to raise it up rather than angle it, to avoid getting too much treble beam to your ears. like a beer crate/folding footstool/one of these:

also, tilting a combo amp backwards could mean heat that escapes out of the back just kind of gathers inside.
Having it beam at you is actually the best thing you can do for a live mix because it gives you an accurate idea of what you sound like. Otherwise, all that treble is just beaming at the audience or the sound guy and then you have a shitty live sound for two reasons... The sound guy adjusts accordingly, or lowers you in the mix, and the audience gets killed with treble.

Angle and adjust controls accordingly and you get the best live sound. IME YMMV.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:47 am

I’m using a cranked 5W amp with a treble booster, so it can easily get pretty shrill. I’d rather know if it’s too much and be able to dial it back. I think taking advantage of the beaminess of the amp is the best way to make it work.

I’m not too concerned about heat buildup as long as the vents aren’t blocked.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am

I’ve been using a little tripod one lately (for a jc 77) and I like it more than the taller tilt back ones. (Which are admittedly more solid but annoyingly huge/don’t fold down well, especially the older models).
The tripod angle seems better too.

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 am

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am
I’ve been using a little tripod one lately (for a jc 77) and I like it more than the taller tilt back ones. (Which are admittedly more solid but annoyingly huge/don’t fold down well, especially the older models).
The tripod angle seems better too.
I had a tripod one like that when I was using a JC-120. I always forgot to bring it to shows :fp: . Now i use it to set my Twin Reverb on in my room but I use the arms if I want it tilted back at shows. ;D

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am

I'd like to see one that was strong & light weight built to look like my DRRI that is actually a Case to carry all the misc. Stuff to Gigs & Rehearsals for things like, Cords, Strap, Mic's, Harps, Music book, IPad etc.

It would also double as an Amp Stand that looks really cool!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:21 pm

StevenO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 am
Having it beam at you is actually the best thing you can do for a live mix because it gives you an accurate idea of what you sound like. Otherwise, all that treble is just beaming at the audience or the sound guy and then you have a shitty live sound for two reasons... The sound guy adjusts accordingly, or lowers you in the mix, and the audience gets killed with treble.

Angle and adjust controls accordingly and you get the best live sound. IME YMMV.
ehh i like to have some extra perceived treble on tap for the mix rather than be too loud and still a bit muffled. but every stage/room/band is different!

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I‘m using a book. I’m serious. Thanks for any suggestions, because I think I should replace it with something solid... :D
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:21 pm
StevenO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 am

ehh i like to have some extra perceived treble on tap for the mix rather than be too loud and still a bit muffled. but every stage/room/band is different!
If I read your response right, I think we're in agreement. By having the amp beam at your head/ears, you're hearing your amp as it's intended, treble and all. If you have the amp beaming at your legs, there is a tendency to hear the amp as dull/less trebly and quieter than it actually is (to say the audience).

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:23 am

StevenO wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 am
By having the amp beam at your head/ears, you're hearing your amp as it's intended, treble and all.
i don't think that's right. if you point a guitar speaker at your face, you get more treble from the "beam" - which is only a small, focused part of the air moved by the speaker - which is likely to make you turn down the treble on the guitar/amp. but this means that the sound *outside* the beam is potentially muddy. or, the mic'd signal to the PA is muddy.

in an ideal world, the amp is raised a bit, a few feet away and i'm stood off-angle to it. that way, i'm hearing as much of the whole sound of it as possible, but no funny business from treble beams and stuff.

i think the only way to hear the amp "as intended" is to move far enough away that you're hearing all the frequencies produced by the speaker in balance.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 am

Well yes, obviously... I'm saying what's better for a stage/audience mix from my experience.

There's a reason Leo Fender put tilt back amp legs on the big performance-level Fender amps. Tilt those babies back so you don't kill the audience and you maintain a better stage/monitoring mix.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am

So, I played a show on Friday and since I didn’t have a new stand solution sorted out I brought one that’s a little undersized for the amp that I picked up on Craigslist.

The venue is long and narrow and the stage is in a corner with brick walls. The amp wasn’t miced, so I’m glad I had the stand because I wouldn’t have been able to get any guitar in my monitor even if I wanted it.

My bandmates asked me to bring the treble down which I did. It ended up being pretty hot onstage. Feedback I got from audience members was that I was quieter than the singer’s guitar. Onstage we sounded balanced to me, but with my amp angled up a bit the audience was out of the beam I guess.

If we play this venue again regardless of how my amp is positioned I’m going to ask them to mic my amp and just bring it into the house mix if needed.

I guess my takeaway here is if I go with something different it won’t be that Stagg in the OP as we’ll likely play other places where I won’t get miced.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am
My bandmates asked me to bring the treble down which I did... Feedback I got from audience members was that I was quieter than the singer’s guitar.
that's what i try to avoid with my favoured amp/me positioning method. most of the time, i don't worry about the audience getting the beam (because the PA will always be louder) as much as i worry about me getting the beam, and getting a false impression of my sound as a result.

but there's many ways to skin this cat!