MIM Fender Jaguar vs MIJ Fender Mustang

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
alcidebava
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: MIM Fender Jaguar vs MIJ Fender Mustang

Post by alcidebava » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 am

And I don’t want to route it for humbucking pickups, I want to keep the classic Jag look with cover+claw

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am

I mess about in similar styles and I'd say that, the minute you hit that distortion, the CP pups will sound way better than trad Jag pickups. I have one with AV65 pups (which are utterly, utterly brilliant for clean stuff) and the CP with the hot pups for distorted and fuzzed out stuff. I really wouldn't touch anything on the CP as it does what it does really, really well.

As a side note, AV65 JM and Jag pickups are incredible. I've seen demos of AV65 JM and SD Antiquity II JM pups played side by side and I can't hear any particular difference between them... and neither could many of the people who posted under the video. However, I do think the AV65 Jag pups are even better than the JM ones.

alcidebava
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alcidebava » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:19 am

Hey thanks for that informative response. That’s really good info. Yeah for the time being I probably won’t touch the pickups at all as I’m pretty stoked about this guitar...can’t stop looking at it and just recorded with it the other night with my friends and...felt right. I’m a happy dude

alcidebava
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alcidebava » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:28 am

For anyone interested:

This is what my band sounds like, original that I wrote:

https://m.soundcloud.com/the_paranoids/ ... -paranoids

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54 am

I really like the guitar sound on this - crisp, crunchy and chromatic. What did you use?

alcidebava
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alcidebava » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks so much man!

This was in November I think so that guitar was an Olympic White American Strat my friend owns through an Egnater tube amp. That accounts for 95% of the guitar on that track. Also believe I’m playing a junk Samick guitar for the riff as that’s all I had in my room at that point.

I’m not a producer or mixer by any degree and just have this going from a Shure mic to GarageBand, so I’m sorry for poor sound quality!

www.soundcloud.com/theyetis : this is the sound I had with my old band in a Philadelphia studio, a Rick 330 through a Vox AC15 and a Fender Tele through Deluxe Reverb

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 am

Those are good songs. I'd love a Rick.

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm

alcidebava wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 am
I’ll be playing my Jaguar through a Deluxe Reverb. I have a Boss Distortion pedal and a few EHX pedals. It’s hard for me to say what guitar tone I’m searching for because while I play sort of 60s inspired pop rock, lately I’m kind of into the Thurston Moore noise rock stuff, Pixies, Stooges, stuff like that. I love surf and Beach Boys and classic Jag sounds, but I’m looking to go towards a harder 70s-80s punk/garage rock direction with my band. Some will say I should’ve gotten a Les Paul, but I just wanted that Jaguar. I think it sounds sweet as is rn but again, I love this guitar and am willing to do whatever’s needed to bring it to maximum utility and playability.
Don’t worry about specifying a tone. Based on what you’re running you could switch the pickups or not, but I’d recommend the Antiquities for the voicing with that setup. Let your distortion do the work for drive tones. I normally run pedals into the front of the amp and coax a little bit of breakup, but high output pickups tend to choke my post-gain effects.

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 am

I think you will be really happy with the CP Jag, I have the Jazzmaster and they're really solid guitars. For medium to high gain sounds the stock pickups are voiced to eliminate some of the ice-pick frequencies and push your preamp a bit harder.

I mainly play a MIJ Mustang with SD STK-4 pickups into an Egnater Tweaker 88 in a punk pop band. (Think Ramones-core with some Alkaline Trio and Gamits mixed in.) I use the Fendery setting on the Egnater for a high headroom Deluxe/Vibrolux kind of tone.

Lately, I've been messing around with gain pedals and found the Fulltone OCD and a clone of a ProCo Rat to be most useful for the range of drive of the eras you've mentioned. I also use an Empress Multidrive about half the time depending on the song. The JHS Morning Glory and Angry Charlie seem to pair well with Fender style breakup as well.