American Pro Jazzmaster Bridge

For help with setups and other technical issues.
KillerLunchboxes
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

American Pro Jazzmaster Bridge

Post by KillerLunchboxes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 am

I purchased my first Jazzmaster a few weeks ago, love the guitar, but I am running into intonation issues and buzzing from the bridge. I bought the Am pro jazzmaster bridge from Darren Rileys, but the set/grub screws on the bridge will not turn. They feel like they are locked in place. Is this correct? I was under the assumption that the bridge would adjust in the same manner as the stock bridge. I searched the forum and the internet but I could not find answers. Any help would be appreciated.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Pro Jazzmaster Bridge

Post by parry » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am

I bought that same bridge from DR (who are great, btw). I've not experienced similar intonation or buzzing issues, but the tolerances on this bridge are TIGHT. Definitely make sure you have the right (extremely small) hex key for the bridge posts. They ARE difficult to turn, but will. After you get that first turn in there, it gets easier. I remember thinking my hex key was going to give-way before the screw did.

Good luck
KillerLunchboxes wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 am
...the set/grub screws on the bridge will not turn. They feel like they are locked in place...
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:03 am

I have one of these bridges on my partsmaster and I haven't had any issues with it. Good bridge.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

If the hex key is hard to turn it suggests you do have the right sized key. But if it's one of the flimsy little bent arm ones ... I find bridge/saddle adjustments easier with a tool with a handle. 0.05" (1.27mm) for MIA and 1.5mm for the rest ... eg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dot-Handle-Hex ... 3561283705
A squirt of WD40 or a drop of 3-in-1 oil may loosen it up.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Spray WD40 into the screw threads. Give it 5 minutes to soak in, and then turn with the right hex Allen wrench.

Once your screws are turning, get a can of Spray White Lithium. Disassemble the bridge, keeping the saddle sand screws in order. This is important. Then spray the white lithium onto every screw thread and into every saddle screw hole. This spray will go everywhere, so have some paper towels ready. Wipe the residue off everything except the screw threads. Reassemble your bridge and you’re good for a lifetime.

Spray white lithium Is a lubricant that is perfect for metal on metal joints. It is lower friction than other Greeces, resistant to water, and doesn’t break down easily. The next time a door in your house is squeaking, this stuff will solve it.

Never use WD40 as a lubricant. WD40 is for penetrating rust and corrosion that is binding two metals together. It does not reduce friction or give long term lubrication.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm
Never use WD40 as a lubricant. WD40 is for penetrating rust and corrosion that is binding two metals together. It does not reduce friction or give long term lubrication.
Good advice; not enough people extoll white lithium grease (the Floyd folks seem married to Chap Stick ::) ) and too many people don't use WD40 properly, though I would usually grab penetrating oil labeled as-such before WD40 (just due to personal experience/success rate.) Probably doesn't matter on a brand new manufactured item anyway.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 pm

WD40 is mostly naptha, with a little oil ...
https://cdn.wd40.com.au/wd-40/images/20 ... Jul-18.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 am

Contrary to the well-meaning advice above... I think it's a good thing that it's a tight fit and i wouldn't do anything to make it less so. After nearly a decade of fighting with bridges on my Jazzmaster (using loctite, glue, snot, wax, voodoo and wishing for rust) to get them to stop from sinking and coming undone; get it set and leave it. Lubricating it so everything moves more freely sounds like asking for problems.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:33 pm

parry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 am
Contrary to the well-meaning advice above... I think it's a good thing that it's a tight fit and i wouldn't do anything to make it less so. After nearly a decade of fighting with bridges on my Jazzmaster (using loctite, glue, snot, wax, voodoo and wishing for rust) to get them to stop from sinking and coming undone; get it set and leave it. Lubricating it so everything moves more freely sounds like asking for problems.
Fair point. But the OP's bridge is stuck solid right now. If it takes something to get it moving so that it can be set up properly to solve its current playing problems, I think that's a reasonable risk. But once the parts are moving they should be cleaned of residue. As you say, long term one does not want a lubricated bridge.