Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:15 am

If Fender was to sell this, I would be very interested.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:56 am

I'd be all over it as well! I find this bridge beautiful.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am

Trout wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 am
kgbAttack wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 pm
I absolutely love mine, I did not mess with The screws but I always assumed they were there to slide for intonation, not to adjust height. Then again I didn’t think to check it’s radius, but I will now as I’m curious.
Slide in what direction?? In my square head it can only be up and down :wacko:
From the earlier pic it appears there are notches in the base, covered by the saddle on top. The screw both secures the saddle to the base, and also can slide forward and back within its constraints by the notch. In theory ;)
Last edited by Danley on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:39 am

I'll wait for better pics ;)
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 am

I have two JMs with these bridges. They are rocking. They also give a nice airiness to the sound and are rock solid -- I've never had a string jump its channel. The screws are for intonation.

I would buy two more if, as one person said, Fender wasn't so damn tight with its sh*t.

Some people don't care for the looks of them, but they work.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 am

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 am
I have two JMs with these bridges. They are rocking.
:-*
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 am

Some people don't care for the looks of them
That's me! A purple assed baboon wouldn't play a guitar with that bridge on it if it were playing at a turd convention. Those things offend my sense of aesthetics with all the roughness of a sandpapered dildo. If they were a person I'd fight them. Also, that person would be ugly beyond human comprehension.

As for the screws, I always had them figured for intonation adjustments, where tightening it just pulls the saddle down onto the bridge. Loosen, nudge it into place, tighten down. Same two point per saddle adjustment geometry as on a Mastery, basically.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am

Those things offend my sense of aesthetics with all the roughness of a sandpapered dildo. If they were a person I'd fight them. Also, that person would be ugly beyond human comprehension.
Wait, do you mean a dildo covered in sandpaper, or a dildo that has been sanded to a smooth, lustrous and heirloom quality finish with high grit finishing paper, possibly 3000 grit?

Because I'm glad you brought it up because that's what I use on my artisanal handcrafted Olde Tyme dildos that I've been selling on Etsy and at craft fairs and such. Trying to bring a little handmade old world quality to a product that's been taken for granted by the impersonal offshore manufacturing practices of Big Dildo.

My handcrafted artisanal dildos pair well with an American Pale Ale or two for a quiet weekend night at home one won't forget, or at least that's what I have written on the informational pamphlets at my booth. Business is taking a little longer to take off than I had thought. Not sure why, I am sure that people will come around to the craftsmanship of my dildos soon enough, I mean, you can buy a cheap dildo anywhere but with my dildo, you'll know it was crafted and handled personally by Larry Mal.

I like this bridge, though. Very artisanal. I like artisanal things.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:13 am

According to an earlier rant of yours, Larry, you hate artisanal things, or at least that everything under the sun is now being marketed in artisanal terms, including guitars.

Well, I meant "sandpapered" when I said that. The same way that a frilled lizard is "frilled". Or that a penis, according to Nabokov, can be a "thrashing, blooded fish".

That bridge takes harpoons to my poor eyes. Artisanal ones, made of ivory, hand carved by only the remotest living of eskimos. Nothing modern about these harpoons or the lifestyle of the people that made them. Pure old fashioned, yanked from the mouth of a walrus, forged by pure gumption harpoons. Straight into my eyeballs. All because some fucking clown doesn't understand the aesthetic limits of asymmetry.
This is an excellent rectangle

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am

Aesthetically the bridge seems nice but I could not imagine choosing a situation where I limited my intonation options. I've got everything from a 1975 Fender Precision to a XII that just came out of the factory and they all benefit from fining tuning options if needed. In the case of PawnShop Bass VI, tweaking the intonation was critical to making the instrument playable. I had to put a staytrem on it and even then I wish I could tweak the height of the saddles.

On a semi-related note, is the concept here similar to those one-piece bridges I see on Gibsons sometimes? Where it's just a piece of metal with no option to intonate at all?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 am

Part of me wonders if the precise need for placement to get good intonation (even if the saddles have some small adjustable range) is why Fender doesn’t release these to slap on any offset and rather offers them through the custom shop.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am

visually, i think it's trying way too hard to look flashy, like a duesenberg or gretsch or something. i think that's why they're trying to keep it for the custom shop only?

practically, if it works well then i'd use it!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

burpgun wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am
Aesthetically the bridge seems nice but I could not imagine choosing a situation where I limited my intonation options.
An acoustic guitar, the banjo, a violin, a cello, the saz, the hammered dulcimer, the viola da gamba, the theorbo, the oud, the double bass, the lute, the ukulele, the piano... can you imagine those?

All of those have fixed bridges.

I could go on and on. Funny how all these instruments managed to sound great throughout history, but the mass produced, factory made electric guitar just somehow can't manage what all those instruments do.

It's the construction, people. Electric guitars are made to a very low standard of construction, or at least they were when they came up with the six individual saddles. If your electric guitar was made to the same sink or swim standards that even mid-level acoustic guitars and literally every other acoustic instrument ever had to be made to, then it would not need a bridge with adjustable saddles either.

But it's not. They've fooled you into thinking something worse is something better.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm
Calm down, Yngwie.
RIDETHEFOCKINGFURY

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am
burpgun wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am
Aesthetically the bridge seems nice but I could not imagine choosing a situation where I limited my intonation options.
An acoustic guitar, the banjo, a violin, a cello, the saz, the hammered dulcimer, the viola da gamba, the theorbo, the oud, the double bass, the lute, the ukulele, the piano... can you imagine those?

All of those have fixed bridges.

I could go on and on. Funny how all these instruments managed to sound great throughout history, but the mass produced, factory made electric guitar just somehow can't manage what all those instruments do.

It's the construction, people. Electric guitars are made to a very low standard of construction, or at least they were when they came up with the six individual saddles. If your electric guitar was made to the same sink or swim standards that even mid-level acoustic guitars and literally every other acoustic instrument ever had to be made to, then it would not need a bridge with adjustable saddles either.

But it's not. They've fooled you into thinking something worse is something better.
I know what you mean but in the real world, with the stuff I've got, more adjustability is better than less. I'm just being pragmatic here. It would be nice if the overall standard was higher, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk a fixed bridge on my nicest, most modern instrument, my U.S. Jaguar bass, which I'd assume was made to the highest standard short of the custom shop.